Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come the banks would get €11 Million immedialtely but not Dublin Bus?

Options
  • 06-08-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

If the banks needed an extra €11 million (or even billion) they would get it signed off almost immediately by the government because the banks are, of course, of systemic importance to the economy.

But, the only comprehensive metropolitan transport network in the capital is obviously not of systemic importance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Have my own car, don't have my own bank (unfortunately).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

jetsonx wrote: »
    If the banks needed an extra €11 million (or even billion) they would get it signed off almost immediately by the government because the banks are, of course, of systemic importance to the economy.

But, the only comprehensive metropolitan transport network in the capital is obviously not of systemic importance?

It's not of importance to anybody outside Dublin so why should taxpayers money be pumped in to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I think it's a major misconception that "the banks are state owned"

It might be more accurate to say "the state is bank owned"

ask 'that Dublin taxi driver'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

DarkJager wrote: »
    It's not of importance to anybody outside Dublin so why should taxpayers money be pumped in to it?

Because over a third of the population of the country live there and without a transport system dublin would cease to function and the rest of the country would be down the toilet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Dublin bus should've been fully privatised long ago.The performance of semi state bodies as well as their sense of entitlement is horrendous.

They've let it go on far too long,destroyed the sector and sadly there would be no buyers now to impliment an efficient and sensible service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This is so tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Because nobody outside of Dublin really gives a f*ck about Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

cdebru wrote: »
    Because over a third of the population of the country live there and without a transport system dublin would cease to function and the rest of the country would be down the toilet.

That's a bit melodramatic, cities like Limerick, Cork or Galway aren't going to grind to a halt because Dublin bus isn't running services.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DarkJager wrote: »

So nobody from outside of Dublin commutes into the city to work then no?

That time I commuted from Wicklow to college in Dublin city centre on Dublin bus for 4 years must have been a dream so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

how come bus drivers get paid close to 1000 a week and treble time on bank holidays? is that sustainable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I'd like 11 million quid.

I swear I'll put it to good use.

enricoh wrote: »
    how come bus drivers get paid close to 1000 a week and treble time on bank holidays? is that sustainable?
    You're looking at the average wage in Dublin bus,not the drivers salary.Bus Drivers do not get close to 1000 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dublin bus is already being heavily subsidised by the state - they received €73million in 2011 and €75.6million in 2010. despite all this money, they still lost €18million in 2011 and €22million in 2010.

the company needs to cut their loses, not keep costing the state money every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Because bankers are part of the political elite's social clique and Dublin Bus are not, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

celly, do you support the bus drivers striking because treble time on bank holidays is being reduced? time n a half , double maybe but treble pay is a joke that no company can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Good to see the Dublin bus worker using their time off to post on boards.

enricoh wrote: »
    celly, do you support the bus drivers striking because treble time on bank holidays is being reduced? time n a half , double maybe but treble pay is a joke that no company can afford.

I support the drivers to an extent,but not the process and means of their strike.Not collecting fares would've been much better practice.

I don't support what they're striking for,although I do support the unity they express.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Didn't CIE get a bail out last year ?? Personally I think the bus owning/operating/maintenance part of Dublin bus /cie should be privatised ... (farmed out to small /medium operators )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I support the drivers to an extent,but not the process and means of their strike.Not collecting fares would've been much better

Would that have been illegal (leaving a lot of drivers open to prosecution ) at least striking is legal ... Could they have refused overtime , substitution (work to rule )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

They don't get the support needed as a company that provides a service to the public, because fúck the small man. That's why!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Because nobody outside of Dublin really gives a f*ck about Dublin.

Jaysus, will you culchites get that bloody chip off your shoulder.

Every thread about anything related to Dublin has to be spattered with these comments.

Grow up will you.

tin79 wrote: »
    Jaysus, will you culchites get that bloody chip off your shoulder.

Every thread about anything related to Dublin has to be spattered with these comments.

Grow up will you.

You're just mad because Dublin is a smelly and dirty sh*thole with disastrous public transport facilities while in the rest of Ireland people are having a grand laugh on their horses and tractors with no traffic problems while engulfing the scenic views and fresh air.

Join us if you dare to be cleansed of eternal smelliness!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Dublin shouldn't be relying on buses in the first place. They should have gotten the Soviets to install a dirt cheap metro system back in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Itzy wrote: »
    They don't get the support needed as a company that provides a service to the public, because fúck the small man. That's why!

see my post above. the company already gets alot of money off the state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Whats with all the DB threads on AH.

Aren't there Dublin forums ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You're just mad because Dublin is a smelly and dirty sh*thole with disastrous public transport facilities while in the rest of Ireland people are having a grand laugh on their horses and tractors with no traffic problems while engulfing the scenic views and fresh air.

I am not from Dublin. I am just not a bitter bog sniffer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Fuck your Dublin Bus, I've a horse outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

DB needs to be privatised. Its currently a noose on the governments neck, its staff are being screwed by cuts, and passengers are being screwed by cuts in services and increases in fares.

Privatisation would bring in much needed funds to the government, and bring in competition and end the current monopoly. If done right, there would be increased routes, hopefully a clearer fare structure, a safer and more pleasurable journey, extended hours and more frequent service, better intergration and ticketing system with commuter rail, Dart, and Luas. All because companies would be competing for routes, rather than the current monoply fcuking up all of them.

Only downside would be the government would squander and mis spend their new found fortune.

MadsL wrote: »
    Fuck your Dublin Bus, I've a horse outside!

I wish I had a horse. All I have is a Civic :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I wish I had a horse. All I have is a Civic :o

You know what you can do with your Honda Civic, and your Subaru!

Advertisement