Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland Senior Football Quarter-Final: Monaghan v Tyrone - 3/8/2013 5pm Croke Par

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Agree, but 99.9% would have seen red

Thats the truth. Any one who is honest would have done the same. However will Tyrone answer the question like they did last week and say there was others doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

double GG wrote: »
    99.9% of all players would have done the exact same thing as Cavanagh.
    Doesn't make it right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

This is correct, and 100% of fans would be roaring to bring him down.

100 % of the opposition would be disgusted.

Time to change the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Always felt sorry for Germans because they couldn't have Hitler parody videos. They just need to put any subtitles they want to Brolly going ballistic now!

hitler.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Shut up Lester you ask the questions not give your opinion.Brolly is right
    Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Tristram wrote: »
    Do we expect the referee to just make up new rules now?

I knew you'd bite as soon as the rules became the issue

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The problem is the rules, not the ref or the player.
    Yes it was cynical, yes we don't like it, yes if Mayo were in the same position I would be shouting "break his legs" and yes if it happened to me I would have tried (I am a fatty) to take him down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

misguided disgust by Brolly in fairness, its not Cavanagh that should have drawn his fury its the GAA who don't empower referees to punish this cynicism with red cards.

Tyrone deserved their win, marginally better throughout a poor game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

blueser wrote: »
    Who?
    Lyster no need to be smart

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Relax and dont overstep the mark. Joe Brolly throwing one of his famous wobblies makes the mods job harder.

Read the forum charter and post within the rules folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Stinicker wrote: »
    Fair play to Brolly telling it how it is, Tyrone are the most negative and cynical team to ever grace the hallowed sod. Their players are cynics and nothing but cheats. This is the truth. At the same time Monaghan beat themselves today and either Donegal or Mayo will grind Tyrone but I hope they don't and that my county Kerry get this golden opportunity to the bury them into the ground in Croke Park and banish this scum football for once and for all.

Scum football and cheating, lol.
    Change the rules by all means, but don't blame the players for making perfectly sensible decisions within the current rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I knew you'd bite as soon as the rules became the issue

Me? I'm all for having a conversation about changing the rules. Not for criticizing the ref for not enforcing non-existent rules.

"Thanks Joe." :D

yop wrote: »
    lol. Bend the rules, its not rugby.

Read the rest of my post.

I misinterpreted 'sours the win' as maybe ambiguity surrounding Tyrone's win but having read your post again i can see you meant it more in terms of ethics which i dont think Mickey Harte or Tyrone will care too much about

I know Rugby tacking isnt part of the game but it is up to the powers that be to take appropriate action and until they do then we cant complain about lads taking Cavanagh's course of action. Desperate times required desperate measures and he took them. He got away with it to a certain degree. Cavanagh isnt making the rules he is just playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Poor joe lost the plot there bigtime, any player for any county or club would do the same thats for sure
    as for the game was pretty poor all round and both teams were poor and i dont expect tyrone to beat mayo or donegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

misguided disgust by Brolly in fairness, its not Cavanagh that should have drawn his fury its the GAA who don't empower referees to punish this cynicism with red cards.

Just more experienced, Monaghan could and should have beaten them but Tyrone's cynicism and the extra bit of cuteness won it, Monaghan failed to take advantage with Tyrone down to 14 men and Hughes sending off afterwards was no Red Card as he caught him on the chest, a yellow yes but not a red. Tommy Freeman should have been on from the start and I disagree that Tyrone are a better team but they have more experience and a far superior management who pulled a victory from the fire wheras Monaghan with some better training and management should have disposed of Tyrone and their cynicism by at least 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

We all know what we would expect a player to do in that situation.

Red Card for a 'Tackle from Behind' inside the 45 would solve it. That way its player on the ball v defenders in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness theres a couple of managers who obsession with gaming the game makes the GAA piling on new rule after new rule necessary

maybe "a year ban for gamesmanship" rule aimed at managers would sort it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

All this chat about black cards, how difficult can it be for congress to bring in a rule that a professional foul committed to prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity is a straight red card? Tyrone down to 13, problem solved - either Cavanagh pulls out of the tackle or misses the rest of the game and the semi as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Anyway....I guess I'll see ye all in the Dublin v Cork thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Hughes sending off afterwards was no Red Card as he caught him on the chest, a yellow yes but not a red.

It was a second yellow card not a straight red

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Scum football and cheating, lol.
    Change the rules by all means, but don't blame the players for making perfectly sensible decisions within the current rules.

Those players have nothing to be proud of and you either go out onto the field of play to play the game as it was meant to be played and in the ethos of the association. Cheating is nothing to be proud of, it is a sport and an amateur one at that, Monaghan were back in Croker for the first time since 2007 and today they were cheated out of a place in the Semi-Final and then RTÉ went award the MOTM to Cavanagh after that disgusting piece of play.

Also we must not forget Martin Penrose's disgraceful punch into the face which earned him a Red Card after the restart. You can win and you can win but winning in this manner is nothing to be proud of and it goes totally against what the GAA is about.

This is what the GAA is about and those guilty Tyrone players today were an utter disgrace to the what the association is supposed to be about.

Those players have nothing to be proud of and you either go out onto the field of play to play the game as it was meant to be played and in the ethos of the association. Cheating is nothing to be proud of, it is a sport and an amateur one at that, Monaghan were back in Croker for the first time since 2007 and today they were cheated out of a place in the Semi-Final and then RTÉ went award the MOTM to Cavanagh after that disgusting piece of play.

Also we must not forget Martin Penrose's disgraceful punch into the face which earned him a Red Card after the restart. You can win and you can win but winning in this manner is nothing to be proud of and it goes totally against what the GAA is about.

This is what the GAA is about and those guilty Tyrone players today were an utter disgrace to the what the association is supposed to be about.

:rolleyes: Baby jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Yeah he's a player with a brilliant disciplinary record :eek:

Sure in that very same match, Sheehan did exactly what Cavanagh did today i.e. dragging down a player through on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

More example of kerry "fair" play/ethos
    Aidan O'Mahony fake dive

Paul Galvin hitting the ref notebook

Kerry's "goal" against Tipp (1999 Munster football c'ship) No offer of a replay.

Every team cheats/blends the rules or they arent very successful.

Stinicker doesn't respond to logic, no point arguing with him.

More example of kerry "fair" play/ethos
    Aidan O'Mahony fake dive

Every team cheats/blends the rules or they arent very successful.

Not to forget of course Mr Tadhg Kenneally who later admitted in his autobiography to his premeditated attack on his Cork opponent in the 09 AIF

This is the guy who besmirched Cormac McAnallen by the way. The most disgraceful post I've seen on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Its sickening that Tyrone won and I hope Mayo get past Donegal and hammer them in the semi although Mayo aren't angels either. Cavanagh was superb again today and done the correct thing in order to help his team win so you cant really blame him for doing it.

What Sean Cavanagh did is not a red card offence. It should be and you would hope that the administrators would see this type of sh1te as a scourge on the game and do something drastic (bypass congress) to make any rugby tackle that denies a goal scoring chance a red card offence.

In Gaelic Games even tough we have had rules for over 125 years you can still only receive a straight red card for assaulting someone on the field be it a kick, punch or a wild strike with a hurl. The tackle that Cavanagh executed should be a red card but isn't unfortunately.

Brolly is a complete joke he just follows the in team it was Armagh in the early 00's Tyrone for the rest of the decade, Donegal for the last couple of years he has now turned his attention to being in love with Mayo. His comments tonight might have credibility of he didn't change his mind so often to suit the latest trend.

What is sad is that despite the overall quality of football being fairly high in this game the main talking point will be a negative one. Some of the point scoring in particular by Tyrone was sublime. Unfortunately the media will latch on to this and do even more whinging about Gaelic Football its frustrating that 90% of football coverage seems to emphasise the negative rather than the positive aspects of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 razor2013

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm hearing this all week but I can't understand it. Monaghan have been getting better with each match and have had a two week break to recover from what was an intense Ulster Final. They finally have a strong squad which they were severely lacking a few years back when the Banty had a very good first 15 but no bench. Last week they brought on two experienced players in Freeman and Clerkin which would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

Tyrone have struggled in most of their matches in the Championship and don't look anything like the team they were a few years back. O'Neill looks frustrated at the lack of service, Penrose looks awful and it's only really Kavanagh who has delivered consistently all year. Bookies have Tyrone as relatively strong favourites at 1/2 but I'm all over Monaghan at 2/1 and am very surprised at how many people seem to be going for Tyrone.

Owen Lennon and Darren Hughes in the middle have developed into an excellent duo. Dessie Mone will draw fouls out of the Tyrone defence all day long with his marauding runs through midfield. McManus and Hughes causing havoc up top as well. I just think Monaghan have more players playing at the top of their game than Tyrone. Monaghan by four points.

I was at the match today. Absolutely disgusted with Monaghan. Missed a few easy points. Just disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Declan O'Sullivan didn't do it to Kevin McManaman in the 2011 final so I guess that puts in him the 0.1%. :D
    O'Sullivan would probably have another Celtic Cross if he did.

Advertisement