Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too old

Options
  • 04-08-2013 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

So when is too old to be out in pubs and clubs getting drunk?
    I'm 25 and feel past it but I dont want to feel it! Am I silly and getting old before my time?
    What age did you feel u had enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

risteard7 wrote: »
    I'm 25 and feel past it but I dont want to feel it! Am I silly and getting old before my time?
    What age did you feel u had enough?

I met my wife in a nightclub at 26 , she was supposed to be home minding the kids and I was supposed to be off fishing.
    We had one hell of a row that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'd say about 30 for me. Hate going into town on a Saturday. Few pints straight after work on a Friday is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

What would you prefer to do?
    I don't think we're exactly spoilt with choice for things to do at the weekend in Ireland other than pub/club.
    I lived in mainland europe for a bit, and one thing I miss is the cafe culture. Just sitting round talking with mates late into the evening. Seems that most places here have thumping music.
    I'm 28, and haven't felt like the irish style of nightlife in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

ya I was getting tired of going out every weekend around that age too. What turned me off was the rip off nightclubs with **** music and ignorant bouncers during the boom when they got the crowds. I started to either go for a few quiet ones with the lads or having a few at home or in their gaffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You're as old as you feel I suppose. However 25 is still pretty young in fairness in the grand scheme of things, I know clubs seem to be infested with teeny boppers these days. I've always preferred a nice late bar with a bit of live music anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I met my 2nd wife in a night club. I was 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Depends. If you're in your 40s and going to a club were the crowd is usually 18-20 and most of the crowd consist of "who can get drunk fastest and pass out", yes, sad.
    Going out with friends and trying to meet someone then there's no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The day I'm too old to get drunk is the day I stop drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was about 30 before I realised drinking too much didn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

25? Sure you're only a pup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Everyone is different.

I'm 35 and the idea of going to a club in Ireland is grim beyond belief.

But I loved it when I was 17.

At 25, quietish pubs were my thing.

There are no rules. Do what your heart and instincts are telling you and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I stopped going to nite clubs when I was 35, they just got boring and were full of snotty drunk teenagers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm 30 next month and I think I've been to a nightclub about 3 times in my life.

Never understood the attraction myself. Give me a good pub any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'm 33 and like heading out garglng in town but I never liked clubs. If you enjoy it, you're not too old.

In the pubs I go to in town, im rarely one of the oldest. I find there's generally an older crowd out nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I'm 33 and like heading out garglng in town but I never liked clubs. If you enjoy it, you're not too old.

In the pubs I go to in town, im rarely one of the oldest. I find there's generally an older crowd out nowadays.

Grab a granny night , your thing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Your age is irrelevant. If your body is reacting badly to alcohol, it's time to stop, regardless of age. This can happen when you're 18 or 80. For you it's 25. Time to stop / slow down.

Also, clubs/pubs are boring as f*** after a few years. Once you realise this, it's very hard to un-realise it. Replace your clubbing/pubbing with something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

mattjack wrote: »
    I met my wife in a nightclub at 26 , she was supposed to be home minding the kids and I was supposed to be off fishing.
    We had one hell of a row that night.

It took me a second. :)

*disengages brain and resumes being slack-jawed yokel*

• Registered Users Posts: 3 infidel_hassan

I'm 25, too but still feel young. I'll probably stop going to pubs when I'm 40. lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

in london and ibiza you are never too old but over here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

A million times yes. Where the hell did you get this idea? What about all your peers who are heading out regularly? You're probably the only 25-year-old ever in this day and age and society to think the way you do.

There are people 10-15 years older than you who go out regularly and don't put any thought into it the way you do. It's just a matter of going to places that are for your age group. But even that advice is more for people who are 30+. Plus not all places cater for a particular age group - their customers can be any age from 18 on.

• Advertisement

I'm 25, too but still feel young. I'll probably stop going to pubs when I'm 40. lol!

But why? Why should you stop going to pubs at 40? I see loads of people older than that out and about in town and there's no problem at all.

The only time to stop going out regularly IMO is when you have a babby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

nah having a kids don't mean you cant go out regularly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

If you like it, do if. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Personally the novelty wore off after a few years for me and I haven't gone clubbing since my early 20s.

nah having a kids don't mean you cant go out regularly

Less regularly, but yeah, it doesn't mean your social life has to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

Nothing appeals to me less than going to a nightclub anymore and I'm only 19. I'm much happier since swapping to a late night bar with live music, it's a little bit less grotesque. If you're not enjoying it, find something else that you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

u saying having kids you should stop going out? Im only 22 have a baby should i stop? I havent gone out since last year but thats not the point.
    Also i think it depends on the club itself, the club at home i just see lots of people younger than me so i dont go there, its the one and only club , theres clubs in the town i live now and id feel young there as there would be lots of older people.. It really depends on the club and maybe maturity. Friends i have that are my age prefer to be in a pub, you can sit down have the craic and dont get overpriced on drink or an entry fee

annettea wrote: »
    u saying having kids you should stop going out?
    Nah, just less regularly. It's not what I think, it's just the way it goes - especially when the baby is really small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

h?

Bout tree fiddy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I stopped drinking at the end of 2011, when I was 25. I will be 27 next month. I get told that this is very unusual for my age, but, as someone said earlier in the thread, you should try and get rid of the alcohol when you are reacting badly to it. As a result of this, I am rarely out on the town anymore, but I have other means by which I enjoy myself nowadays instead.

Advertisement