Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come the banks would get €11 Million immedialtely but not Dublin Bus?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

enricoh wrote: »
    celly, do you support the bus drivers striking because treble time on bank holidays is being reduced? time n a half , double maybe but treble pay is a joke that no company can afford.

Bank holiday is a days pay if you don't work so it is only 2 days pay for working, personally I am happy to sit at home with my family and have my days pay like everyone else.
    But if people want buses on Stephens Day, New Years day, Easter Monday etc etc then those people should be paid properly for leaving their families to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

cdebru wrote: »
    Bank holiday is a days pay if you don't work so it is only 2 days pay for working, personally I am happy to sit at home with my family and have my days pay like everyone else.
    But if people want buses on Stephens Day, New Years day, Easter Monday etc etc then those people should be paid properly for leaving their families to go to work.

Most companies only pay double time at most for a bank holiday or public holiday. That's all I ever got. Seems about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nobody forced them to become bus drivers. They knew that buses operate 364 days a year when they took on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nobody forced them to become bus drivers. They knew that buses operate 364 days a year when they took on the job.

My neighbour is a bus driver and by the way he goes on you'd swear it's hard work that they do. Everyone seems to think that these people are specially skilled in some way.

Train a few youngsters and **** them out :D:D

deisedevil wrote: »
    Most companies only pay double time at most for a bank holiday or public holiday. That's all I ever got. Seems about right to me.

it is double time, that is what most companies pay.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

Yeah and they knew what way they were paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

tin79 wrote: »
    Jaysus, will you culchites get that bloody chip off your shoulder.

Every thread about anything related to Dublin has to be spattered with these comments.

Grow up will yous.

fyp...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Are dublin bus back runnin today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Are dublin bus back ruining today
    dunno. probably. (CIE Bus inspector version of the answer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

No offence intended OP, but ffs people really need to get over the bank bailout comparisons. I'm sick to death of people pointing out that in their opinion x y or z should get money 'because the banks did'. Frankly, I think Dublin bus drivers are a bunch of greedy gits who couldn't give a flying frig about the inconvenience they've caused and it's probably only a matter of time before they pull the same stunt again.

If they aren't happy they need to p*ss or get off the pot. Stay or look for another job but holding the public to ransom is a bloody disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Dublin bus is already being heavily subsidised by the state - they received €73million in 2011 and €75.6million in 2010. despite all this money, they still lost €18million in 2011 and €22million in 2010.

the company needs to cut their loses, not keep costing the state money every year.

This is actually quite common for public transport in cities. New York subsidises the Subway, Paris the Metro. The reason is if they didn't have transport the cities would stop working and cost more to allow for private individual transport.

While people like to think it only effects Dublin a huge part of imports and exports come through Dublin too. The other cities would be effected by Dublin's problems within a few weeks.

Dublin bus is already being heavily subsidised by the state - they received €73million in 2011 and €75.6million in 2010. despite all this money, they still lost €18million in 2011 and €22million in 2010.

the company needs to cut their loses, not keep costing the state money every year.

No problem run it as a completely commercial company, let them operate where and when it is profitable to do so, let them decide their fare structure, and decide if they want to be part of any free travel scheme or negotiate one not have one imposed on it.

Routes are soon going to be tendered out to private operators they will still get a subvention.

No offence intended OP, but ffs people really need to get over the bank bailout comparisons. I'm sick to death of people pointing out that in their opinion x y or z should get money 'because the banks did'. Frankly, I think Dublin bus drivers are a bunch of greedy gits who couldn't give a flying frig about the inconvenience they've caused and it's probably only a matter of time before they pull the same stunt again.

If they aren't happy they need to p*ss or get off the pot. Stay or look for another job but holding the public to ransom is a bloody disgrace.

People who are only looking out for themselves and don't give a **** about anyone else as long as they are unaffected could be described as "greedy gits" take a look in the mirror to see what one looks like ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    This is actually quite common for public transport in cities. New York subsidises the Subway, Paris the Metro. The reason is if they didn't have transport the cities would stop working and cost more to allow for private individual transport.
    But Dublin isn't nearly like New York or Paris.
    Not in population nor in population density.

Dublin is more like a small city in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

jman0war wrote: »
    But Dublin isn't nearly like New York or Paris.
    Not in population nor in population density.

Dublin is more like a small city in the US.

It is the capital of the country. The rest of the country rely on it to generate income. Fuel is much more expensive than the US and I pretty sure France too. Name a small US city with a public transport system that isn't subsidised.

I just used cities that people could understand. It is pretty standard for public transport to be subsidised. In saying that it could be privatised if done right. The problem is if those companies failed the government would still have to provide public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

People who are only looking out for themselves and don't give a **** about anyone else as long as they are unaffected could be described as "greedy gits" take a look in the mirror to see what one looks like ;-)
    Very grown up argument there cdebru:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Property developers owe local authorities over €750m in levies

In response to the figures, a Fingal County Council spokesman said they overstate the true extent of the development levy arrears problem.

Director of Services Gilbert Power said that the actual amount of arrears owed to Fingal County Council is €6m, considerably less than the €131m contained in the department's figures.

ComReg reveals 4G auction results - €450m instant windfall for Irish Govt

Over 1.5 million people have €50 or less left over at the end of the month after their essential bills have been paid, according to a survey.

But the same people tell us that we spend an average of €527 at Christmas and 83% of that is financed from income and savings. How do those figure add up?

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/news/2012/title,7038,en.php

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But the same people tell us that we spend an average of €527 at Christmas and 83% of that is financed from income and savings. How do those figure add up?

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/news/2012/title,7038,en.php
    If you save €50 a month for 12 months ?

The reason those figures add up is that a lot of people are still managing. The difference is that the number of people who can't tighten their belts much further has increased a lot.

If you've only €50 at the end of the month taxi's are not an option.

€11 is a fraction of what was spent on the LUAS or the M50 bridge or Port Tunnel , it's a fraction of monies outstanding or windfalls

Wasn't there a property developer dude who got off €40m last week over something ?

And does anyone know the economic cost of the bus strike to businesses in Dublin , and from that seeing as how the government takes a 20-30% cut of GDP or whatever , how much money did the government loose in the strike ???

Advertisement