Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA?

Options
  • 06-08-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, I am 21 years old and have been in reciept of job seekers allowance for nearly a year now. I have applied for a pre nursing course and I am wondering how i go about applying for BTEA? As I would be changing counties if I get accepted do I apply in Galway (where I live now) or Carlow ( where I will be doing the course).

And on the form for BTEA it asks for address would I give my home address as I don't have an address in Carlow yet? And would my BTEA payments start as soon as my job seekers allowance stops?

Thanks for any help as I am quite confused!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Hi all, I am 21 years old and have been in reciept of job seekers allowance for nearly a year now. I have applied for a pre nursing course and I am wondering how i go about applying for BTEA? As I would be changing counties if I get accepted do I apply in Galway (where I live now) or Carlow ( where I will be doing the course).

And on the form for BTEA it asks for address would I give my home address as I don't have an address in Carlow yet? And would my BTEA payments start as soon as my job seekers allowance stops?

give your home address and get an application from your local social office. hand that back into them when its filled in and you will need a letter from the college saying you are registered. you can hand in the application on its own first to get the ball rolling.
    do this asap, apps must be made more than 30 days from your course start date unless you have a good reason for being late.
    so if i were you i'd get the form and hand it back tomorrow. 5 mins will fill it in.
    there won't be a gap in payment

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cassidy1992

wesf wrote: »
    give your home address and get an application from your local social office. hand that back into them when its filled in and you will need a letter from the college saying you are registered. you can hand in the application on its own first to get the ball rolling.
    do this asap, apps must be made more than 30 days from your course start date unless you have a good reason for being late.
    so if i were you i'd get the form and hand it back tomorrow. 5 mins will fill it in.
    there won't be a gap in payment

Thank you i'll do that tomorrow, and as soon as I am accepted do I just hand it the confirmation letter on it's own or should they send me a letter about it?..thanks again

once you have accepted your place you must go and register on registration day. after that the college will issue a letter to say you are registered, ask about it on the day. photocopy it and hand it into your local social with your pps number on it.
    sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Can you still collect your jobseekers payment right up until you get the btea?
    wesf wrote: »
    once you have accepted your place you must go and register on registration day. after that the college will issue a letter to say you are registered, ask about it on the day. photocopy it and hand it into your local social with your pps number on it.
    sorted

bri007 wrote: »
    Can you still collect your jobseekers payment right up until you get the btea?

yep, you won't notice any crossover, unless you collect in the post office now and you opt for payment to your bank account for btea. the only real difference is you don't have to sign on each month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks :) Yeah I collect jobseekers in post office at the moment, I gave my bank details on the btea form. I handed it in the end of june, heard nothing since

no prob, yeh you won't hear anything until after you hand in that reg letter. after that the social will write out to you confirming you will receive btea (once you qualify) and it will give details of when the payment will be in the bank.
    best part is they should leave your payment going into the bank during summer periods so no more standing in line at the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Sorry for interupting ,I just have a quick question , is BTEA the same amount as Jobseekers Benifit ?
    Thanks in advance.

mattjack wrote: »
    Sorry for interupting ,I just have a quick question , is BTEA the same amount as Jobseekers Benifit ?
    Thanks in advance.

it depends, whatever you get now will be what you get for btea but some people with kids etc may get more.
    i know a girl with a son and she gets 220 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks in advance.

Not always it depends

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you're getting on JA, you'll get on BTEA.

You have to be claiming for 52 weeks, so you may not be eligible. Did you ask your local DSP Office if you were? or did you just fill in the forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

You don't get your BTEA paid into you bank account during the summer holidays, you revert back to job seekers allowance and have to go back to collecting from post office. thats how I have to collect it.

miss misty wrote: »
    You don't get your BTEA paid into you bank account during the summer holidays, you revert back to job seekers allowance and have to go back to collecting from post office. thats how I have to collect it.

It's at the discretion of the welfare office. My summer jobseekers payment has been paid into my bank last summer and this one. I haven't had to go to the post office since sep 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks in advance.

If you are under 25 and getting a reduced rate of Jobseekers you may be increased to a max of €160 per week. If you are over 25 you will stay on whatever rate of payment you are on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You have to be claiming for 52 weeks, so you may not be eligible. Did you ask your local DSP Office if you were? or did you just fill in the forms?

For a pre-nursing course at Fetac level 5/6 you need 78 claiming days, not counting Sundays to be eligible for BTEA. For a third level college/ uni course you need to be signing for a minimum of 234 days.
    Details on welfare.ie: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx
    Section 1.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bicky11

Hi I am 23 years old since march and have been on job seekers allowance for 5 months but was on disability for 11 months prior to receiving job seekers.. And I applied last Friday to go back to college to do a fetac level 5 course does anybody know if I will be entitled to receive btea?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

I have got a letter saying that I am provisionally accepted and it wants me to give them a letter from the college stating that I am registered.

But my only problem is that I do not want to register if I cannot get BTEA so if I register and they tell me I cannot get it then I have to pay a fee and go to college yet I cant afford it as I will be taken off the dole.

So does provisonally accepted mean that I will get it once I show I am registered or can they not accept me and leave me hanging.

I basically am not going to college unless I get BTEA so I need assurance when registering that I will get BTEA.

By them saying I have been provionally accepted does this mean I should go ahead as I am eligible but just need prove or registration?(just incase I am not going to college).

Go ahead.

Bicky11 wrote: »
    Hi I am 23 years old since march and have been on job seekers allowance for 5 months but was on disability for 11 months prior to receiving job seekers.. And I applied last Friday to go back to college to do a fetac level 5 course does anybody know if I will be entitled to receive btea?

Based on the disability/jobseekers you should be eligible

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

They can't fully accept you until you register

Terry Pratchet

Thanks. Can I apply for btea before my place is confirmed because unless I recieve btea I won't be able to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Thanks. Can I apply for btea before my place is confirmed because unless I recieve btea I won't be able to attend

Yes. Apply even if you don't have a place. After your place is confirmed you get a confirmation letter that you need to give a copy of to the DSP, so they know you're definitely going to college.

My PLC course requires a 450 euro fee. I am exempt from 250 of this because I have a medical card, but I am unsure if I have to pay the 200 euro registration fee or can it be covered under the BTEA scheme? I applied to SUSI but was told I am not eligible for a maintenance grant, there was no mention of course fees being covered....?

I wouldn't mind paying it, seeing as i'm already getting a discount, but at the moment it's a toss up between paying for accommodation or paying the registration before the deadline next week! Argh!

Thanks I had an interview today and got my place thank god.. I'm now filling out my btea application form.. Does anyone know how long it will take to process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

This year I registered online, what way does that work for the BTEA ? Can I give them a print out of my online registration or do I need a signed document from the college to verify it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Thanks I had an interview today and got my place thank god.. I'm now filling out my btea application form.. Does anyone know how long it will take to process?

It can vary depending on the office you are with, but most of them are processed in the next few weeks in preparation for the college year. The sooner you get the form in the better.
    This year I registered online, what way does that work for the BTEA ? Can I give them a print out of my online registration or do I need a signed document from the college to verify it ?

You will need to get a proof of attendance from your college before BTEA will start paying you. Talk to the registry office or the student support service.

SamAK wrote: »
    My PLC course requires a 450 euro fee. I am exempt from 250 of this because I have a medical card, but I am unsure if I have to pay the 200 euro registration fee or can it be covered under the BTEA scheme? I applied to SUSI but was told I am not eligible for a maintenance grant, there was no mention of course fees being covered....?

I wouldn't mind paying it, seeing as i'm already getting a discount, but at the moment it's a toss up between paying for accommodation or paying the registration before the deadline next week! Argh!

It's not covered by BTEA or SUSI

Terry Pratchet

I have my btea application form filled out but I'm not sure what to do about paying my registration fees because if I don't get btea I won't be able to attend college because I am heavily reliant on my social welfare. As I said above I turned 23 this year and iv been on job seekers benefit for 5 months but iv been on disability for 11 months before that but I think you have to be on job seekers for at least 6 months. I may be eligible but I'm not sure weather to take the chance because my fees have to be paid next week

• Advertisement

I have my btea application form filled out but I'm not sure what to do about paying my registration fees because if I don't get btea I won't be able to attend college because I am heavily reliant on my social welfare. As I said above I turned 23 this year and iv been on job seekers benefit for 5 months but iv been on disability for 11 months before that but I think you have to be on job seekers for at least 6 months. I may be eligible but I'm not sure weather to take the chance because my fees have to be paid next week

Disability allowance is counted, between your five months on JSB and your time on disability, you should definitely be eligible. There are a number of payments that count towards the 234 day total, including -

Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit
    Farm Assist
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Deserted Wife's Benefit or Allowance
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension
    Prisoners Wife's Allowance
    Carer's Allowance
    Blind Pension
    Disability Allowance
    Invalidity Pension
    Incapacity Supplement

Time spent in prison counts towards the 234 day rule! So yes, i'd say you're quite eligible. You'll only get a max rate of 160 euro a week though, and no 300 euro bonus at the start of the year. I got that last year but they did away with it in the last budget :( Such a shame, because i'm feeling the squeeze, trying to pay for a flat AND my registration fee....oh well i'll manage :)

P.S - Bicky, do you have a medical card?

Advertisement