Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child mauled by tapir at Dublin Zoo!!! :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Thank ****. Common sense wins through. Now...that dolphin...

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

The childs mom should be given 10 minutes alone with the baby Tapir.

Just to even things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

CdeC wrote: »
    The childs mom should be given 10 minutes alone with the baby Tapir.

Just to even things out.

Why? It's not like the mommy tapir is going to take its child to the child's home and infringe on its personal space. If it did then the child's mom would be well within her rights if she thought the child was in danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Why? It's not like the mommy tapir is going to take its child to the child's home and infringe on its personal space. If it did then the child's mom would be well within her rights if she thought the child was in danger

J.O.K.E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

We were just talking about that possibility. We'd never heard of these "supervised animal encounters" for the general public (which doesn't mean they don't exist!) and we wondered if the family were somehow connected to the zoo itself.

Yep, sad but true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1188880/Zoo-keeper-mauled-death-rare-white-tiger-horrified-tourists.html

120 white tigers in the world and 7 billion of us **** on earth? I don't care if the tiger was the most blood thirsty thing on earth, if there's only 120 of them and he's locked in his enclosure what harm is he? Just some idiot that killed himself by going near a known dangerous animal.

The sad thing is I see this happening to so many endangered species over the next few decades. Humans are nothing at all so special that were above other animals and we have to kill one that kills us. Makes me angry sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I blame pet farms. Once you get a taste for it you want to move on to the hard stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Why is everyone excusing this tapir?
    If I entered someone's house with a 2 year old in my arms and there was mother of a newborn in the house, then she attacks my baby and me for no reason, biting my babies belly and all. It would result in her heading to prison.
    What I'm saying is, this tapir should be locked up for a good long time, that'll teach her.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Yellow121 wrote: »
    If I entered someone's house with a 2 year old in my arms and there was mother of a newborn in the house, then she attacks my baby and me for no reason, biting my babies belly and all. It would result in her heading to prison.
    What I'm saying is, this tapir should be locked up for a good long time, that'll teach her.

:pac:

Would 'time served' count in her sentencing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

She lives in a zoo ffs

It's hardly the amazon for her :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

I too let my child have access to wild animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well at least all are recovering well.

But still though,

A mother and a newborn, isnt that biology 101? Even dogs and cats can be very protective of their young, not matter how friendly or well known you are.

Common sense, so rare it should be a super-power.

:pac:

Would 'time served' count in her sentencing?
    1ZRed wrote: »
    She lives in a zoo ffs

It's hardly the amazon for her :p

Take her freedom, she'll think twice about eating babies then.
    Like she will be fed and she can have visitors come to see her but she can never leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Are you seriously comparing a tapir to us in regard to protecting offspring?

Shes already locked up, shes a zoo animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why is that animal still prancing around. Should be taken out with a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

**Vai** wrote: »
    Are you seriously comparing a tapir to us in regard to protecting offspring?

Shes already locked up, shes a zoo animal.

I am assuming that Yellow121 is joking.........I am hoping that Yellow121 is joking! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Hmmm some serious lack of common sense on the handlers part here or who ever gave the go ahead for this. Coming from a farming background I wouldn't let a two year old near a ewe and lamb never mind a tapir. Sure nothing would happen with most and but there's allways one that will turn and try to give you a good belt.
    I'm not familiar with Tapirs a behavior would there be any warning signs? Would any Zoologists on here fill us in?
    E.g. a Ewe stamping the ground with it's front hoof to tell you to keep your distance. Followed by a snort if you get closer then followed by a good attempt to dunt you...and they don't bite.

I am assuming that Yellow121 is joking.........I am hoping that Yellow121 is joking! :rolleyes:

At least someone gets me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Culpepper

At least someone gets me. :(

As long as Ma Tapir doesn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 footstool

Does any1 remember the tiger attack on that girl bout 6yrs back or more in Dublin Zoo?
    That poor animal was destroyed because a drunken ass 16yr girl taught it would be a good idea to climb over the protection fence and up to the back of the enclosure and stick her arm in to rub 1...and what happened, she got mauled!

People are idiots! I've said it before and say it again! Just because it is rared in a zoo from being a cub, piglet or what not, doesnt mean its going to let you cuddle it, or better still leave you in it's territory...

Rio is a very placid, gentle animal..met her a couple of times..but when a baby of hers is approached by strangers, what do you think she is really going to do? Its in her instinct to protect her baby, from anything that she feels might be a treat. Sure she is gentle to her zookeepers, course she is, she knows they wont harm her, or her baby, but strangers approaching...what do you think is going to happen?

If she is shyed away from the public, that just proves, Ireland is a joke in animal welfare..make that a further joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

footstool wrote: »
    Does any1 remember the tiger attack on that girl bout 6yrs back or more in Dublin Zoo?
    That poor animal was destroyed because a drunken ass 16yr girl taught it would be a good idea to climb over the protection fence and up to the back of the enclosure and stick her arm in to rub 1...and what happened, she got mauled!

People are idiots! I've said it before and say it again! Just because it is rared in a zoo from being a cub, piglet or what not, doesnt mean its going to let you cuddle it, or better still leave you in it's territory...

Rio is a very placid, gentle animal..met her a couple of times..but when a baby of hers is approached by strangers, what do you think she is really going to do? Its in her instinct to protect her baby, from anything that she feels might be a treat. Sure she is gentle to her zookeepers, course she is, she knows they wont harm her, or her baby, but strangers approaching...what do you think is going to happen?

If she is shyed away from the public, that just proves, Ireland is a joke in animal welfare..make that a further joke..

It is indeed. We ave a long way to go!

• Advertisement

That animal was destroyed!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 footstool

That animal was destroyed!!!!!

Sadly yes...he had a taste for human blood, and it is believed that is a carnivore tastes blood they are thirsty for that sort of blood forever...to be honest I think that is a stupid theory as it has yet to be proven, till then animals will be destroyed till proven other wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Child should sue parents.

This post was brought to you by my not reading most of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

And for some light relief on a similar theme. :D

Sadly yes...he had a taste for human blood, and it is believed that is a carnivore tastes blood they are thirsty for that sort of blood forever...to be honest I think that is a stupid theory as it has yet to be proven, till then animals will be destroyed till proven other wise..

Should have destroyed that drunken sprog instead. Poor animal just did what an animal does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they seem to have an attitude problem

Hahahaha!!!

"Ah Jesus"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

No doubt FG will add this species to some restricted list and they will have to wear a muzzle in pubic etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    No doubt FG will add this species to some restricted list and they will have to wear a muzzle in pubic etc etc.

And you will need a F$$king licence to have one.

Mind you some people should need a licence to have children, judging by this story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

"Dublin Zoo can assure the public that no harm or punishment will come to the tapir as a result of this incident."

At least they're showing some common sense now. Pity they didn't have any a few days ago.

Advertisement