Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New inventions we will all own....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not necessarily true. It's been reported in the news quite a lot that iPhones are losing out to Android phones now, as their sales have slumped quite a lot.

Yeah I know that's my point, this idea that iphones are still some sort of status symbol or everyone harps on about owning one, they're just phones now. And yeah android is getting more and more popular, see it all the time at work iphone users are moving to samsung s4 instead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Really this last decade must have the fastest uptake of new technology for everyday use in history.

Forms of radio have been around since the late 19th century yet it was only in the 30's that the average Irish household would have acquired one. From then there were no major uptakes in everyday used technology until the man on the street got TV, a family car and electricity, all from the mid 50's onwards, even though the technology had been available to the upper classes for some time before that. Landline telephones by the late 60's to nearly 1980, even at that I remember on my uncles street in the 90's a few people did not have a phone because there was a coinbox at the end of the street. Electricity, television, telephone, radio and cars were all available to the wealthy from the early 20's, yet it took the best part of 60 years for them all to become commonplace.

Contrast that to the internet, which was being used by a vast majority of us within about 10 years of it having become available to the public. Mobiles, about 18 years. Smartphones, three or four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

nocoverart wrote: »
    Did it make you queasy? can you use it in long stretches? I'm not great with that kind of thing.

Depends what I'm running on it. Most of the software to use with it at the moment is prototype stuff, so it's not optimized and can get a bit laggy on my PC.

You need to be able to get 60fps in both eyes with Vsync enabled for proper performance. Anything under that can begin making you queasy.

I found I can handle down as far as about 30fps - anything under that though and your eyes/brain/stomach really start not liking it!

First night I got the thing and spent a good 5 hours or so without any ill effects...until I decided to give HL2 a go in VR.

Here's what buggered me up - the loading screen is static. So you move your head around but it stays dead centre. Made me instantly feel ill and I had to take the thing off.

Only other things which have made me ill are one which are meant to - there's a rollercoaster demo which does make your stomach get that 'dip' feeling when leave the top of a high point.

Really amazing piece of tech though, people are going to love it once it goes mainstream. Seems easy enough to port games over too - was playing Quake VR there the other day. Absolutely insane being in the middle of the environment. Can be quite terrifying when one of those dogs runs at you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

Smartphones are quite beneficial to me. For example, If I'm out and about, I can use the GPS to find specific shops or help me out if I'm lost. If I see something that interests me, I can quickly google it on the spot and find out what people thought of it.

Technology is moving fast, but people need to keep up. That does not mean buying the latest and greatest every time, but if you hold back then you're missing out on a potential social necessity (same way it's almost essential for people to have a computer and the internet now to cope in today's society) and just end up becoming backwards and redundant.

An example is this: a lot of office jobs require basic IT skills, ie. word processing and such. If you hold back because you don't like the technology, you're not getting that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

krudler wrote: »
    I can finally download a car!
    You could. But if the technology matches the development of the standard inkjet then the cost of resin/manufacturing material for printing would cripple you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Oculus Rift is going to redefine scary games, and result in a lot of broken objects and computers from panicking.

I remember a good few years ago playing Doom 3 with the lights down low, and surround sound, at this point it was the first game I owned that truly utilised surround sound. I remember being scared ****less hearing noises behind me and moving around etc.

Oculus rift will be the next level, someone will die of a heart attack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    3D printers I guess may be the next big thing. I know you can get them today but I'm more interested to see how the technology develops in the next 10-20 years. Price should drop too.

Of course it could just end up as an expensive automated Airfix model maker.

Don't see how they could compete with mass production.

Master of the Universe

Oculus Rift is going to redefine scary games, and result in a lot of broken objects and computers from panicking.

I remember a good few years ago playing Doom 3 with the lights down low, and surround sound, at this point it was the first game I owned that truly utilised surround sound. I remember being scared ****less hearing noises behind me and moving around etc.

Oculus rift will be the next level, someone will die of a heart attack :D

There's a Rift demo called 'Alone in the Rift'. Think walking through a dark forest with a torch like in Slederman but you're actually there in person.

The interesting thing is, you're controlling the torch with your mouse but what you're seeing is controlled by your head movements. So you're constantly looking around you into the dartkness and then slowly moving the torch towards it afraid of what might appear with the light.

I have no qualms in saying there was a point where I scrambled to hit the ESC key on my computer, was unable to find it and promptly tore the Rift off my head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's a Rift demo called 'Alone in the Rift'. Think walking through a dark forest with a torch like in Slederman but you're actually there in person.

The interesting thing is, you're controlling the torch with your mouse but what you're seeing is controlled by your head movements. So you're constantly looking around you into the dartkness and then slowly moving the torch towards it afraid of what might appear with the light.

I have no qualms in saying there was a point where I scrambled to hit the ESC key on my computer, was unable to find it and promptly tore the Rift off my head :D

Awesome :D imagine something like Condemned or Amnesia in that environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

I think we'll all own our own DNA identification modules for the simple reason that we'll be infiltrated by aliens and we need to know it's our friends we're actually talking to.

You can't put a price on safety, folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

o1s1n wrote: »

Came across those horror games on the Rift lately with this video

That sort of immersion in a big budget survivial horror game? Hole -eee -- fúck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Watching Top Gear a while ago and the new Merc has built in night vision, looked pretty cool, should be standard on all cars c. 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't see how they could compete with mass production.

They won't, the idea is that they will be used for once-off projects with low runs or to replace components in devices.

You can walk in and get a case printed for your raspberry pi, for example, for 40 gbp from a printing company, or if you had the printer yourself it would cost maybe 1 euro in materials.

Similarly, you could print off replacement parts for things etc - no more playing monopoly with the hat missing ;)

Master of the Universe

Agricola wrote: »
    That sort of immersion in a big budget survivial horror game? Hole -eee -- fúck!

That's the one that got me! Was very lucky my laptop didn't end up smashed on the floor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tiny wireless earphones implanted directly into the ear canal. It will make it nigh on impossible to tell if someone is on the phone or just a nutter talking to themselves.

The only thing that will screw occulus rift, is if they don't set out rigid guidelines for specs for computers, i would just be waiting for all the idiots giving it bad reviews cause it stutters on their laptops.

They should be working in liason with graphics cards manufacturers too to cards are launched "Rift Optimised" etc. It would help a lot of people with little knowledge of components.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, pretty much the only device coming in the near future that I seriously want is the Oculus Rift.

I normally wait a while for the dust to settle on something new like this but so far it's really sold itself with the good feedback, big names attached to it's development and the huge amount of possibilities it has.

Was very tempted to getting the dev kit but I'm going to hold off until final release.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Yea, pretty much the only device coming in the near future that I seriously want is the Oculus Rift.

I normally wait a while for the dust to settle on something new like this but so far it's really sold itself with the good feedback, big names attached to it's development and the huge amount of possibilities it has.

Was very tempted to getting the dev kit but I'm going to hold off until final release.
    The internet will be in meltdown the day pre-orders are allowed for the final kit.

Advertisement