Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when you want to cheer yourself up

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I think it depends on the focus of the bad mood.

Are you feeling lonely or isolated? If so reach out to family or friends or even your GP.

Are you just down for no apparent reason feeling low, no energy? Exercise is the only cure for this in my opinion and it doesn't have to be mad jogging or push ups just get out and go for a stroll.

I suffered depression for a number of years and was on medication for a long time. Sometimes I just took to the bed for the day feeling sorry for myself and have a good cry you'd be surprised how that can get it out of your system.

I often found "spring cleaning" made me feel better but this could be a female thing!

The one thing that saved me though was my dog, unwavering love and loyalty and she needs to be walked everyday whether I want to or not I'm off medication since shortly after I got her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Suas11 wrote: »
    I have thought about that. I sometimes do feel depressed for no particular reason but this is the worst I've felt in a long time. I'm 99% sure I have some form of social anxiety and that makes going to meetings all the more daunting. I might give it a go though if things don't improve.

Would you be in a position to try one to one counseling if a group setting is too daunting for you?
    I've done counseling myself and it gave me great tools to break cycles of negative thinking.
    Best thing I ever did was talk to my gp about how I was feeling.

Best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Lisha wrote: »
    Would you be in a position to try one to one counseling if a group setting is too daunting for you?
    I've done counseling myself and it gave me great tools to break cycles of negative thinking.
    Best thing I ever did was talk to my gp about how I was feeling.

Best of luck op

I'd definitely much more prefer one on one counseling. Opening up would be hard enough for me without being in the middle of a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'd definitely much more prefer one on one counseling. Opening up would be hard enough for me without being in the middle of a group.

Counseling is the best thing I ever did. My gp recommended someone and it was so worth it.

I think everyone should have a chat with some one every few yrs or so. We all carry baggage.

Good luck again suas11

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

ben and jerrys while watching videos of people falling on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭conspiracycat

I think you should go to the zoo, its exercise as you would be walking around and it would get your mind off things by looking at the animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I just took all my sheets and bedclothes in off the line and inhaled them with a cup of tea. The thought of falling asleep in them makes me happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

if you end up going to GP he will give you tablets and they are pretty unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I learned an ancient massage technique that puts me in a good place (but I can only perform it once a day) and no it's not a ****. although it's close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Apologies to everyone but I only read OP initial post and jumped to last. I love to go either fishing, shooting or just for a walk with the dogs. It does not matter if I catch fish, shoot rabbets/pheasants/pigeons etc. Once Iam out and about on the land, that always cheers me up irrespective of the weather conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Listen to some Dubliners' songs, some are a bit sad but most are uplifting and cheer ya up, Finnegan's Wake and The Sick Note are 2 classics :)

Also, look in to volunteering, helping the elderly is good, or helping the homeless, it can lift yer spirits a lot knowing that you've helped folks who are worse off than ya.

I think situations in life are all relative, what me or you may consider a low is just another day to some folk out there, help where ye can and you may make someone else have a good day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Anyway, what do you do when you want to beat the blues?
    Play them at hurling;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I think the advise to see your GP and try counselling if you're feeling seriously depressed is definitely worth taking on board.

Other than that, I always find it helps me to get up and do something.
    Now, it doesn't really matter what that "something" actually is, as long as it involves either getting your brain active or your body, or if possible both.
    Me, I love going for a swim, going for a walk, cooking or baking something, pottering about in the garden, or painting a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Singing along with really sad songs. Eventually you feel like a bit of an eejit, and that paradoxically cheers me up. I don't generally like C&W, but it's great for this.

Going for a hard fast walk outdoors. You have to force yourself to up the pace, because you feel like dawdling (in fact you don't feel like going out at all - but that just keeps you down).

Doing anything, rather than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

I put on something like this and crank up the volume, does the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

Elbaston wrote: »
    Seriously though OP.

Sometimes its just a matter of sitting it out, it might drag out but everything changes - including good moods unfortunately - . If Im really in a fowler and sht just wont stop I hop in the car, drive away from it all, try to make it to somewhere remote without killing myself or others, sit in a quiet scenic spot if I can find one, mobile on silent, fckwit radio hosts switched off, gawk out the window for a good while trying to relax and thinking about nothing. Or even meditate.

Better chance of finding your way out of the poo after a little chill.

You left out the whole section on having a ****. :confused::confused::confused:

I fire up a fatty and crank up the volume on RL Burnsides '' Ass Pocket of Whiskey'' album

blues to chase the blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

Valium mixed with a horse tranquilizer...........

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

Report your neighbor for being a pedophile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Do something for someone else.

Inevitably you'll feel better after it.

That's advice, that's not what I do.

I ****

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Throw on some Luke Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

elvisn wrote: »
    You left out the whole section on having a ****. :confused::confused::confused:
    Elbaston probably isn't in the mood for self loving after just finding his/her way out of the poo. Ewwww.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Watch/listen to something that brings back fond memories. Works every time

Advertisement