Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child mauled by tapir at Dublin Zoo!!! :(

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I can see this bringing an end to supervised visits with animals for kids - a blanket rule being put in place to stop this happening again. A shame for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Dublin Zoo deserve a slap on the wrist for this...I would have thought they'd have a bit more respect for their animals being new mama's...and would have thought they had a bit more cop on and knowledge not to have visits into a new mums enclosure...

And the mother of the two year old....don't get me started on her

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

And the mother of the two year old....don't get me started on her

Bit harsh, no?

They are normally docile creatures, they're also vegetarians.. I'm sure the Mother trusted the expertise of the Zoo Keepers.. who, in this age of red tape and extensive safety measures were hardly likely to put the child in harms way..

I can only imagine the horror of both the parents and the child when it attacked.. I hope they recover quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Grayson wrote: »
    Actually, as someone who's had cats that have had litters, the mothers were always docile and friendly. They'd let us pick up the kittens no problem.

Ignoring the fact that cats are very different to tapirs this isn't a great example, the cats would have known and likely trusted you. Would the cats let complete strangers pick the kittens up no problem?

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »
    Bit harsh, no?

They are normally docile creatures, they're also vegetarians.. I'm sure the Mother trusted the expertise of the Zoo Keepers.. who, in this age of red tape and extensive safety measures were hardly likely to put the child in harms way..

I can only imagine the horror of both the parents and the child when it attacked.. I hope they recover quickly.

No, I don't think it is a bit harsh.

Horses are vegetarians,
    some of my horses I have had for years, some come and go...some are likely to kick the sh*te out of you on a good day, some are very chilled...

But...when any mare is even close to giving birth, and for quite some time after birth, I would not let my children near her or the foal...that's because I have respect for them and their new baby,
    not because they are dangerous every other day of the week, most are far from it, but because no one can foresee how an animal is going to react after their young is born...I would expect to get my ass handed to me if I acted irresponsibly in their enclosure.

Just because this woman paid for a ticket to see the animals doesn't give her the right to abuse their space...she got hurt instinctively going to protect her 2 year old...did she not think this animal might do the same for its calf?

,....and of course I hope they recover quickly too, goes without saying, even if I am a bit harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hope the tapir doesn't have to be put down, it's just another stupid human's fault, not the animal's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Gyalist wrote: »
    It was a joke after Sigfried and Roy were attacked on stage by their white lion during a show in Vegas.

Now that's what I call a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Jesus, even a cat would tear you asunder if you were at her kittens a week later.

No, she wouldn't! Unless she was a feral of course. Mammy cats tend to be quite calm when you handle their kittens. Watchful, but calm.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No, I don't think it is a bit harsh.

Horses are vegetarians,
    some of my horses I have had for years, some come and go...some are likely to kick the sh*te out of you on a good day, some are very chilled...

But...when any mare is even close to giving birth, and for quite some time after birth, I would not let my children near her or the foal...that's because I have respect for them and their new baby,
    not because they are dangerous every other day of the week, most are far from it, but because no one can foresee how an animal is going to react after their young is born...I would expect to get my ass handed to me if I acted irresponsibly in their enclosure.

Just because this woman paid for a ticket to see the animals doesn't give her the right to abuse their space...she got hurt instinctively going to protect her 2 year old...did she not think this animal might do the same for its calf?

,....and of course I hope they recover quickly too, goes without saying, even if I am a bit harsh

I think the point is if the zoo keeper said it was ok, she would have trusted them as they're the expert and would be close at hand, and presumably had done this before.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oh I agree with you, the animal should have been left in peace with her calf.. but I still don't blame the Mother of the child.. it's the Zoo's responsibility to make sure the animals are not available for petting when they are of a volatile disposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Would the cats let complete strangers pick the kittens up no problem?

If they're tame, yeah, usually no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

This little girls life has been changed forever and i hope she will be compensated accordingly
    Ah yes, a few grand will fix up everything.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Frequent visitor to Dublin Zoo but if the Tapir is killed I will be boycotting for the foreseeable future.

Dont know what the staff were thinking by bringing two female visitors into see a female animal who had just given birth recently.

Anyone with the slightest knowledge of animals would know that the animal was bound to get aggressive for fear of its young, never mind trained experienced zoo keepers.

Yes, she is not as much of a dope as the zookeeper or the zoo people who put this 'activity' in place....she trusted the experienced zookeeper, but I am still of the opinion that she, as an adult and a parent, should have realised it might not be a good place to bring a 2 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Extreme fùck up by whoever allowed them to get that close to the Tapir, especially since it was a new mother.

Domesticated animals are one thing, but predominately wild animals cannot be treated like they're docile animals who'd love a good rub. When they're spooked they're capable of anything to protect themselves.

It could have been worse, though still very serious, but the tapir could have easily started biting at her face leaving worse disfigurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Culpepper

Probably the most dangerous animal on a farm is a heifer on her first calf, and a jungle animal would surely be a lot more unpredictable?

Having said that, I watched the RTE program about Dublin Zoo and those tapirs seemed to be quite docile, certainly when interacting with their keepers.

The toddler or the tapir cannot carry any blame here, the child's mother was probably told that there was no danger, so it's hard to see how the Zoo wouldn't be ultimately held responsibly.

However, we don't know the sequence of events leading up to the attack.

Hopefully the mother and child will make a full recovery in due course!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Anyone speculated that the zoo keeper could be the mother of the child!!!

Dunnnn dunnnn dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Could be that the tapir was very used to, and comfortable with, adults but was nervous of a child that was as her eye-level and probably moving erratically. Being a new mother she must have assumed it was some sort of threat.

Poor, poor judgement leaving a 2 year old in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

tapirattackinjurylawyers4u.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

1ZRed wrote: »
    I hope the tapir doesn't have to be put down, it's just another stupid human's fault, not the animal's.

Why would the Tapir need to be put down?

Its not a domesticated pet that people are walking around a park.

A tiger would do the same thing, no one is calling for them to be put down.

I'd imagine the solution here is, lets be more careful of Tapirs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I think the fear arises from the Irish solution of making some up some bs about an animal in order to kill it. Eg the sea eagles will take sheep so poison them or the classic pine martins are vermin we need to kill them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I read somewhere before a long while ago about a very rare and endangered tiger that was put down after it killed a human who had made the mistake of going near it's enclosure. Something like under a thousand of those tigers existed vs 7 billion humans, yet it was still put down even though it was the human's fault.

Wouldn't surprise me if people called to put it down, much like that dolphin who was attacking people down in Clare. People are just idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The fact that she has a young calf/pup (whatever you call it) gives me some hope that they won't put her down. I'll be disgusted if they do.

Has there been any word on her status actually?

From sky news. The bit in bold makes me wonder what if anything Dublin zoo where thinking. Even so I acually feel srry for the staff members involved. They must feel like crap now.
    A Brazilian tapir has attacked a young girl and her mother during a trip to a zoo.

The attack happened during a supervised visit within one of the enclosures at Dublin Zoo. The child's mother was injured when she went to save her child.

The zoo says the incident was "an unfortunate accident" and said an investigation was under way.

A tapir is a large usually docile mammal, which looks a bit like a cross between a long-nosed pig and a small horse.

The zoo said a first aid team went to the scene immediately. The girl was taken to Dublin's Temple Street Children's Hospital. Her mother went to the Mater Hospital.

The youngster suffered deep abdomen and arm injuries and is understood to have had surgery.

In June, staff at Dublin Zoo celebrated the birth of a baby tapir to mother Rio, which is believed to have attacked the child.

Rio's female baby is called Jenny and her father is called Marmaduke. Marmaduke is not thought to have been involved.

The tapir is normally vegetarian and many species are endangered in the wild in South East Asia and Latin America.

Related to rhinos and horses, the tapir's long, flexible snout helps collect leaves, shoots, fruit and small branches to eat.

They have strong jaws and sharp teeth which they use to defend themselves if under threat.
    vid-grab-of-dublin-zoo-s-tapir-family-1-522x293.jpg The tapir family at Dublin zoo: Jenny, Rio and Marmaduke
    Dublin Zoo said the attack happened on Thursday during one of its regular supervised animal visits.

A spokeswoman said: "The welfare of our visitors and animals is of paramount importance and all steps are taken by our experienced staff to ensure optimum safety.

"Management at the zoo has launched an investigation into this regrettable occurrence and is reviewing all of its procedures with respect to supervised animal visits.

"Dublin Zoo would like to underline this was very much an isolated incident."

The spokeswoman said the zoo understands the mother and toddler who were injured are recovering well.

Attacks on humans by tapirs are not unknown. Although shy, when scared they can defend themselves.

In 1998, a keeper at a zoo in Oklahoma City was mauled and had an arm severed after opening the door to a female tapir's enclosure to push food inside.

The tapir's two-month-old baby was also inside the cage at the time.

In 2006, a Costa Rican politician became lost in the one of the country's national parks and was found by a search party with a "nasty bite" from a wild tapir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The whole "launching an investigation" bit makes me laugh. Dont let kids near wild animals who recently had offspring, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

The fact that she has a young calf/pup (whatever you call it) gives me some hope that they won't put her down. I'll be disgusted if they do.

Has there been any word on her status actually?

Yeah I hope to God they don't do anything to the animal. She had her little calf in the enclosure with her and some doofus let complete strangers in. What were they thinking? Of course there will most likely be some eejits calling for her to be put down anyway...:rolleyes:

I also hope the little kid is OK though and it doesn't have any long-term adverse affects on her physically or mentally.

Anyone speculated that the zoo keeper could be the mother of the child!!!

Dunnnn dunnnn dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

We were just talking about that possibility. We'd never heard of these "supervised animal encounters" for the general public (which doesn't mean they don't exist!) and we wondered if the family were somehow connected to the zoo itself.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    I read somewhere before a long while ago about a very rare and endangered tiger that was put down after it killed a human who had made the mistake of going near it's enclosure.

Yep, sad but true.
    The animal, named Abu and thought to be one of only 120 white tigers in the world, was put down. The Zion Wildlife Gardens in the northern city of Whangarei were closed ... and the tiger destroyed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1188880/Zoo-keeper-mauled-death-rare-white-tiger-horrified-tourists.html

Yeah I hope to God they don't do anything to the animal. She had her little calf in the enclosure with her and some doofus let complete strangers in. What were they thinking? Of course there will most likely be some eejits calling for her to be put down anyway...:rolleyes:

I also hope the little kid is OK though and it doesn't have any long-term adverse affects on her physically or mentally.

The head of Dublin zoo is a zoologist and fairly well respected. He won't listen to eejits calling for her to be put down hopefully!

• Advertisement

Dublin Zoo's facebok update!

As you may have heard, there was an accident involving a mother and her child
    in the Brazilian tapir area yesterday during one of our supervised animal
    encounters.

We are all deeply upset by this and our immediate concern is for the health
    and wellbeing of the visitors involved in this accident.

Just to let you know, thankfully, both the mother and child are recovering.

We would also like to assure you that absolutely no harm or punishment will
    come to the tapir as a result of this incident.

The bit in bold made my day. I'm delighted the child is making a recovery aswell!

Advertisement