Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tourists matter more than residents?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Because I can't use my own experiences. I find the Irish to be in the main a very quiet, passive and unfriendly people who rely on alcohol as a social crutch. While sober, people are unlikely to express any real emotion other than anger. People pass judgement on out-going behavior, unless you are drunk or they are drunk. You have to go out to the country to find people who will hold an actual conversation with you and exchange in small talk and pleasentries.

Somehow my opinion is a generalization, likely because it's negative, while yours, being more positive, is not?

I think it was Freud who may have said something like the Irish are the only people on earth who cannot be psycho-analyzed. But who would listen to that guy, eh? that f**ker was generalizing

Your opinion, as you've presented it, is a generalization. You're just speaking to your experience; other people would feel differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

In think the question is why is the motivation to improve city live for the tourists? Why can't the motivation be for the people of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Your opinion, as you've presented it, is a generalization. You're just speaking to your experience; other people would feel differently.

Yeah but this site is about discussion...and giving your opinion and insight. What I posted is my opinion. I'm not trying to put in a decree that it be noted by all and accepted by all that this is FACT. It's an opinion.

Figure that was pretty clear. Plus the fact I said there are friendly people would mean it's not all that much of a sweeping generalization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

c_man wrote: »
    Seriously, people shooting up on public transport is not the norm in any big city I've been.

In my 8 years in Dublin (2002-2010), I never once saw that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

In my 8 years in Dublin (2002-2010), I never once saw that happen.

Fair enough. But what stuff reported in a recent thread

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Won't be popular but, I've been to a lot of major cities and am living in a place with a high homeless population. But I've never ecountered so many homeless people sleeping on the streets as I have in Dublin. Maybe it's because they are sleeping in places right around the 'touristy' parts of the city, though. It's sad, where I am at the moment, there's an empty lost with a bunch of tents setup with homeless people living there. It can get up to 50 degrees during the summer. There's shelters too but I guess they get filled up quick.

San Francisco, bud. Prague. LA. Those three spring to mind as having plenty of homeless people.

I'll never understand why people want homeless people out of view anyway. They're people too. Where's the humanity? Any of us could end up on the street.

I never said it never happened. I've just never seen it myself, and that is with getting a lot of public transport through, or originating from, disadvantaged areas over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

It would be extremely difficult to either smoke or IV inject heroin on a moving public bus.
    To use intravenously needs time to prepare ... mix up water and citric etc,find a vein etc.
    Smoking it involves quite a bit of a concentration , almost a balancing act and takes time as well.The smell is very distinct too.

Advertisement