Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever made a formal complaint?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

I complained about a guy who made his own 'mains distro': a 32 Amp 3-phase plug with three 13-Amp plugboards coming out of it! No breakers, and the possibility of a user being caught between 2 phases made this a cardinal offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Bring back Mailbag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I did send some malteasers back to mars because they had white gunk on them. They wrote back to me telling me it's what happens when chocolate is stored at too hot a temperature and gave me some vouchers for chocolate.

Apart from that no, I used to be on the receiving end of a lot of letters of complaint, I worked as a PA to the CEO of a company that served the public. At least 60% of the letters were written by people who were not all there, some of them used to make me really sad, because of that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Vojera wrote: »
    I've never complained to an official body. I think I've only ever complained three times.

One was to an emergency veterinary service that refused first aid to my pet who then died. I got a phone call and an apology and assurances that their staff would be better informed about the emergencies they are obliged to accept. I only complained so that maybe it would help someone else's pet in future, so I was happy with that.

I also complained to a pet shop because the conditions they were keeping their animals in weren't satisfactory. The next time I called in to check they had been improved. I never got a reply, so I can't say my letter made the difference, but I'd like to think it helped.

The third time I remember was to a restaurant that I got really terrible service in. Seriously, the worst. And when I said it at the end of the night the attitude was real "So what?" (which I was surprised at because I'd been there a few times before and it was lovely). I wrote a complaint to the manager and never got a response, so me and my family and friends have boycotted it ever since.

Probably as well you didn't go back to the restaurant, if they were pissed off about the letter then no gaurantee they wouldn't spit in the food before bringing it to you next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Bring back Mailbag!

Christ theres a blast from the past!!

Some of the letters used to be gas all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not really a formal complaint but I rang Sky on Sunday cos it had "no signal" 5 minutes into the football, went online to find a solution, followed the instructions, didn't fix it, rang them and the girl told me to do everything i had done so i told her i had done it already. Unplug the sky box and wait 2 minutes etc. She said an engineer would have to "call out" and there was a €60 charge!! LOL. When she told me that my exact words were: "ok, cancel the subscription please" got me straight through to her "colleague" and he done me the fantastic favour of waiving the charge, what a nice guy. Since then i fixed it, just switch cable 1 and 2 at the back of the box FYI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Bring back Mailbag!

One of my two 'formal' complaints was to Mailbag. I called and complained about RTE advertising the latest piece of crap Danielle Steele TV movie for weeks on end, and then showing the miniseries Brideshead Revisited in the middle of the afternnon with no advertising whatsoever. I never saw the show, but my uncle did, and heard my voice.

The other was a complaint to Yebisu (Japanese brewery) for their ****ing horrible beer called "Creamy Top". I started writing it in Japanese, then got tired of that, wrote a nice polite English version, ran it through Google translate, and pasted it into the box on their website. Never heard anything back from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Most recent was in my local Tesco. A guerrier was in the alcohol section putting bottles of Stella in his sportsbag. If you're going to steal why not something better then Stella? :confused: Anyway...

I got cursed out of it by the guerrier as it's a narrow aisle and it seems I was in the way. Tesco Ballyfermot if you know it.
    He was so blatant about it, didn't care who saw him.

Went to the security desk and told the guy and got blanked. Completly ignored, he didn't say anything, never even looked at me. 20 minutes to closing I guess and he didn't want the hassle.

Emailed Tesco HQ and said nobody cares. Phonecall the next day and got an apology.

But now I feel like an ass as they said the security guy was an agency worker and Tesco would tell the agency they don't want him for any more shifts. And I've never seen him there again.

I put someone on the dole :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Most recent was in my local Tesco. A guerrier was in the alcohol section putting bottles of Stella in his sportsbag. If you're going to steal why not something better then Stella? :confused: Anyway...

I got cursed out of it by the guerrier as it's a narrow aisle and it seems I was in the way. Tesco Ballyfermot if you know it.

Went to the security desk and told the guy and got blanked. Completly ignored, he didn't say anything, never even looked at me. 20 minutes to closing I guess and he didn't want the hassle.

Emailed Tesco HQ and said nobody cares. Phonecall the next day and got an apology.

But now I feel like an ass as they said the security guy was an agency worker and Tesco would tell the agency they don't want him for any more shifts. And I've never seen him there again.

I'd say the agency just sent him to another company, having worked in that area before. It 's only Tesco who won't have him back, he's probably not in the dole and you'll see him in another shop soon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I made a compliant to the Communications Regulator (iirc) about ten years ago as Vodafone were charging me €1/min for making calls whilst abroad. Only problem was, the wording in their brochure for the plan I was on was very ambiguous. The Communications Regulator agreed and I got a full refund for about four months worth of bills (and Vodafone reworded the plan!)

I also made a complaint to the Financial Regulator about GE Money. I had a car loan that I wanted to clear. I sent in a cheque but accidentally postdated it. I had to send in another cheque with the correct date. In my haste, I never cancelled the first cheque. GE Money cashed both... The Financial Regulator took a very dim view of this and I got a few hundred quid compensation. Contracts are two way things and it's not always the little guy who looses out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I complained to the National Consumer Agency about shoddy service product I got from TIME computers out in Blanch (long gone). They were really good and quickly got on to them; lo and behold, Time were suddenly responsive - I had had problems with a laptop I bought from them and said I wasn't going to make any payments until they sorted them. They replaced the laptop and I never heard from them again. They never collected a single payment for the laptop either.

I later heard that they had lost all their customers details re: the payments they were supposed to make. No wonder they went out of business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've made complaints, but they always seem to find their way to the department of I'm not legally obliged to take an interest in this issue so I'm not going to, goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I complained to the Financial Service Ombudsman when a mistake by our mortgage company cost us hundreds. I initially complained to them but they ignored the complaint. As soon as they heard from the FSO we got a refund and a massive apology as it was well and truly their f*ck up.

I complained the a government department when my email requests for updates were ignored...got a phone call and an update which is all I wanted in the first place.

I also complained to an insurance company about incessant sales calls when I had said I wasn't interested. Got a phone call and an apology.

I sound like a right whinger but I work in a financial services complaints department so I know how to be decent about complaining (i.e. no mad ranting and no abuse) and I also know when I have a valid complaint. I don't just complain for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I made a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman when I was 18, and things worked out in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Bought a packet of skittles before that only had 6 skittles in it.

Wrote a letter but only got a voucher for 2euro worth of sweets.

Bit crap really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I wrote a complaint to a holiday letting company in Rome because of the apartment we were given for a week. It was a fúcking disgrace. Damp and mold everywhere, bed was actually wet from the damp, smelly, cold etc. Now honestly when I go away I always go for cheap and cheerful and I don't care much for luxury. All I want is somewhere that's clean. This place was beyond bad.

Rang the rental agency the minute we got there. They sent an agent down to assist. I demanded my money back and was told I could have the balance minus the security deposit, which would have left us fecked financially for the week. Tired and depressed, we accepted the offer of having the bed clothes taken away for dry cleaning and a cleaning company come in the next day to do work while we would be out sight-seeing. The next evening, still as bad even after all the work etc but I couldn't be arsed fighting it. They delivered fresh bed clothes to the place every day though, which was something I suppose.

Anyway the day I got home I wrote a stinker of an email to them, ranting like a lunatic :D

Got a response the next day saying that the apartment had been removed from their listings (they were agents for private renters) and a 50% voucher for any apartment on their books in the future.

Sometimes pays to complain! I intend on using it on a trip to Florence in Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I complained to BBC many years ago about Anne Robinson from the Weakest Link and very shortly after got a serious reply from customer relations thanking me for my complaint and stating that the majority of the public do actually like her style. No dice so.

I also started proceedings to take a Dublin university to the small claims court because they put on a shoddy night course where the teacher did not turn up for a few lessons. Since they refused a refund, I started a small claims process against them knowing it would cost them more to have representation than to pay me back. The cheque was in the post within a week :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I've made a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman and to the Veterinary Council. Both resulted in disciplinary proceedings so it was worthwhile complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Would I simply take it when someone makes a mistake that disadvantages me? Hells no. I am €1,000s better off over complaints re: Insurance company not paying out claim, university over charging me fees, large retailer selling me a faulty laptop.

I'll be making a complaint to the UK Ombudsman next Monday about a regulated UK e-money provider.

Twasn't a lot of effort at all, though I do happen to have studied a bit of law

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sugar_fiend

I've made a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman and to the Veterinary Council. Both resulted in disciplinary proceedings so it was worthwhile complaining.

I considered making a complaint to the garda ombudsman once but my solicitor said it would be a waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I made a complaint in a hotel recently when the room they gave us was right over the bar and therefore really noisy - after I specifically requested a quiet room.

They gave us a room upgrade for the following night, free room service and a complimentary bottle of champagne with a box of chocolates. It was definitely worth complaining!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yeah, only because the matter was very serious.

I usually wouldn't ever have a reason to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm just not bothered enough about what other people are doing to be making formal complaints. Let them at it.

I think it would be great if Dublin had a few skyscrapers so it could look like a real city, for example, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was did the Garda do if you don't mind me asking ?

I've never complained to a State body, at least not in the way of an official complaint. I did once complain to a TD about a driving test where I showed up literally 5 minutes late on a wet day and they wouldn't let me sit the test, the RSA said they had no grace period whatsoever, not even 5 minutes. The complaint got me nowhere, I was told the only way to appeal it was to take a case to the District Court.

With companies I'd have no problem complaining if I feel it is warranted. Just today I dined on a €10 Insomnia voucher that the company gave me over a complaint about a staff member constantly burning the milk and customers mouths. A few weeks ago a speaker I paid Amazon a fair whack of money on broke down but was outside Amazon's returns period. I complained on the manufacturers Facebook page about how little it had lasted compared to the price it cost and within 24 hours they had a new speaker on the way to me.

Complaining with companies does usually work, especially if you are pointing out a flaw in their product/service, in fact acting on complaints is what will make their company even more successful. With public servants they have little motivation to be successful as they'll get paid the same regardless so complaining about the service they deliver usually doesn't get you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I don't normally complain, after working in retail for ten years and getting more abuse than anyone should have to handle I just let things go but I complained to the advertising standards people about that "he drives she dies" ad from the NRA
    it really irked me that it just painted all men as **** drivers who kill women.
    They wrote back and said that its not considered an ad and its considered a public safety announcement so they couldn't do anything, but would pass along my details. that pissed me off even more!
    The ad stopped shortly after so I think a few people complained about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

mikemac1 wrote: »

He put himself on the dole. He did practically the complete opposite of his job.

And at least you have a conscience about it. Sometimes customers make complaints without thinking about the potential repercussions for an employee. That is reckless complaining usually undertaken by serial complainers a.k.a. lonely, insecure, pathetic, way-over-entitled c***s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Irish people will only complain to their family and friends. " was everything ok sir/madam ?"
    'that was lovely thanks' waiter disappears.... ' that was awful food.. i never.....'

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MadsL wrote: »
    The contrast with the US is astonishing on retails sales. Basically you can return anything more or less in the US and get a refund/replacement. I have abused tools and returned them for replacements.

So far I have returned an electric toothbrush that kept breaking 3 times in the past year, a solar panel I cracked, a battery pack I left in the rain, a pack of wood I didn't use, an electric tester I used once and then returned, and a set of clamps that were too cheap not to buy and them they systematically broke.

Never a grumble and often non of this do you have a receipt crap.

You're the worst type of retail customer. Returning things you broke yourself? People will take the absolute piss with stuff, anyone who works in retail can back me up on this one, returning stuff months after they bought it or whatever jackass reason they can think they can get away with. One time in hmv I had a mother try to return a PSP console that her kid had dropped down the stairs and smashed into a dozen parts, the whole thing was bundled into the box and she just expected a replacement there and then, the manager laughed in her face when he saw it.

You can complain a right way when you're in the right, rational and valid issues should be addressed, but unfortunately we live in a society where the loudest gobsh1tes get what they want when they kick up a fuss like a 5 year old and managers just cave and give them what they want to shut them up, I see it EVERY day at work without fail.

Serial complainers/whingebags are pandered to FAR too much these days, I'm a big believer in self responsibility, break something through your own stupidity? tough. didn't read your contract? tough. Got the times of the cinema mixed up? tough. Complaining to get your own way when you think you're in the right and you're not is beyond childish.

Years and years ago I briefly worked in a cinema, a woman made a complaint against me and said she'd go further because I wouldn't ask the projectionist to hold starting the movie for 15 minutes because her husband was late and he didn't want to miss it. So this wagon expected me to start a film late that about 200 people were sitting in the cinema about to watch. Some people deserve to be boiled in their own piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I can be a narky old bollox. This is my main claim to fame in complaining. Involving Bank of Ireland, Meteor, Three [Hutch], IPSO, financial Regulator.

I don't expect you to read it all the way through. It's been on going since January 2012 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

MadsL wrote: »
    Have you every made a complaint to a State or Official body? What was the outcome?

I could regale you with numerous examples as I'm a serial "Dear Sir/Madam" complainer, but none of them are all that entertaining.

I have had dangerous advertising signs removed however, and had insurance companies prevented from discriminating on nationality. Much of my complaining has resulted in win.

So are you a 'sad git' complainer or 'couldn't be arsed' walk on by type?

The only advice I have to offer is to do a bit of googling and find out the responsible person's name, if at all possible, and address your complaint to them. Rather than risk is getting "lost in the system."

Advertisement