Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest transport from manchester to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Son is 2 now.... ive done the 2.30am sailing almost every second weekend since he was born.... usually get no sleep the friday or the sunday night and straight to work on the monday but feck it... if ya bring a child into the worl you need to make sacrafices to see them and ensure they have what they need... Ill sleep enough when im dead :p

Could his mother not bring him over a few times to see his father?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I work a 80/90 hr week on average.... bus wont bother me if i get to see my son!!

Well fair enough then. There are a few stops along the way. There's a decent one on the way back and you can get a bite to eat.

It's inexpensive but I'm never going to travel that way again, if I can help it.

One tip, try to find someone else who is getting off at the same stop as you to make sure that both of you actually get off at the stop. We fell asleep on the way over there once and missed the airport stop and ended up in Manchester city centre at half 5 in the morning. Bloody nightmare. We were lucky though. The next stop was Leeds and we wouldn't have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Well fair enough then. There are a few stops along the way. There's a decent one on the way back and you can get a bite to eat.

It's inexpensive but I'm never going to travel that way again, if I can help it.

One tip, try to find someone else who is getting off at the same stop as you to make sure that both of you actually get off at the stop. We fell asleep on the way over there once and missed the airport stop and ended up in Manchester city centre at half 5 in the morning. Bloody nightmare. We were lucky though. The next stop was Leeds and we wouldn't have known.

I usually try n make friends with bus drivers and let them know my stop :p
    woke up in tullamore a few times when i should of been getting off before edenderry during my student days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Its (eurolines) cheaper online, esp with 2 weeks notice*. I'd guess you could book/pay by phone at the ticket office price, but you'd have to go and pick it up anyway.

*going ROI->UK

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

i cant for the life of me find a bloody contact number..

Its 08717 818177 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

i cant for the life of me find a bloody contact number..

Eurolines central reservations UK tel: 08717 818177
    rest of britain tel 08717 818181

(from a 2011 timetable though)

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Its 08717 818177 :)

Thanks, your a star!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

OP I also regularly do the Manchester to Dublin run and to be honest, flying is definately the cheapest option by a long way, the train/ferry combo or the bus combo works out mad expensive usually.

OP I also regularly do the Manchester to Dublin run and to be honest, flying is definately the cheapest option by a long way, the train/ferry combo or the bus combo works out mad expensive usually.

Costed me about 100 quid all in... Thats alright with me that.. so just £50 per week will go to travelling home... i think if i book earlier it will get cheaper.
    Saving to try and get on the property ladder so every penny counts yano :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Try earning a living in another country... and then having to factor in maintenance, court costs, travel and items for the child.... it soon adds up!!

I think it was a joke. i.e. "Buy yourself one single skate, and make it a cheap one."

If it wasn't a joke then the correct term is cheapskate (all one word). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Anything other than flying is madness unless you're transporting a load. I've done the ferry a good few times for work, up at 4 in the morning for the 9am ferry, 2 hours on the ferry, another 8 hours the other side. Your day is gone.

The plane is the fastest and cheapest way, the ferry is only useful if you want to fill your car up with stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ScumLord wrote: »
    Anything other than flying is madness unless you're transporting a load. I've done the ferry a good few times for work, up at 4 in the morning for the 9am ferry, 2 hours on the ferry, another 8 hours the other side. Your day is gone.

The plane is the fastest and cheapest way, the ferry is only useful if you want to fill your car up with stuff.

Or you're a ponce who likes a peaceful read while whizzing through the countryside (me :o).

by the time i get a taxi to and from manchester airport and then sort my dad out for juice money and toll to get down from dublin to kildare it ens up more expensive for me.

by the time i get a taxi to and from manchester airport and then sort my dad out for juice money and toll to get down from dublin to kildare it ens up more expensive for me.
    Use buses. I can get the bus from Dublin to Galway for a tenner, you shouldn't be paying more to get from Dublin airport to Kildare, although this being ireland you may well pay more.

I'd pay the premium to shorten my traveling time.

Use buses. I can get the bus from Dublin to Galway for a tenner, you shouldn't be paying more to get from Dublin airport to Kildare, although this being ireland you may well pay more.

I'd pay the premium to shorten my traveling time.

Bus costs me circa €19 return to my place from busaras

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You seem to be just rejecting every suggestion people put forward.
    Realistically there's a limit on the amount of ways to get from the middle of England to Kildare quickly and cheaply.

Maybe try to get your visitation rights changed such that's its every 4 weeks but for extra days. Obviously depends on how amicable things are between you and the mother.

You seem to be just rejecting every suggestion people put forward.
    Realistically there's a limit on the amount of ways to get from the middle England to Kildare quickly and cheaply.

Maybe try to get your visitation rights changed such that's its every 4 weeks but for extra days. Obviously depends on how amicable things are between you and the mother.

Sorry if i come across that way... ideally i would fly but i find it doesnt suit me tbh... im not afraid of flying but i find it makes me terribly tired for some reason.

Just as a fyi... i have organised the bus to dublin, a return from busaras to kildare and then the bus back to manchester... all for circa £110 :) and crucially im not putting people out by asking them to collect me etc. (dad never wants to take petrol money off me and we end up having a tussle at the airport but as hes not working and younger sister is in college i wouldnt have it any other way).

Bus costs me circa €19 return to my place from busaras
    Flights should be around the €50 or less mark, even with the likes of aer lingus if you book it right. Which puts you at €70 plus whatever the taxi costs. How does that compare to the ferry costs?

Cheapest ive had flights with say a month in advance is about £80 .. flights are dear to manchester rather than other towns because of united etc.... Taxi to Airport is £20 each way so thats up at £130 and then i usually steal dads car and put 30 worth of diesel in it when im home (i do that all the time anyway to help them along a bit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

How much are flights? I got one for about €80 return back in march. I imagine it gets cheaper too, and tops off at about 110 at peak times.

• Advertisement

Taxi to Airport is £20 each way so thats up at £130
    For an extra £20 I'd take the flight but that's just me.

How much are flights? I got one for about €80 return back in march. I imagine it gets cheaper too, and tops off at about 110 at peak times.

about 80 return with a months advance... on 23rd june 2011 i paid £357 one way for a flight home... my son arrived a month premature :p

Look at the United home fixtures before booking a flight to Manchester. You may have to fly to Leeds or Liverpool but you'll save yourself a lot.

Shop around. I've gone to matches before and flown to Liverpool, Leeds and Birmingham. Birmingham is the furthest away but the train service is very good.

For an extra £20 I'd take the flight but that's just me.

i can see your reasoning mate..

my son arrived a month premature :p
    What airline was that with? :pac:

What airline was that with? :pac:

Good old Ryanair.. i told the girl at the desk the situation and i needed to be home asap and her reply was "you shouldnt be working in a different country if your girlfriend is pregnant" near knocked me out of my standing coming from a irish country girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

mega bus man mega bus!!! i went to paris for 7.50 with them once

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Ok guys,

Get to see my son every second weekend.... have been driving to holyhead and getting on the boat but the costs are actually killing me... is there an easier/cheaper method other than flying... i got the train once but it was an absolute killer.

Nobody told me theres a train from Manchester to Dublin.Tis the stuff of science fiction so it is.

shane9689 wrote: »
    mega bus man mega bus!!! i went to paris for 7.50 with them once

From where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

From where?

from rosslare, granted you need to get to rosslare first, but given the amount youre saving, its worth it

when searching for a ticket just make sure you go through all the days you can leave on, youll eventually find one that says £1

Advertisement