Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Irish soccer have a problem with hooliganism?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

100s too and I have seen trouble in
    Showgrounds
    Ballybonfey
    Tolka
    Limerick
    Dundalk
    Galway
    Talla
    Derry

Someone getting angry at an offside flag and slamming their curry chips down on the ground doesn't count as trouble.

What were the incidents in Tolka btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you read the thread it has been stated many times most of the trouble doesn't take place in the grounds, so I wouldn't expect you to see it.

So in other words, the "trouble" that you are wringing your hands about poses zero threat to match-going or potential match-going people and in fact is no where near LOI grounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

anncoates wrote: »
    So in other words, the "trouble" that you are wringing your hands about poses zero threat to match-going or potential match-going people and in fact is no where near LOI grounds?

This thread isn't about a threat to people who go to the matches its about trouble in league of Ireland football.

Look man, I'm telling the truth you either believe it or not, if you don't that's your decision, I'm just telling it how I have witnessed it, simple as that.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Someone getting angry at an offside flag and slamming their curry chips down on the ground doesn't count as trouble.

What were the incidents in Tolka btw?

Bohs rovers about ten years ago kicking lumps out of each other behind the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I've been going to LOI games since 1988 and bar an incident involving a handful of Shamrock Rovers 'fans' in Sligo last year I never witnessed any trouble. Those who caused the trouble that night are apparently banned from their home games so they don't really have any association whatsoever to the club or to the league.

Drunk lads shouting a bit of abuse is the worst you generally see.

There may be an odd isolated incident, but to say Irish football has a hooligan problem is madness.

If somebody who has been going to games regularly for as long as I have wants to dispute that, then fine, but somebody who doesn't follow the league trawling Youtube for an odd video really shouldnt have their opinions listened to.

I agree with that post.

I've been supporting LoI football since the mid-60's!

My father RiP brought me to my first game in Sligo Showgrounds when I was about 6/7. He was very protective of his kids and I can assure you he wouldn't have brought me to somewhere dangerous.
    Likewise I started bringing my son in the early 90's when he had just started school. If it wasn't safe I wouldn't have brought him either.

I've been to every football ground in the LoI, (including some that no longer exist) some many,many times and I've seen every team (including some that no longer exist also) several times down the years and can only say I've enjoyed every minute!

If the instances that people have trawled the net to highlight were a regular occurance, at some ground every week, then I would say there was a problem.

But the answer to the original question is simply NO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Bohs rovers about ten years ago kicking lumps out of each other behind the goal.

At this stage, I'd wager that you're either an Outraged From Tunbridge Wells type or more likely, you have an specific agenda: either a rival supporter of the teams you're talking about or a GAA or Rugby head stirring shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

At this stage, I'd wager that you're either an Outraged From Tunbridge Wells type or more likely, you have an specific agenda: either a rival supporter of the teams you're talking about or a GAA or Rugby head stirring shit.

I'd be lying if i said i hadnt tought the same.

Whatever, just telling it how I seen it, not saying its a major problem but its there, no need for the smart arse digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Does Irish soccer have a problem with hooliganism?

No, but it possibly might have a weird empty beer keg throwing fetish.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thanks for reminding us why we don't allow sport realted threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement