Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New inventions we will all own....

Options
  • 09-08-2013 12:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

A slightly vague title but it was something that hit me reading the Reeling in the Years and the "when do you wish you had been a teenager" threads.

If you asked me five years ago were there any major inventions left that we would all be using, I would have said there were none of enough importance to imagine everyone having one. iPhones have been around since what, 2007 odd, but until 2011 were purely n Apple fanboy toy. It was only in 2011 that the average Joe suddenly thought it was worth spending an entire weeks wages on one.

The last decade has been the most rapid in terms of everyday technology take up. Yet I still can't think of anything left that I can imagine will become an essential part of our lives. Projects in their infancy like Google glasses and Apple smart wristwatches to me just seem like complete rubbish that will never catch on. In the sixties people were predicting the year 2000 with wildly impractical every devices like jetpacks and moon colonies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Projects in their infancy like Google glasses and Apple smart wristwatches to me just seem like complete rubbish that will never catch on.

A bit like the iPhone around 2007/8, no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

iPhones are still an Apple fanboy toy.

People don't consider the price/performance when buying them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

A bit like the iPhone around 2007/8, no?

I am a Samsung Galaxy man myself :) That thing has been dropped on the ground and opened itself I reckon once per month for a year now and there is not a mark on it! You could talk an Apple screen into cracking, for the cost of them they are useless really.

Point I guess is, 20 years ago anyone who owned a mobile phone who was not a doctor, businessman or other high ranking professional was generally regarded as a gob****e trying to project themselves s some sort of big man. There is a clip on Reeling in the Years where Dennis O Brien claims in 1996 that within five years every man and woman, and even children will have mobiles, something that back then seemed like a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

iPhones are still an Apple fanboy toy.

People don't consider the price/performance when buying them.

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Google Glasses could be cool in that you could record scobies being scobies in the public without taking out your phone. Then you can upload it to facebook for likes and admiration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

I think cash will be very rare. most people will use mobile devices like phones to pay for goods i.e the phone will link to your bank account via a pin.

The banks are already trying to cut down on cash and this technology is already being developed.

about half way down the page

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A make-up shotgun!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My point was that today's rubbish invention nobody wants is tomorrow's must have item. The mobile phone is a prime example, in its infancy they were big, expensive and looked shíte. Mobile networks weren't widely available and everybody back in the 90s got on just fine without them. Then came the refinements; smaller phones, the injection of non-phone stuff like games, marketing that drove demand (hello Eircell) and suddenly there was an explosion in mobile phone uptake. Then came the smartphones, same story really. So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss current inventions like Google Glass :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

krudler wrote: »
    Yawn

They don't? It's a branding or aesthetics issue.

You can't argue that iPhones are the best hardware around, they're not. You also can't argue that they're cheaper than the alternatives. they're not.

murphk wrote: »
    I think cash will be very rare. most people will use mobile devices like phones to pay for goods i.e the phone will link to your bank account via a pin.

The banks are already trying to cut down on cash and this technology is already being developed.

about half way down the page

I dread the day, I hate buying on card. I hate being forced to buy anything online being honest. Having said that could there really be a day when people who despise mobile phones (there are still a handful out there) and who do not hold a bank account would be forced to acquire them?

I can't see print newspapers lasting more than a decade. I used to buy them to keep me occupied on the bus, since I have all the news on the phone I haven't bought a paper at all.

• Advertisement

They don't? It's a branding or aesthetics issue.

You can't argue that iPhones are the best hardware around, they're not. You also can't argue that they're cheaper than the alternatives. they're not.

Yeah but saying their purely for apple fanboys is ridiculous, iphones are no longer a status symbol they're more common than nokias now. I have both an android and iphone, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I dread the day, I hate buying on card. I hate being forced to buy anything online being honest. Having said that could there really be a day when people who despise mobile phones (there are still a handful out there) and who do not hold a bank account would be forced to acquire them?

I can't see print newspapers lasting more than a decade. I used to buy them to keep me occupied on the bus, since I have all the news on the phone I haven't bought a paper at all.

Bertie Ahern? what kind of grown adult doesn't have a bank account? why should things be held back because of some yokels who still live in the past? technology makes life easier I dunno why people are so slow to adapt in this country.

My point was that today's rubbish invention nobody wants is tomorrow's must have item. The mobile phone is a prime example, in its infancy they were big, expensive and looked shíte. Mobile networks weren't widely available and everybody back in the 90s got on just fine without them. Then came the refinements; smaller phones, the injection of non-phone stuff like games, marketing that drove demand (hello Eircell) and suddenly there was an explosion in mobile phone uptake. Then came the smartphones, same story really. So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss current inventions like Google Glass :)

But there are a long list of predicted must have items that just never took off. Hovercrafts were once touted as replacing passenger ferrys, I haven't heard of them in years now. Same for the Segways, holidays on the moon and flying cars and all that they predicted 60 years ago, often the impracticability of an idea kills it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Bertie Ahern? what kind of grown adult doesn't have a bank account? why should things be held back because of some yokels who still live in the past? technology makes life easier I dunno why people are so slow to adapt in this country.

I dunno, Google Glass makes me sad for some reason.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I dunno, Google Glass makes me sad for some reason.

Not just even google glass but things like laser (outdated too) cards or doing things online like paying bills. Sending half your day or lunchbreak standing in a bank or post office paying things with paper? no thanks, pull out phone or tablet and do it in seconds.

I am fairly sure bankrupt people in the UK are not allowed to hold a regular bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

I would say the google glasses is the start of something, in the future it will in the form of a contact lense (like charlie brookers Black mirror https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImbpjWRMy2k).

also an implant in your hand linked to your bank so you can just swipe it to pay for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Oculus Rift. Its being developed primarily for gaming, but it will snowball into something massive. The technology works well, even at prototype stage. Its the beginnings of Star Trek's holodeck.

Not just even google glass but things like laser (outdated too) cards or doing things online like paying bills. Sending half your day or lunchbreak standing in a bank or post office paying things with paper? no thanks, pull out phone or tablet and do it in seconds.

Personally if you could book the likes of Ryanair flights in person, given a choice between going into an office and letting a girl behind the counter find the cheapest flight for me and throwing her a few notes, versus going onto their site, finding the cheapest options myself, entering my name, address, card number, expiration date, then having to try and work out one of those Captcha security codes, logging into my email, then having to make my way to an internet cafe to re open and print the emailed ticket, well, you get my meaning! I only use internet shopping if really necessary, I find it much more of a pain in the arse than face to face buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Technology consumes peoples every waking hour by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Agricola wrote: »
    Oculus Rift. Its being developed primarily for gaming, but it will snowball into something massive. The technology works well, even at prototype stage. Its the beginnings of Star Trek's holodeck.
    Have to agree, I do think Oculus Rift is going to be massive. Im not bothering to upgrade my pc at the moment because im waiting for Oculus Rift to properly launch and see what specs would be best to run games using it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Have to agree, I do think Oculus Rift is going to be massive. Im not bothering to upgrade my pc at the moment because im waiting for Oculus Rift to properly launch and see what specs would be best to run games using it etc.

Yeah I think they said a 1080p version is launching at some point, so rendering that twice will require a bit of grunt alright. Im very tempted to sign up for the dev kit even, but I can't be bothered with the hassle of it. I don't see how the finished version won't be a day 1 buy though.

if Half Life 3 ever comes out and is compatible then Valve will have all the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

OP, I'm more concerned about the fact that you watch that utter sh1te Reeling in the Years.

EDIT: oh no it was a thread you were reading

• Registered Users Posts: 34,605 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

After getting an Oculus Rift VR developer kit, I can safely say that is the future of entertainment. It's bloody amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

o1s1n wrote: »
    After getting an Oculus Rift VR developer kit, I can safely say that is the future of entertainment. It's bloody amazing.

Did it make you queasy? can you use it in long stretches? I'm not great with that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

3D printers I guess may be the next big thing. I know you can get them today but I'm more interested to see how the technology develops in the next 10-20 years. Price should drop too.

Of course it could just end up as an expensive automated Airfix model maker.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    3D printers I guess may be the next big thing. I know you can get them today but I'm more interested to see how the technology develops in the next 10-20 years. Price should drop too.

Of course it could just end up as an expensive automated Airfix model maker.

I can finally download a car!

Yeah but saying their purely for apple fanboys is ridiculous, iphones are no longer a status symbol they're more common than nokias now. I have both an android and iphone, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Not necessarily true. It's been reported in the news quite a lot that iPhones are losing out to Android phones now, as their sales have slumped quite a lot.

I cannot wait to try the Oculus Rift. Can you imagine how great it would be to play FPS or horror survival games on it? Absolutely terrifying. This is a great video that demonstrates how much fun it would be!

And when it's combined with something else, like the Omni, then.. woaahh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

This has been the biggest con ever and now a cash cow for the banks.

Wages paid dirrectly in so you need account then every company providing a service either wants DD or the charges are hidden in the price.

It was much cheaper not to have a bank account.

Price of technology but who really benefits

Advertisement