Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and "th"

Options
  • 12-08-2013 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I recently moved to New York and for the first time in my entire life I am not surrounded by Irish people. My workmates are all American and they correct me every time that I try and pronounce certain "th" words (three being the exact same as tree,thunder,third,thrift.....). I really only began to notice that I can't say th's. Is this the case with most Irish people or is it just a Dublin thing? It's beginning to annoy me and its funny that I really only noticed now with the fact that I live in a foreign country. It's as if the th sound doesn't exist in our pronouncation or even possibly in the same way that British people can't or don't pronounce the letter r

I would love to know if anyone else noticed this or if its just a minority of Irish people that can't find the th?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Just a habit of where you lived in ireland i guess?
    Like some people say "wesht" or "shtick" while others might say "gawd" and "loike"

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dr hoRse

con1421 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I recently moved to New York and for the first time in my entire life I am not surrounded by Irish people. My workmates are all American and they correct me every time that I try and pronounce certain "th" words (three being the exact same as tree,thunder,third,thrift.....). I really only began to notice that I can't say th's. Is this the case with most Irish people or is it just a Dublin thing? It's beginning to annoy me and its funny that I really only noticed now with the fact that I live in a foreign country. It's as if the th sound doesn't exist in our pronouncation or even possibly in the same way that British people can't or don't pronounce the letter r

I would love to know if anyone else noticed this or if its just a minority of Irish people that can't find the th?

First of all, have you lived in a bubble somewhere in Dublin all your life with no contact with any one from outside Dublin?

and to answer the point, as far as I'm aware we don't have the soft th in Irish so it has possibly stemmed from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Just stop saying three. Go from two to four. Problem solved me auld china!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Pat Spillane is a perfect example of this I noticed the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Dr hoRse wrote: »
    First of all, have you lived in a bubble somewhere in Dublin all your life with no contact with any one from outside Dublin?

Where are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Yeah it seems normal here but when you go to places were they pronounce words correctly it actually makes you sound a bit stupid (to the locals there). Even my gf who is non Irish but lived here for most of her life talks like that and no amount of correcting her does anything, she just can't do it, when she does she goes way overboard and says it like 'THA-ree'. I don't know why more of an effort is not made in schools to insist on the correct way, especially considering that three and tree are completely different words. Loads of people also do it when the 'th' is in the middle of the word, pronouncing it as a d. And I'm sorry but referring to family members as mudder, fahdder, and brudder, just makes you sound like a child who hasn't learned to speak properly yet. But to be honest I find English people, ironically enough are even worse for bad pronunciation. "Ya wha'?" in particular drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Hi guys,

I'd be annoyed if I had moved to a new country and my workmates continuously corrected how I spoke. I know there's a recession but come the f**k home quick ;) Or at least politely ask your workmates have they ever met anyone from outside New York before and if they always are so rude to new people. They need to get over themselves and you need to treasure you're accent and don't dare change it.

It's just laziness.

Funnier is the people who try to do it properly and end up saying "hyth" for "height".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

It's just laziness.

Funnier is the people who try to do it properly and end up saying "hyth" for "height".

Cant stand that. And people who pronounce Tongue THongue. Feckin Galweigans are the worst for that craic. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Things you notice when you move abroad:

1) it's easier to pronounce the th in words
    2) it's easier to use local words instead of your traditional analog (like using trash/garbage instead of rubbish)
    3) it's easier to drop all Irish slang

You can opt not to do any of the three above, but expect to be asked to repeat things over and over again. Sometimes due to amusement, sometimes due to them genuinely not knowing what you say. The "th" thing in particular is one you should get into the swing of very quickly if you don't already pronounce it. I occasionally go to far, th-ing things that aren't th's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

COYVB wrote: »
    Things you notice when you move abroad:

1) it's easier to pronounce the th in words
    2) it's easier to use local words instead of your traditional analog (like using trash/garbage instead of rubbish)
    3) it's easier to drop all Irish slang

You can opt not to do any of the three above, but expect to be asked to repeat things over and over again. Sometimes due to amusement, sometimes due to them genuinely not knowing what you say. The "th" thing in particular is one you should get into the swing of very quickly if you don't already pronounce it. I occasionally go to far, th-ing things that aren't th's

I don't know about number 3).

I spent a summer in the US and when I kept saying "yoke" (as in, "that yoke") people thought I was talking about eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MoogPoo

djflawless wrote: »
    Just a habit of where you lived in ireland i guess?
    Like some people say "wesht" or "shtick" while others might say "gawd" and "loike"

dis

That's kinda my point though, they have no idea what you're on about

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, its just you Dubs, the rest of us can speak fairly well.

I always wondered why you folk can't pronounce the 'th' - have they not been teaching infants how to pronounce words using phonics? If so, then you ain't listening in some parts of the country!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hi guys,

Tell them to **** off next time they correct you.
    Useless ***** can't even pronounce Aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have to say I find it irritating, I know it's just the way they learned to speak but I always notice it even though I hear it daily.

"hello dere, dese are my tree favorite types of tree..."

and then when it comes to a word that requires no "th" sound, they are suddenly well able to use it!!

"I had a therrible time a school, de Christian budders thought me tea-ology..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Diction Nazis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

No more grammar and spelling threads, please! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Seaneh wrote: »
    Tell them to **** off next time they correct you.

Exactly what I was going to say:pac:

This also came to mind..next time they correct you say this;

Seaneh wrote: »

The word is actually aluminum in north america - they're not pronouncing it wrong, it's a whole different word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Just stop saying three. Go from two to four. Problem solved me auld china!

But three shall be the number...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

sligoface wrote: »
    Yeah it seems normal here but when you go to places were they pronounce words correctly it actually makes you sound a bit stupid (to the locals there). Even my gf who is non Irish but lived here for most of her life talks like that and no amount of correcting her does anything, she just can't do it, when she does she goes way overboard and says it like 'THA-ree'. I don't know why more of an effort is not made in schools to insist on the correct way, especially considering that three and tree are completely different words. Loads of people also do it when the 'th' is in the middle of the word, pronouncing it as a d. And I'm sorry but referring to family members as mudder, fahdder, and brudder, just makes you sound like a child who hasn't learned to speak properly yet. But to be honest I find English people, ironically enough are even worse for bad pronunciation. "Ya wha'?" in particular drives me mental.
    There are two "th" sounds, the "th" of three, thing, thought etc and "th" in this, that, them etc the first becomes t the second becomes d, and if it wasn't for regional changes in pronunciation that happen with all languages then (almost) everyone from India to Galway would be speaking the same language identically and with the same accent, there would be no such thing as Hindi, Russian, German, English, Irish...... or any of the variety of Indo-European languages, because it is these changes that gradually create different languages.

How people can consider this quite natural aspect of language as a bad thing is beyond me, really there is no such thing as a proper way to speak as accents vary so wildly across the planet, who is to say which is the correct one. The attitude among some seems to be "My accent is the right one".

There used to be a "th" and "dh"* in Irish eg; the th in Maith (good) in old Irish was pronounced as th in thing (listen here for the sound of Old Irish, taken from this fascinating site) that this sound was lost in the language influences how we speak today just as much of our speech is influenced by that language.
    One thing we have that other English speakers have lost is the second person plural, it is great to be able to distinguish between talking to one person using "you" and more than one using "ye" (like French, German and many other languages can) some hate this but it really is an addition to our language that makes it more expressive.
    Accents for the win!!!!!

* "Th" as in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

sligoface wrote: »
    Yeah it seems normal here but when you go to places were they pronounce words correctly it actually makes you sound a bit stupid (to the locals there).

Don't worry. People who can't pronounce their 'th' sound equally stupid in Ireland. There are just more stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

OP remind them that English is not your first language, problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Foreigners have different accent to me shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

An English friend of mine who speaks very clearly had problems with Americans not understanding her.

For example she asked for the Fitting room in a clothes shop and the response was : we don't have a fishing department.

She also couldn't ever other water! Wah-Tahh causes them to think you're looking for some strange foreign beer.

Its wart-err in the US

Another a London friend of mine got "Im sorry sir. You'll have to speak English. I don't know what your are saying'

He has a strong South London accent.

They all bust out laughing when he says bathroom (barfroom)

You have a barf room in England?? Gee! The food must be bad!

The most ignorant thing I ever saw though was two middle aged women from somewhere with very standard accents mocking a Bostonian cafe owner and laughing at everything she said.

She just got really patronising with them.

'That's a cappuccino... You probably haven't seen one before... It's coffee with frothed milk..'

I'm pretty sure it possibly came with free saliva!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I generally find Americans to be completely oblivious to the concept of different variations of English. This varies from amusement to aggression (in extreme cases).

I think a lot of this is down to the fact that Americans don't get much exposure to non-American things whereas we get a lot of exposure to American and English things so we're used to hearing people speaking English in different ways with different accents. At best, Americans are familiar with Canadian English and even then they spend a lot of time taking the piss out of them for it.

English people are better at this as there is a lot of variation within England itself and they get a lot of exposure to Scottish, Welsh and ourselves.

OP, you have a different accent, it's fine. Your co-workers sound like complete tools, tbh.

Also, I've never heard any Irish person trying to make a th sound in a place where it doesn't belong, I find it hard to believe that this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Newsflash: Accents exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hi guys,

Ask them by return to kindly stop omitting "u" from certain words, and to replace aluminum with aluminium etc. If they don't speak english properly, why should you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Tell them you'll pronouce your TH's correctly when they starting spelling correctly. e.g. colour/color, memorise/memorize.

Advertisement