Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do former school bullies ever regret their actions?

Options
  • 05-08-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Do school bullies ever regret their actions from bullying others when they were back at school?

A lot of people who say that bullies often look back when they're adults and feel bad about what they did, however I'm not so sure. Most of the bullies I grew up with at school seemed to have relished what they did, and sometimes miss the mayhem they caused to others.

In a typical darwinian society a lot of school bullies obviously become successful businessmen as those traits of torturing/bullying others with ruthless disdain become useful in a capitalistic dog eat dog society that we live in.

In your experiance do all the bullies from your school ever feel bad for the pain the caused to others? Because people who were affected from school bullying often have to live with what happened to them for the rest of their lives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Yes, some of them most certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

DColeman wrote: »
    In a typical darwinian society a lot of school bullies obviously become successful businessmen as those traits of torturing/bullying others with ruthless disdain become useful in a capitalistic dog eat dog society that we live in..

In my experience school bullies become future drug dealers and all out scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Well, in my experience, I have found a 50:50 reaction from people who used to be right wan*ers to me back when I was in school. Im now in my 30s and of the people I bumped into the past few years, a lot of them are completely different, more mature and smashing people who probably cringe when they look back at how wild they were or how gullible they were in going along with the crowd. But I do know of a few lads who became nothing, still drinking in loser pubs, never working, and still (STILL!) more than willing to throw a bit of verbal abuse your way when you walk past them as they wait to die outside their house or pub, many are on drugs and yes, the old malevolence seems to have lived on inside them. Which is very sad as they can never move on from their issues, but some people will be horrible from birth to death.

I dont have any personal experience of meeting old schoolmates who may now be in top manager positions etc so cant comment on that Im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

One does.

There was a guy, a couple of years older than us, who used to make our lives a misery when we were going to school. We had a nickname for him which he did not like.

I ran into him a few years ago when I was walking through my old area. He was coming towards me with his wife and two children. The years had not been kind to him.

When I saw him the memories came flooding back. I could feel the rage. I stood in front of him and called him the nickname. I could see the shock and panic in his face. He couldn't get away quick enough.

I didn't say another word, continued on my way. It felt good. Closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,259 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Someone who made my life a living hell bumped into me years later in a pub, bought me a pint and apologised.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Hownowcow wrote: »
    One does.

There was a guy, a couple of years older than us, who used to make our lives a misery when we were going to school. We had a nickname for him which he did not like.

I ran into him a few years ago when I was walking through my old area. He was coming towards me with his wife and two children. The years had not been kind to him.

When I saw him the memories came flooding back. I could feel the rage. I stood in front of him and called him the nickname. I could see the shock and panic in his face. He couldn't get away quick enough.

I didn't say another word, continued on my way. It felt good. Closure.

What was the nickname? Is this why he picked on you? If so why did you continue to call him the nickname? Is that not you lot starting on him first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

The one's I knew grew up to be dickheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I was never a bully but I was certainly an a$$hole and probably made some people feel bad. One or two things I did would probably count as bullying. I honestly did not have the sense as a teenager to know what I was saying or how things might impact on people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

What was the nickname? Is this why he picked on you? If so why did you continue to call him the nickname? Is that not you lot starting on him first?

That's what I was thinking.

I wasn't bullied at school nor did I bully any schoolmates but I did participate, with a lot of the class, in tormenting a weak teacher when I was about 12-13. I then grew up. I still regret that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

OP, odd that you would think that bullies become business men! Most of the guys who bullied me in school hardly finished their education and are in loser, washed up jobs and lives. A few did okay and are salt of the earth now. A couple are dead (I had nothing to do with it, mainly auto accidents). Others, I have no idea what became of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 mikeoneil1000

the bullies i knew didn't turn out that great

mostly losers

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Someone who made my life a living hell bumped into me years later in a pub, bought me a pint and apologised.

A free pint ? well worth a miserable childhood and life long insecurity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Just wondering and pondering here - why are some people bullies? Is it because they can? I wasn't bullied at school but I was in the workplace. The feeling of powerlessness is still upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There is overwhelming evidence that Those that bully and have other sociopathic tendancies go on to continue such behaviour in latter life.

As such psycholocial assault is bizarrely not a criminal offence in this country - some of these individuals go on to obtain aggressive and dominant positions within companies and other organisations where there behaviour is even tolerated and rewarded.

Research has shown that some managers exhibit frequently these type of behaviours. Unfortunately in Ireland employment law ignores such behaviour where it lies outside Harrasment Law for specific categories sucb as religion, sexual orientaion and racism - the HSA have about as much authority as a bunch of chickens when it comes to bullying outside of such criteria.

It's about time that bullying behaviour where proven can be brought up as criminal behaviour - until then well the bullies continue to rule the schoolyard, the workplace and anywhere else they can get away with destroying others lives...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

I won't give the nickname. It could identify him, and me.

No the nickname was not why he picked on us. He only got the nickname a few years after he started on us. He had a very embarrassing incident that half the school witnessed.

We did not call him the nickname to his face. We only called him by the nickname amongst ourselves.

We did not start on him, he was a bigger than us. I presume this is why he started on us.

The only time I called him by the nickname to his face was as described in my earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

gozunda wrote: »
    There is overwhelming evidence that Those that bully and have other sociopathic tendancies go on to continue such behaviour in latter life.

As such psycholocial assault is bizarrely not a criminal offence in this country - some of these individuals go on to obtain aggressive and dominant positions within companies and other organisations where there behaviour is even tolerated and rewarded.

Research has shown that some managers exhibit frequently these type of behaviours. Unfortunately in Ireland employment law ignores such behaviour where it lies outside Harrasment Law for specific categories sucb as religion, sexual orientaion and racism - the HSA have about as much authority as a bunch of chickens when it comes to bullying outside of such criteria.

It's about time that bullying behaviour where proven can be brought up as criminal behaviour - until then well the bullies continue to rule the schoolyard, the workplace and anywhere else they can get away with destroying others lives...

I've seen a lot worse in other countries. But yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

No the nickname was not why he picked on us. He only got the nickname a few years after he started on us. He had a very embarrassing incident that half the school witnessed.

We did not call him the nickname to his face. We only called him by the nickname amongst ourselves.

We did not start on him, he was a bigger than us. I presume this is why he started on us.

The only time I called him by the nickname to his face was as described in my earlier post.

Oh Right, I thought you meant ye started calling him a nickname and then he retaliated. Sorry for taking up your first post wrong. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

I'd imagine the majority of them end up having menial lives.

I've seen a lot worse in other countries. But yes.

Agred It's not unique to here but at least some other other countries have legal systems / work regulations that at least have been given the balls and in some places actual powers to criminalise such behaviour where it has been proven - but then we live in a society that traditionally been ruled by sociopathic and psychotic individuals / organisations under the guise of paternalistic benelovance - time we strung the f*ckers up by their unmentionables and stop excusing such behaviours imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Frogeye wrote: »
    A free pint ? well worth a miserable childhood and life long insecurity!

The person can't undo the past. At least they were able to recognise what they had done to the poster and apologised in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

You can't tease us like that.

Was his nick name 'Dog Fingerer' ?

'Sh!t My Pants' ?

'Gym Teacher's Bitch' ?

'1/2 Inch Henry' ?

'Tranny' ?

'The Guy Who Got Abused On The Way To Knock' ?

C'mon, blame me if he finds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Sugar Free wrote: »
    The person can't undo the past. At least they were able to recognise what they had done to the poster and apologised in person.

yeah fair play, bit smart arsed from Frogeye. Frogeye had something similarish happen to him, when he was only a tadpole.

Guy used to give me a hard time from when I was 11 to about 15/16. nothing too serious. I didn't have to meet him all that often or anything but if i did meet him i was sure to get his attentions. I guess I brought a lot of it on myself because I wouldn't change or submit or whatever the proper word is. Anyways......

So i haven't seen the guy for about 10 years or so until one day i walks into a place to get something ( can't really give more details than that), there is yer man behind the counter. I get a big hello and a " I suppose you'll be wanting a discount" ... he was all friendly so I was friendly back. No point being bitter. He was young, I was young, it made me a bit tougher so what was the harm in the long run. Not the same for everyone I'm sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭GSF

3rdDegree wrote: »
    OP, odd that you would think that bullies become business men! Most of the guys who bullied me in school hardly finished their education and are in loser, washed up jobs and lives. A few did okay and are salt of the earth now. A couple are dead (I had nothing to do with it, mainly auto accidents). Others, I have no idea what became of them.

You must have had a relay team of bullies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'd two guys who were part of a group who bullied me and a couple of my friends in my teens apologise to me in my twenties. It meant a lot and I accepted it. They seemed genuinely remorseful.

I'd another one forget who I was and crack on to me. I reminded him who I was and told him to piss off. That felt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd two guys who were part of a group who bullied me and a couple of my friends in my teens apologise to me in my twenties. It meant a lot and I accepted it. They seemed genuinely remorseful.

I'd another one forget who I was and crack on to me. I reminded him who I was and told him to piss off. That felt good.

I reckon the "joining in the the crowd" type bully would have a better chance of being remorseful than the lone bully that singles out kids.
    Sometimes you just join the crowd because you're glad it's someone else and not you being bullied.

Not that I ever did it, I was a perfect child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Pai Mei wrote: »
    In my experience school bullies become future drug dealers and all out scumbags

Most of the people I know who were bullies have gone on to be very successful (or will go on to be very successful).

Most of the people I know who were bullies have/will go on to be very successful.

"Successful" meaning that they climb/slime/ bully their way over those that they victimise...

Unfortunately some companies / organisations see such individuals as management potential however they are often toxic and damaged goods that usually deserve at a minimum reeducation and if necessary incarceration for their behaviour which often destroys other people's lives.

As I said before it is time that this type of characteristic is outed for what it actually is - actual assault. The fact that it is psychological assault makes no difference - it is behaviour that is designed to cause actual harm to others and requires to be assigned a legal status similar to actual physical assault

And before anyone comes back and attempts to downgrade what bullying may be - bullying is well defined as:

"Bullying is defined by as repeated physical, verbal or psychological aggression directed by an individual or group against others. Bullying can occur at any age, in any environment, and can be long or short-term" (Dept of Education)
    And alternatively
    "repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work." (HSA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

A lot of the people I knew who were bullies usually get what's coming to them somewhere down the line. Instant karma's gonna get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The biggest bully I knew , did go on to be a successful businessman . - Got married , divorced .

brought home a lady from Thailand over the last few years and they have kid now .

His business did get ransacked , robbed , and even burned down .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Wattle wrote: »
    A lot of the people I knew who were bullies usually get what's coming to them somewhere down the line. Instant karma's gonna get you.

In Hollywood films perhaps. However, in real life, plenty of people who bullied and continue to bully will get on very well. It can be nice to think that they will get their comeuppance (some of them will) but in most cases they will live happy and fulfilling lives.

Advertisement