Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when you want to cheer yourself up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

All these **** references.
    Do you think thats why UTV's Frank Mitchell is always so stupidly happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I light fires. Cars are burny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

keith16 wrote: »
    Go for a short run - cold shower after. Great endorphin release.

Actually, judging by the first few posts, I reckon there are a good few around here who could do with a cold shower :)

Good shout. I haven't been able to brave a complete cold shower yet but have started switching it to cold at end of normal shower, great feeling after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Get someone to tickle you. Always works for my nieve and nephew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Watch precious the movie(fiction. It's about a girl whose is subjected to sexual and physical abuse by her father. After watching it you think to yourself my day might have been **** but at least I have it easier than millions of other people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

hfallada wrote: »
    Watch precious the movie(fiction. It's about a girl whose is subjected to sexual and physical abuse by her father. After watching it you think to yourself my day might have been **** but at least I have it easier than millions of other people

Nah, that'll just make me feel worse. Sad music usually makes me feel better when I'm depressed but sad movies it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Watch online videos of other people making fools of themselves.

hfallada wrote: »
    I do that at times.
    But not Precious.
    I watch Geordie Shore for the same reason.

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Watch online videos of other people making fools of themselves.
    don't you have RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Count my money from my tissue sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

I thanked every ****.

While ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Exercise is key my friend. Leave your problems on the squat rack, pitch, punch bag, track or pavement. Whatever your choice of exercise a good tough workout will leave you feeling a million times better. The amount of times I am stressed or pissed off and all I do is workout and the problems seem minuscule after. And no AH a **** doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I stick on some music and I turn it up really loud.

I also look up random stuff on Youtube like Flashmobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Watch This!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I remind myself Margaret Thatcher is still dead.

Seriously though OP.

Sometimes its just a matter of sitting it out, it might drag out but everything changes - including good moods unfortunately - . If Im really in a fowler and sht just wont stop I hop in the car, drive away from it all, try to make it to somewhere remote without killing myself or others, sit in a quiet scenic spot if I can find one, mobile on silent, fckwit radio hosts switched off, gawk out the window for a good while trying to relax and thinking about nothing. Or even meditate.

Better chance of finding your way out of the poo after a little chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Augmerson wrote: »
    I remind myself Margaret Thatcher is still dead.

For now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Go for a walk

Read a book

Eat chocolate

Bake stuff

If I'm agitated, them weirdly I find reorganizing clothes helps. Getting rid of kids too small clothes etc. I suppose it makes me feel in control maybe.

Talk to a friend.

Take kids to cinema.

Lisha wrote: »
    Go for a walk

Read a book

Eat chocolate

Bake stuff

If I'm agitated, them weirdly I find reorganizing clothes helps. Getting rid of kids too small clothes etc. I suppose it makes me feel in control maybe.

Talk to a friend.

Take kids to cinema.
    "getting rid of kids too,"??
    And "small clothes"?

M'kay.

• Advertisement

"getting rid of kids too,"??
    And "small clothes"?

M'kay.

Ahh did mocking my poor syntax make you feel better ? ?

Obviously I meant getting rid of clothes that my kids have out grown.
    But you knew that :)

Elbaston wrote: »
    Seriously though OP.

Sometimes its just a matter of sitting it out, it might drag out but everything changes - including good moods unfortunately - . If Im really in a fowler and sht just wont stop I hop in the car, drive away from it all, try to make it to somewhere remote without killing myself or others, sit in a quiet scenic spot if I can find one, mobile on silent, fckwit radio hosts switched off, gawk out the window for a good while trying to relax and thinking about nothing. Or even meditate.

Better chance of finding your way out of the poo after a little chill.

That sounds like it might help, although I don't have a car.

I do think that exercise would be a good thing too although when I'm feeling like this I don't usually have the energy for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Lisha wrote: »
    Ahh did mocking my poor syntax make you feel better ? ?

Obviously I meant getting rid of clothes that my kids have out grown.
    But you knew that :)

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/312/563/05d.jpg

outgrown what? You?

MONSTER

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

No. Lisha means the clothes that they have outgrown. But, to paraphrase what she said, you knew that already. I think her link needs to be posted again now. http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/312/563/05d.jpg

1ZRed wrote: »
    Shoot pandas

But pandas are so cute

Suas11 wrote: »
    That sounds like it might help, although I don't have a car.

I do think that exercise would be a good thing too although when I'm feeling like this I don't usually have the energy for it.

The hardest part to exercising is getting off the couch, putting on shoes and get out the door. Just try and focus on starting and once you start it will be worth it.
    Maybe download couch to 5k app.

Don't beat yourself up about what you did not do just focus on what you did achieve. Set attainable targets.

Be kind to yourself and see your gp if you can't get out of the slump on your own.

Good luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Like Lisha said there, if you remain in the slump, perhaps you could seek outside help. I would be inclined to go for Aware if you are reluctant to acknowledge that it might be a clinical thing. The meetings can be daunting when you first go, but I have only ever met friendly people at them. Also, the hardest part of exercise is starting to do it. But if you get into a routine of exercising daily, you will soon feel better, and you more than likely won't want to stop there. It is quite an addictive practice I believe and it is a win win for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

I think exercise is the way to go and some good tunes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

If I'm angry it's weights and the punch bag, if I'm sad or upset its beer and a hookup

• Advertisement

Like Lisha said there, if you remain in the slump, perhaps you could seek outside help. I would be inclined to go for Aware if you are reluctant to acknowledge that it might be a clinical thing. The meetings can be daunting when you first go, but I have only ever met friendly people at them. Also, the hardest part of exercise is starting to do it. But if you get into a routine of exercising daily, you will soon feel better, and you more than likely won't want to stop there. It is quite an addictive practice I believe and it is a win win for you too.

I have thought about that. I sometimes do feel depressed for no particular reason but this is the worst I've felt in a long time. I'm 99% sure I have some form of social anxiety and that makes going to meetings all the more daunting. I might give it a go though if things don't improve.

Advertisement