Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

That music sounds like it's playing through a mobile phone speaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Haven't a note in my head but might join that choir. Wouldn't be out of place. I genuinely thought Pat had rounded up a few of the office workers to sing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Wow, they have been talking about that "New Port" in Galway on reclaimed land since I lived there in 2013!! Why are we so slow to get anything done in this country....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway is tidal, waste of money throwing money at it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Post edited by zell12 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Fair play to Pat for staying enthusiastic during this segment on "how to buy running shoes". It's up there with Drivetime's segment on shampooing your hair twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yep I switched it off, who cares. Loads of big political stuff to cover without crap like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

Pat almost in meltdown over the deflation of SUV tyres by climate activists in Churchtown. He must drive a monster tank himself.

Not much balance in evidence. Lost a bit of respect for PK there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Jesus who are these two?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Allinall

He drives an EV as far as I know.

He's right to be angry about illegality.

What sort of balance are you looking for? Someone to defend illegality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I dislike SUVs, but this type of 'activism' doesn't help climate issues, it just gets peoples' backs up. It's a fair bet they didn't let down/slash their own families and neighbours vehicles.

I'm sorry but those two women were absolute idiots to be walking on a railway line. If it was kids or teens it would be half expected they would do stupid things, but two grown adults? What the hell were they playing at?

That said I cant imagine what the families or indeed the driver is going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

First off , he introduced the item with the incorrect emotive phrase 'tyres slashed' when they were only deflated. Then he flew down the throat of the woman (Sive ?) representing the climate cause by making constant scornful interjections. He conjured up extreme unlikely examples of people being inconvenienced -what are the odds of a pregnant woman about to deliver being caught up in one of these escapades ? He put words in her mouth.

As for balance - there was a torrent of indignation about a small scale action to raise awareness about a serious climate question. Where was the corresponding indignation about the large scale collective damage being done by more and more huge motor vehicles being driven on our roads ?

The attitude to Sive was hostile and over the top -with Conor Faughnan it was like two lads having a chat in a bar. Some balance.

One can note also that the topic would be unlikely to be debated on the show at all only for the fact that a form of direct action was taken.

One point that could usefully have been mentioned relates to road tax. One can spend 50,000 or more buying a new car ,SUV or other, and then pay merely 200 or so in road tax. I struggle to see the sense in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agree with all of this.

My blood was boiling listening to the whole item, he was so obnoxious and condescending and disrespectful - I don't know how she kept her temper and answered every spurious scenario reasonably, but she did. I don't necessarily agree with the action taken (I'd be mad as hell if it was my car and I went out in the morning to find the tyres let down!) but I thought she broadened out the discussion very well and made some very good points. Pat was like a spoilt, sulky child.

Definite win for the climate side in that article.

As for the two eejits that followed - OMFG.

No suv owner: omg imma going to recycle this awful suv and buy a push bike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭elperello

PK was a bit hard on Sadhbh but she did come on to equivocate for the tyre interferers.

I think his reaction was illustrative of most people's reaction to the idea of having ones property interfered with.

It's a stupid tactic that generates more heat than light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Listened to the podcast , Pat was extremely restrained, not only did the militant siabh show her Contempt for democracy, she was an apologist for eco terrorism, ghoul of a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Whatever about condescension from Pk and Conor Faughnan, if someone is spouting absolute nonsense as Sadbh ONeill was he's duty bound as a serious broadcaster to intervene and hold her to account.

Whatever about the validity of the points she's making she lost all respect in justifying the vandalism of people's property. You immediately loose the argument when you piss off and alienate people like this.

I'm no fan of suv's and think they are a blight on our roads. However last I knew we lived in a democracy and if one has the means to do so they can drive any vehicle they wish.

For balance take a visit to Texas to understand the true meaning of the phrase "sports utility vehicle ".

• Advertisement

Most likely it's a bunch of affluent Ché t shirt wearing students from not too far away, still living at home and leeching off mummy and daddy who did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Icsics

This man is hitting the nail on the head about the supports being dished out to Ukrainians.

Support them of course, no need of gold plated supports. Let's be realistic for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It's part of the new breed of politician and their need to be seen as the best boy/girl/prefer not to say in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

We haven't been able to secure accommodation in either of the two cities one of my kids wants to go to college in.

She works a part time job with a Ukrainian lad. A lovely young fella, he described how he got out when he was 17, his brother, father, cousins in late teens early 20s stayed behind. He's not too happy to see all the young men in their 20s where he is staying.

Anyway, last year he got a place in the University my daughter wants to go to. And accommodation in one of the student blocks on campus. All free gratis. We haven't been able to secure accommodation in any of the on campus blocks (where we would have to pay from 6.5 to 8.5k for 30 weeks while at the same time paying 2.5k for fees). Yes we are not fleeing war and should be grateful for that etc etc but it's difficult not to feel a bit hard done by all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭baldbear

Yeah it's tough going. I do think the government are been too generous towards Ukrainian refugees .

The big winners are the accomodation providers.

They're all afraid of their lives of being labelled "right wing" by voicing a concern.

Meanwhile the owners of crap hotels are laughing all the way to try bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

My sister-in-law got caught a few months ago with a flat tyre, no spare and 3 toddlers in the car.

This quiet petite woman would likely do MMA style ultra violence on somebody she catches letting down her tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I was wondering is our heightened level of support coming from a place of guilt in being unable, or unwilling, to send any military aid.

How much would be spent on sending arms etc, had we the ability, vs the cost of taking in Ukrainians and looking after them well?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

There is some military aid in the form of training and non lethal equipment as far as I know. Our own defence forces could hardly give them pea shooters even if they were allowed to.

Still, people are moaning about this minimal aid, the Irish Anti War Movement whining about neutrality and citing the 1916 Rising where we were hardly neutral at all, getting arms from one of the main combatants!

Advertisement