Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Anne's parkrun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Good stuff....will try get myself up there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well done to Susan and the team of volunteers at St Anne's today (including annapr, murph, eoinin, and kennyg - they are the ones whose boards names I know!) for hosting almost 200 runners in conditions that were far from ideal. Lovely friendly holiday atmosphere and a good way to help work off the festive excess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done yourself, J - glad to see you held off the challenge from your little group to stay in fourth position. Good to see all a lot of the core team out running for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Great to be back running again after 2 years of hell with my left hip, had to undergo a complete hip replacement May last year, was expecting the consultant to tell me not to run again, but NO he didn't, he told me to cross train and run short distances twice weekly, no long runs.

I"m back running since early October mixed with some cycling in between and 20 minutes strength exercises daily.

Completed my 3rd St Anne's Parkrun last week, my 21 minutes days are long gone, so was happy to run 26.29.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

JosDel wrote: »
    Great to be back running again after 2 years of hell with my left hip, had to undergo a complete hip replacement May last year, was expecting the consultant to tell me not to run again, but NO he didn't, he told me to cross train and run short distances twice weekly, no long runs.

I"m back running since early October mixed with some cycling in between and 20 minutes strength exercises daily.

Completed my 3rd St Anne's Parkrun last week, my 21 minutes days are long gone, so was happy to run 26.29.

Excellent. Nice come back and great choice of parkrun:)

Might bump into you one of these days down there. Plenty of people from around these parts can be found @ St Anne's parkrun each Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

FBOT01 wrote:
    Might bump into you one of these days down there. Plenty of people from around these parts can be found @ St Anne's parkrun each Saturday.

Thanks FBOT01

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

What? No comments yet on the new route!!! Have to say it was great not to have to deal with the avenue of death but Annie's Folly is something to look forward to :eek:

There'll be some crack in the weeks ahead as we get used to the new layout ... and conserve some energy for the big finish up the folly, round the bend to the finish line. Fun times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Mike1961 wrote: »
    What? No comments yet on the new route!!! Have to say it was great not to have to deal with the avenue of death but Annie's Folly is something to look forward to :eek:

There'll be some crack in the weeks ahead as we get used to the new layout ... and conserve some energy for the big finish up the folly, round the bend to the finish line. Fun times ahead.

There were some comments on it on the main parkrun thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056845042&page=143

I loved it too. Hill not too bad and loads of downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Love the new route, but can I ask why ?

ConorJ said something about an astro pitch closing the path over there, but I ran around there last night and not much going on ?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Love the new route, but can I ask why ?

ConorJ said something about an astro pitch closing the path over there, but I ran around there last night and not much going on ?

Parks department said the section around the tennis courts would have works going on for around 6 months so we were to find an alternative. Ran through there myself this morning and agree there is no issue, but perhaps the works haven't ramped up yet. Either way, we had to change, so we did. The new route was the best alternative we could think of that was max two laps and didn't need out and backs, wouldn't affect the red stables etc and also is actually quite a nice run. Would have loved to incorporate the avenue but alas that was not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Did my first park last Saturday in St Anne's..great day..happy enough with my time but will be back in Saturday to I improve ðŸ˜

Zipppy wrote: »
    Did my first park last Saturday in St Anne's..great day..happy enough with my time but will be back in Saturday to I improve ðŸ˜

Hope you enjoyed Saturday, Zippy. Go for it this Saturday - that's one of the best things about parkrun - working on your PB over time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

am planning to start this in st annes in the next couple of weeks. have an adventure race coming up soon and only started running again a few weeks ago!

you might see me there pushing my bright green baby jogger :)

am planning to start this in st annes in the next couple of weeks. have an adventure race coming up soon and only started running again a few weeks ago!

By any chance, have you been pushing that baby jogger along the coast path between Raheny and Sutton , where I would have seen you on both Saturday and yesterday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Excellent. We'll keep an eye out for you. Make sure you say Hello. I am RD this week and Killerz in on the following week.

Killerz wrote: »
    By any chance, have you been pushing that baby jogger along the coast path between Raheny and Sutton , where I would have seen you on both Saturday and yesterday morning?

i have indeed! was that you also running with a double one?

i have indeed! was that you also running with a double one?

Assuming I'm the only one you met with a double jogger, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Killerz wrote: »

#stalker!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Fantastic, another baby jogger. Keep your energy for the push uphill off the coast. Say hello, I'll be pushing the black buggy. Be wary of the bumps along the coast on the way back!!!

AlanPat wrote: »
    Fantastic, another baby jogger. Keep your energy for the push uphill off the coast. Say hello, I'll be pushing the black buggy. Be wary of the bumps along the coast on the way back!!!

i might redefine the term jogger myself, i have no pace at the moment. am away this weekend so hope to start the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Is it ok to run st Anne's without a baby buggy? :p

annapr wrote: »

there was me posting yesterday thinking i'd be the odd one out :)

annapr wrote: »

If you're feeling left out, you are more than welcome to borrow mine... Only catch is, the babies come with it :)

Quick note here to say St. Anne's parkrun will be celebrating its 3rd Birthday on 1st October. We'll be awarding prizes in our pre-run briefing, have assorted treats going on, and will be adjourning to the Red Stables afterwards for some goodies courtesy of Olive's Room Cafe. All welcome. 9:15am, 1st October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Korat wrote:
    It's the way some fans see the club these days. A Cup team with untouchable heroes and an acceptance of mediocrity.

I'm running the Simon fun run on the 1st October and looking to get some race experience prior to the event as it will be my first race, this seems like a good way to do it. What time would one usually arrive for the parkrun to be ready for the start?

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'm running the Simon fun run on the 1st October and looking to get some race experience prior to the event as it will be my first race, this seems like a good way to do it. What time would one usually arrive for the parkrun to be ready for the start?

Yes indeed it would be a good way to do it! Just make sure you have signed up online (www.parkrun.ie) and print off and bring your barcode. There is a pre-run briefing at 9:25, run starts at 9:30... If you're there ready to go by 9:25 all will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Great stuff, thanks. One more question, is there grading based on times for starts (casual, if you're doing it fast go to the front kind of stuff), or is there not enough numbers for that kind of thing?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Great stuff, thanks. One more question, is there grading based on times for starts (casual, if you're doing it fast go to the front kind of stuff), or is there not enough numbers for that kind of thing?

No, parkrun is a very simple concept. Everyone gets the same start time (but a unique finish time), so you would position yourself as appropriate. You'll get an idea on times etc from previous results. http://www.parkrun.ie/stannes/results/latestresults/

You can expect a well-organised event, but don't expect the bells and whistles and frills of a race :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Killerz: If I bring my own 'people's champion' award next week will you play along and present it to me!?:p Lost the top spot at the last hurdle :o .. Even a 'viewer's choice' award would do.. I think my Mum might have made a cake too early in advance haha..
    *Kidding of course. Looking forward to next week. Should we bring sweets and stuff??
    Alan here btw.

• Advertisement

Alicano wrote: »
    Killerz: If I bring my own 'people's champion' award next week will you play along and present it to me!?:p Lost the top spot at the last hurdle :o .. Even a 'viewer's choice' award would do.. I think my Mum might have made a cake too early in advance haha..
    *Kidding of course. Looking forward to next week. Should we bring sweets and stuff??
    Alan here btw.

Alan, if you need to feel special, even more special that you no doubt feel every time you participate in our wonderful event... we will be happy to accommodate your award and your sweets :)

Sweets can go a long way towards keeping us sweet...

Advertisement