Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest transport from manchester to Dublin

Options
  • 08-08-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

Ok guys,

Get to see my son every second weekend.... have been driving to holyhead and getting on the boat but the costs are actually killing me... is there an easier/cheaper method other than flying... i got the train once but it was an absolute killer.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Inflatable dinghy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

real answer:

I don't know to be honest. probably better off trying another forum(travel maybe).

AH answer:

Swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought the sail/rail ticket was cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cheapest is probably hiding in the boot of someone making the trip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What's the problem with flying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Try find a business that has trucks/lorries/vans going back & forth to the UK regularly. You may be able to throw them a few quid for a lift. Just hide in the back.

Seems to work quite well based on the number of illegal immigrants in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Ok guys,

i got the train once but it was an absolute killer.

Flying and forth to the UK for years and I could have been getting the train.

Raging that no-one told me about this fecking magic submersible train. :mad:

Eurolines with Bus Eireann is 26.50 per segment..

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

is there an easier/cheaper method other than flying

Probably not, where you gain on convenience you will lose on price.
    Where you gain on price you will lose on convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

almighty1 wrote: »
    Inflatable dinghy

Speedo/goggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

robinph wrote: »
    What's the problem with flying?

With my job its never constant 9 to 5... i can never plan to get say the 10pm flight from manchester as i could be working in london that morning....

NoDrama wrote: »

ive tried booking it yesterday and today and it wont let me... does anyone know if i can book via phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

get that child back to dear old ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

With my job its never constant 9 to 5... i can never plan to get say the 10pm flight from manchester as i could be working in london that morning....

Well every other form of transport is going to have the same problem then if you can't pre-book, unless you are self powered such as the already suggested swimming option.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The Eurolines coach service is probably the cheapest way along with a sail/rail ticket going through Holyhead and then ferry to Dublin.

Just did a search from Dublin to Manc and its €26.50 each way per adult. Dearer at w/ends though. Ferry and train return is around €80. Handy if you need to travel last minute as flights are usually expensive when booking late on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Buy a life jacket and float over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

http://s24.postimg.org/ssry4mm91/wtf.png :eek:

says it all really

ive tried booking it yesterday and today and it wont let me... does anyone know if i can book via phone??

Are you booking it through Eurolines UK?

The number is 08717 818177.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Cheap skate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sell yourself on Ebay every week and post yourself over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

The 10 or 11 hour trip is madness, cheap at €26.50, but too slow for a guy visiting his child at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

most definitely mega bus....you can sometimes get it for only 1 euro if you book at the right times
    http://uk.megabus.com/

only gets you to rosslare though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That Eurolines bus is a killer. No way you'll be able to keep that up on a regular basis and have the energy to do anything else.

If you're really stuck for money you could always try and skip the fare on the train. Train inspectors in England and Wales take money on the train a lot more frequently than in Ireland. As such, it's quite easy to skip a fare if you do it right. Sometimes they completely forget to come around. I once got from London to Holyhead for free. No inspector at all and I had to run for my train so no way of buying it before hand.

Cheap skate.

Try earning a living in another country... and then having to factor in maintenance, court costs, travel and items for the child.... it soon adds up!!

That Eurolines bus is a killer. No way you'll be able to keep that up on a regular basis and have the energy to do anything else.

If you're really stuck for money you could always try and skip the fare on the train. Train inspectors in England and Wales take money on the train a lot more frequently than in Ireland. As such, it's quite easy to skip a fare if you do it right. Sometimes they completely forget to come around. I once got from London to Holyhead for free. No inspector at all and I had to run for my train so no way of buying it before hand.

I work a 80/90 hr week on average.... bus wont bother me if i get to see my son!!

With regards to skipping the fare i dont think id try that to be honest mate... i try to pay my way wherever i go but would just rather pay a little less :p

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    The 10 or 11 hour trip is madness, cheap at €26.50, but too slow for a guy visiting his child at the weekend.

The service is usually overnight so its not too bad but I agree it does a long time compared to an hour flight. Its okay if you are stuck but I wouldn't fancy having to endure that trip regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

em, ring them maybe?

but seriously, I get combo deals on channel and irish sea ferries (i.e. landbridge) from Stena and irish Ferries and they are only bookable on the phone, but its a normal landline number (as opposed to premium €2/min Ryanair jobbie) and they are some of the friendliest call centre people you'll ever talk to!

EB_2013 wrote: »
    The service is usually overnight so its not too bad but I agree it does a long time compared to an hour flight. Its okay if you are stuck but I wouldn't fancy having to endure that trip regularly.

Son is 2 now.... ive done the 2.30am sailing almost every second weekend since he was born.... usually get no sleep the friday or the sunday night and straight to work on the monday but feck it... if ya bring a child into the worl you need to make sacrafices to see them and ensure they have what they need... Ill sleep enough when im dead :p

• Advertisement

em, ring them maybe?

!

i cant for the life of me find a bloody contact number..

Advertisement