Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Anne's parkrun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Did the run this morning. Many thanks to the organisers, it's a really good event.

Youre welcome Pawwed Rig. Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for registering too - with the information you provided on the online forms, i can now get that second identity i've been seeking for so long :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Now where is my tinfoil hat gone?

Ran this today for the first time myself, with fellow boardsie christeb overseeing RD duties. Lovely day for it, bit of a breeze but couldnt ask for any better conditions really.

I want to give a big shout out to all the volunteers, many of whom post on or read these forums, you have been key to the success of this event. You've taken on roles - in many cases for the first time - and performed them with ease and competence.

Hoping to see more and more boards folk come along and join us both as runners and volunteers in future weeks at St. Anne's.

Killerz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hoping to run this next Saturday if I don't have to work, heard it's a really fast course?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Hoping to run this next Saturday if I don't have to work, heard it's a really fast course?

I consider it to be pretty fast alright, best to road test it yourself and be the judge!

• Advertisement

Killerz wrote: »
    I consider it to be pretty fast alright, best to road test it yourself and be the judge!

Can't wait!

Great event today guys, really enjoyed it! Many thanks to all the volunteers and organisers for giving up their time. Was delighted with my "podium" place finish today, definitely a PB course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No PB for me but really enjoyed sort of giving it a lash after a few easy weeks. Flawless organisation as always :D

Edit: Just looking at the results there and discovered it's my first time ever to not get "chicked" (for want of a better term).:pac:

Thanks guys, great to have ye down there today, and appreciate the nice comments! We had our largest attendance (215) today since day one (233) and we're happy with how things are going thus far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

Registered! Hoping to do it Saturday coming, if not the following weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Ran this yesterday and was very impressed with the organisation, the course ( flat!) and the atmosphere in general. I had doubts prior to the run about the barcode scanning at the finish but it was flawless....really well done and we are lucky to have people giving up their time to make events like this happen ( every week too!!!) I had never actually done a 5k before but I'll be back for more in a few weeks

Looking for a couple of volunteers for tomorrow guys..... Please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Did this for the first time today. Brilliantly organised on an absolutely perfect morning for a run.

Well done to all the volunteers!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Did this for the first time today. Brilliantly organised on an absolutely perfect morning for a run.

Well done to all the volunteers!

Thanks yaboya1! Glad you enjoyed it - you're welcome back any time and every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Killwrz..Was dat u in d race series 5 mile ter shirt on friday runnim round clontarf...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Killwrz..Was dat u in d race series 5 mile ter shirt on friday runnim round clontarf...

I don't think so, I was running thru clontarf at around 720-730am alright on my way into work, but I was sporting different threads....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Great crowd this morning. 300+ people. Nice to see so many people running.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Great crowd this morning. 300+ people. Nice to see so many people running.

Thanks Pawwed Rig, it really was a special day out there today. We'll be putting up a whole raft of photos on the facebook page tomorrow - an opportunity to relive the day!

Another boards name added to the rostrum of first place finishers at St Anne's Parkrun today..... Take a bow drquirky.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Hi Jamie
    Finally got to run the St. Annes course on a freedom run this evening (26.28 ) it 's really nice , great feeling turning on to the Avenue ..cant wait to run it for real ...am absolutely spoilt in griffeen I can wake at 9.15 and be at the starting line warmed up at 9.30 :-) - except of course when I'm volunteering...:D - Also just remembered ...its the first time I ran in St. Annes park since Mr. Smyths P.E. Class's back in my St. Pauls days circa 1982 :-)

• Advertisement

Amigaman wrote: »
    Hi Jamie
    Finally got to run the St. Annes course on a freedom run this evening (26.28 ) it 's really nice , great feeling turning on to the Avenue ..cant wait to run it for real ...am absolutely spoilt in griffeen I can wake at 9.15 and be at the starting line warmed up at 9.30 :-) - except of course when I'm volunteering...:D - Also just remembered ...its the first time I ran in St. Annes park since Mr. Smyths P.E. Class's back in my St. Pauls days circa 1982 :-)

Glad you enjoyed the course, Amigaman. I understand the attraction of a local run, sure why would you want to travel when there's a great event like Griffeen on your doorstep. I plan on getting out to the other runs over the summer (I did them all last summer and volunteered at Griffeen!), hopefully will catch you at one of them.

What was it like running in st Anne's over 30 years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Another boards name added to the rostrum of first place finishers at St Anne's Parkrun today..... Take a bow drquirky.

Ah - now I know whose vaguely familiar face I spotted on the way out. Well done DrQ.

For those who have been following the Irish Times Get Running program, the graduation day for those runners who have been following the plan is this Saturday, 15th March at all parkruns across the country. For those planning to run St. Anne's this weekend, we'll have a pre-run warm-up kicking off from 9:15, and also have a 30 minute pacer for all those chasing that elusive 29:xx target for 5k. Warm-up and pacer open to all runners (not specific to Get Running program).

See you there - say hi - we have a few boardsies on the team!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I think the pacer idea is great. My partner is trying to break 30 as pb is 30.06

Malahide is our local park run but might try St Anne's soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

For those who have been following the Irish Times Get Running program, the graduation day for those runners who have been following the plan is this Saturday, 15th March at all parkruns across the country. For those planning to run St. Anne's this weekend, we'll have a pre-run warm-up kicking off from 9:15, and also have a 30 minute pacer for all those chasing that elusive 29:xx target for 5k. Warm-up and pacer open to all runners (not specific to Get Running program).

See you there - say hi - we have a few boardsies on the team!

Great idea for those who might be capable but I don't think many are for their first 5k race if only running for 8 weeks or so from scratch. I certainly wasn't and if I had followed a 30 min pacer in my first 5k race I would have had a horrible experience trying to keep up and it might have put me off running/racing for life. Instead I ran my own race and thoroughly enjoyed covering the distance for the first time.
    Intention is good I know but I'd be advising new runners with caution...

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great idea for those who might be capable but I don't think many are for their first 5k race if only running for 8 weeks or so from scratch. I certainly wasn't and if I had followed a 30 min pacer in my first 5k race I would have had a horrible experience trying to keep up and it might have put me off running/racing for life. Instead I ran my own race and thoroughly enjoyed covering the distance for the first time.
    Intention is good I know but I'd be advising new runners with caution...

Yep, fair point, and we would of course advise same , albeit the 30 min pacer is our own initiative and we've had pacers at our parkrun before. No-one felt compelled to follow them. We posted the 30 min thing on our FB page and got a great reaction amongst our regular runners. We are a free run, free pacer...the run is there, the pacer is there, the warmup is there if people want it. There's a broad variety of people (time-wise) running the parkruns so (in my experience) they're unlikely to feel pressurised to run with the pacer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Yep, fair point, and we would of course advise same , albeit the 30 min pacer is our own initiative and we've had pacers at our parkrun before. No-one felt compelled to follow them. We posted the 30 min thing on our FB page and got a great reaction amongst our regular runners. We are a free run, free pacer...the run is there, the pacer is there, the warmup is there if people want it. There's a broad variety of people (time-wise) running the parkruns so (in my experience) they're unlikely to feel pressurised to run with the pacer.

Fair enough.
    Didn't realise you had them before and it's a great idea for those who've done a few 5k races and are chasing a time. It's just with the complete newbies I'd be wary of speaking too loudly about the 30min target as, speaking from experience, I didn't have a notion what distance I was covering when I had finished the programme as I just ran for 30 mins on my last week. In reality I was only covering about 4k but might have followed a 30 min pacer at my first race and thought that was realistic as I didn't have a clue about the distance I had been covering in training.
    Definitely a great idea for those who have done it before and well done with the initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

A big group following a 30 min pacer could be a nightmare for the volunteer with the stopwatch and the volunteer handing out the finish tokens. I can see the finishing chute getting clogged up. Be a good idea to move the guys/gals with the scanners well away from the finish chute.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

npresto wrote: »
    A big group following a 30 min pacer could be a nightmare for the volunteer with the stopwatch and the volunteer handing out the finish tokens. I can see the finishing chute getting clogged up. Be a good idea to move the guys/gals with the scanners well away from the finish chute.

I'm actually on token duty tomorrow. I doubt we'll get a huge 30min group. Just in case though, I'll get a bit of practice in tonight with a few packs of cards:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

65 new registrations for St. Annes this week - well done ...so it will be a busy day...Malahide has 6 more then that ...but Marley takes the biscuit - 167 new registrations this week - most of any of the 320 odd parkruns in the world

Advertisement