Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Irish soccer have a problem with hooliganism?

Options
  • 10-08-2013 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

I was watching a documentary there the other night on 3e and they came out with this rather startling fact: It takes more Gardai to police the 4,300 crowd at Dalymount Park, than it does for a typical rugby international. I used to live around the ground and remember the heavy atmosphere before games with the huge police presence.

They also showed this clip (along with others) as an illustration of the levels of violence sometimes seen at Irish soccer games.

A quick search of Youtube will yield plenty of results showing LOI supporters causing trouble in and around the grounds of the teams they follow. Are these hooligans (or casuals) now a problem for LOI and Irish soccer in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Does it exist? Yes. Is it a problem? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A problem with knackers, yes.. I'm not sure I'd call it hooliganism though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

No it does not, you obviously get people who want to cause trouble at every event, sporting or not, but most LOI games pass trouble free.

Get the odd spot of trouble at the usual grudge games etc, but nothing that warrants getting worried about IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Ah this one! Been a league of Ireland fan all my life and never seen one incident or not felt safe at a match. That documentary if I remember was basically centered around what kids were posting on Bebo groups at the time. Horrible sensationalist stuff. They spent ten minutes talking about a man swinging an umbrella in some other blokes direction outside tolka park.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

It's pretty small scale and just a bunch if wanna bees really. I can understand the Tribalism and trying to create an intimidating atmosphere but this crack of arranging to meet up and fight is just braindead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Seriously, that tv3 documentary is still being shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

The game they refer to at Dalymount is the game against Shamrock Rovers. Any other week there would be only a handful of cops.

So yes there is a problem between Bohs and Rovers but not in general in Irish soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

no, a few idiots don't count

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

I was watching a documentary there the other night on 3e and they came out with this rather startling fact: It takes more Gardai to police the 4,300 crowd at Dalymount Park, than it does for a typical rugby international. I used to live around the ground and remember the heavy atmosphere before games with the huge police presence.

They also showed this clip (along with others) as an illustration of the levels of violence sometimes seen at Irish soccer games.

A quick search of Youtube will yield plenty of results showing LOI supporters causing trouble in and around the grounds of the teams they follow. Are these hooligans (or casuals) now a problem for LOI and Irish soccer in general?

You want to go to Millwall v West Ham in the good old days if you want to see real hooliganism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

babaracus wrote: »
    The game they refer to at Dalymount is the game against Shamrock Rovers. Any other week there would be only a handful of cops.

So yes there is a problem between Bohs and Rovers but not in general in Irish soccer.

That's not true at all. I've been a Bohs fan for 10 years and never seen trouble. Of course if you're looking for a fight in Temple bar, at a football match, out in town or on holidays etc it's there for you. It's a social problem that society has to deal with it's certainly not a problem in the league in general.

TV3 used footage that's about 10 years old and tried to pass it as news. Clubs themselves have mostly dealt with that and garda activity has almost hindered the clubs' internal workings.

Most clubs have long lists of banned football supporters and that's not at the request of the gardai. Clubs don't want their names tarnished by a few scrotes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

No real problem. Just a few skangers and pavement dancers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The "fact" RE police numbers was later rubbished by Gardaí I believe.

There's certainly no significant hooligan problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Just look up bohs and rovers on you tube, there is 6 or 7 videos of organised fights, also seen trouble down in cork a few times and at saint pats.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EssabalHwlY#

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=dVW-2FkHpog#

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

And is this drastically removed from the behaviour of non-footballing supporting scumbags? 6/7 incidents on YouTube in a fixture that has taken place hundreds of times doesn't represent some epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Are these people not referred to as "pavement dancers". Apparently a fella also superglued a beer keg to his hands as he took several attempts to launch it.

Lets face it if they really wanted to fight they wouldn't hv danced about and sang songs like " it's so fleckig easy" to each other.

Bit homo erotic sounding to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

The worst crime shown in that program is 30 rovers fans breaking the speed limit as they run away down Richmond Road.

LOI games are safe and entertaining. The only thing missing is the best fans in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gotsh1tes.

It's all bleedin' dis and that but when they start singing its with an English accent. Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

There were 10 LOI matches played this weekend throughout the country. There will have been more violence outside chippers in any rural town last night than at the football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There is no problem. Theres a few idiots yes but nothing major. If anything rival supporters of Irish teams tend to be more civil with each other than supporters from other countries.

I know of lads who drink with rival fans before and after a match and are even friends with some of them.

This is just TV3 sensationalising a few minor incidents involving a few idiots. Any LOI supporter knows its nonsense but unfortunately it does seem to be believed by non-LOI supporters who've never attended the game which has unfairly damaged the LOI reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There is a small organised hooligan problem.
    There is a major skanger problem at games. Some places are not the type of place you'd bring your kids.

• Advertisement

Some places are not the type of place you'd bring your kids.

LOI grounds are not one of these place. Perfectly safe for kids and a night out they'll enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There is a small organised hooligan problem.
    There is a major skanger problem at games. Some places are not the type of place you'd bring your kids.

If anything i think its a great place to bring kids. There's always been a lot of kids at the games ive been to and theres never been any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭BQQ

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Ah this one! Been a league of Ireland fan all my life and never seen one incident or not felt safe at a match.
    BOHtox wrote: »
    That's not true at all. I've been a Bohs fan for 10 years and never seen trouble.

Methinks the lads protest too much. ;)
    The problem is small in comparison to most countries, but it does exist.

LouthDrog, I seem to recall the Bohs team bus being attacked in Drogheda a couple of years ago. Did you miss that game?

And BOHtox! No trouble at bohs in 10 years? LOL
    Long history of trouble between Bohs and Rovers. Give us a break.

I wouldn't be a big LOI fan, but in the say 50 games I've been to I've witnessed trouble at several grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Not been to too many LOI matches but I did go to Rovers vs Bohs a season or two ago. No problems that I saw but definitely an edge to it that I've not seen in any English football that I've seen for a very long time.

I thought the atmosphere was tremendous, for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

greenflash wrote: »

LOI games are safe and entertaining. The only thing missing is the best fans in the world.

Only thing missing is excitement and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

BOHtox wrote: »
    That's not true at all. ...

Most clubs have long lists of banned football supporters...
    If there is no likelihood of trouble, why do clubs have such lists?

Okay, you may argue that banning certain supporters is the solution, and that trouble has been reduced or eliminated because of it. But the lists would never have been created if there never was a history of trouble.

Great contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Compared to British football's (largely ignored) problems, Ireland has no issues. I've been at Old Trafford where there has been a running pitched battle on the forecourt with police horses wading in, only to see nothing about it in the media. They might have moved it out of the stadium's but the problem is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I used to be big into football but to be honest all of it now seems boring to me.
    Think the fact that pro footballers are on such obscene wages has put me off.

Re hooligans I can't imagine the Loi has much of a problem. Probably similar to up here in the Irish league a few games have potential for trouble but mostly just a few spides acting hard.

The 2 religions can sometimes be a factor but the most likely game for aggro here would be linfield v glentoran. Both protestant support but they hate each other and have been numerous pitched (literally) battles. You tube it for examples.

Footie hooligans from all sides always say they only fight other firms but this is total rubbish. Inevitably they hunt in large packs picking on opposing supporters wearing colours. They will then write a book about it in 10 years claiming they ran off x or y team firm. It's all rather pathetic really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

timthumbni wrote: »
    I used to be big into football but to be honest all of it now seems boring to me.
    Think the fact that pro footballers are on such obscene wages has put me off.

Re hooligans I can't imagine the Loi has much of a problem. Probably similar to up here in the Irish league a few games have potential for trouble but mostly just a few spides acting hard.

The 2 religions can sometimes be a factor but the most likely game for aggro here would be linfield v glentoran. Both protestant support but they hate each other and have been numerous pitched (literally) battles. You tube it for examples.

Footie hooligans from all sides always say they only fight other firms but this is total rubbish. Inevitably they hunt in large packs picking on opposing supporters wearing colours. They will then write a book about it in 10 years claiming they ran off x or y team firm. It's all rather pathetic really.
    That's total bs, if you know anything about football hooligans its they only fight each other, usually the groups are called casuals because back in the day they wore casual clothes to disguise from the police, kind of blend into normal crowds as opposed to wearing jerseys and scarfs. But they never just pick a fight with normal fans who just want to watch the match.

Some of the gear they wear is stone island Armani etc, costs 100s just for a top or jeans, bohs and rovers have these groups, a simple google will show pics etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement