Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people remember pin numbers

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

cournioni wrote: »
    I never remember my Personal Identification Number numbers. Especially the ones at the Automated Teller Machine machine. Same with my Personal Public Service Number number.

This post restored my faith in this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only one annoyed by people saying "PIN Number" or "ATM Machine"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'd agree though it is becoming a problem

I have locked myself out of Verified by Visa more times than I care to remember.
    I HATE VERIFIED BY VISA!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

x43r0 wrote: »
    This post restored my faith in this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only one annoyed by people saying "PIN Number" or "ATM Machine"

That's what happens when an acronym becomes a word in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I HATE VERIFIED BY VISA!!!!!

I dread every time I see this pop up, always followed by a , I've forgotten my password phone call :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think the biggest problem with verified by visa is that it makes you set up the password when you're in the middle of a transaction.

Then you pick something so clever you can't even remember it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How do people not remember than pin already includes number? PIN number makes no sense unless you go to UCDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

10% of people use 1234 apparently so it's probably the first number thieves will try.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

kneemos wrote: »
    10% of people use 1234 apparently so it's probably the first number thieves will try.

Wha !! :confused::confused: where would you get a statistic like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I have a single four-digit 'master' pin that I combine with the last four digits on the card to produce a PIN for that card. I do the same mathematical operation with the two numbers to product a PIN for each card.
    That way if somebody were to determine the PIN for one card and proceed to steal my wallet, they still wouldn't have the PIN for the other cards.
    I only have to really remember one number, and a maths function.

For example, two cards:
    4988 5300 0012 1234
    5425 2300 5424 9510

If my master PIN was 1111, and the operation was to subtract it, my PINs would be:
    1234 - 1111 = 0123
    9510 - 1111 = 8399

Most of the time I recall the PIN for each individual card but when I blank, I just have to glance at the card itself to come up with the PIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

ectoraige wrote: »
    I have a single four-digit 'master' pin that I combine with the last four digits on the card to produce a PIN for that card. I do the same mathematical operation with the two numbers to product a PIN for each card.
    That way if somebody were to determine the PIN for one card and proceed to steal my wallet, they still wouldn't have the PIN for the other cards.
    I only have to really remember one number, and a maths function.

For example, two cards:
    4988 5300 0012 1234
    5425 2300 5424 9510

If my master PIN was 1111, and the operation was to subtract it, my PINs would be:
    1234 - 1111 = 0123
    9510 - 1111 = 8399

Most of the time I recall the PIN for each individual card but when I blank, I just have to glance at the card itself to come up with the PIN.

Clever bugger, go to the top of the class ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ifeelill wrote: »
    Wha !! :confused::confused: where would you get a statistic like that ?

Google pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

I've never changed my PIN on any of the cards I've had. I find it easier to just remember the number that has been allocated to the card. Mad, eh?

I tend to be good at remembering numbers, though. I still remember my exam number from when I did the Inter Cert (the older version of the Junior Cert, for you youngsters out there) in 1988, and I even remember birthdays of people I went to primary school with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

In the last place I did some work for, I had to remember a code to open the doors, I just memorised it. As for the pin number for an atm card, I do the same thing. I tend to be quite good at remembering numbers. If you're not, try to think of a number that only you would know (not the year of your birth or your birthday though!

If someone has their pin as 0000 or 1234 they may as well not have a pin. I think 0000 was the number one mostly used pin number, I remember it being said on today fm one time.

Advertisement