Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bit of a big thread to read through so I hope its OK to ask here but I was wondering does this box give you access to Irish and UK free to air channels like BBC, RTE etc....? Even using a service like AerTV? Is that possible with this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Bit of a big thread to read through so I hope its OK to ask here but I was wondering does this box give you access to Irish and UK free to air channels like BBC, RTE etc....? Even using a service like AerTV? Is that possible with this box?

No this box will not give you access to these, BBC Iplayer will work through VPN and you have 4OD which will work without.

For £10 the box is well worth it for PLEX alone.

No this box will not give you access to these, BBC Iplayer will work through VPN and you have 4OD which will work without.

For £10 the box is well worth it for PLEX alone.

Thanks, I already have Plex on my Smart TV but I'm in a location where I can't get the Irish channels through Saorview, only through UPC or Sky and as such I am looking for an alternative (cheaper solution).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Larry_N

Thanks, I already have Plex on my Smart TV but I'm in a location where I can't get the Irish channels through Saorview, only through UPC or Sky and as such I am looking for an alternative (cheaper solution).

Have you tried Saorsat?

https://www.saorview.ie/about-saorview/saorsat/

Larry_N wrote: »

Sorry, I should have been clearer, live in rented accommodation without an aerial, with an aerial I'd get the channels but don't want the hassle of paying for an aerial installation and then removing it when moving out so looking for an Internet based solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Thegarlad

Might have been mentioned before but currys in the UK are selling this box for £24.99 which includes a three month pass to Sky Movies

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio/digital-media-players/digital-media-players/now-tv-hd-smart-tv-box-movie-bundle-21749675-pdt.html

They are doing free delivery so with Parcel Motel it could work out around €33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Sorry, I should have been clearer, live in rented accommodation without an aerial, with an aerial I'd get the channels but don't want the hassle of paying for an aerial installation and then removing it when moving out so looking for an Internet based solution.

Have you tried an amplified indoor aerial? They can be gotten fairly cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

If you've no cap on usage, the free version of this (can stutter a bit):

https://secure.aertv.ie/register/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Quidco have some cashback offers for new and existing customers buying the sky packages
    £7 back on a month entertainment pack
    £10 back on a month movie pack sign up.

In the T&C it says cashback applies to new and existing customers
    http://www.quidco.com/now-tv/

Better than nothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

What happened to USTV? My app disapeared from the Roku channel, was great for the weekend American Football, and the odd premiership match?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Have you tried an amplified indoor aerial? They can be gotten fairly cheaply

Do the amplified aerials actually improve reception? I thought they were a bit of snake oil.

beauf wrote: »
    Do the amplified aerials actually improve reception? I thought they were a bit of snake oil.

Yeah they definitely boost the signal. I had one before in my terraced house and worked perfectly

What happened to USTV? My app disapeared from the Roku channel, was great for the weekend American Football, and the odd premiership match?

I haven't signed up for USTV but afaik you only get 45 days access for devices external to a laptop or desktop pc. roku box access only for 45 days for the free trial. that might explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Just collected mine from Parcel Motel today. Very happy with it, handy to have 4OD on TV without having to connect my laptop!

Question though... any way of getting Netflix on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

blue-army wrote: »
    Just collected mine from Parcel Motel today. Very happy with it, handy to have 4OD on TV without having to connect my laptop!

Fairly sure there isn't. I think there was an attempt at getting it working via Plex but wasn't overly successful I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

no chance. from what I have read about them, they are very secure at keeping apps that may interfere with Sky Movie sales locked out.

Anyone else here having problems with the playto app since updating to android 4.4? Mine won't play files stored on my phone anymore. I get a "error navigating to the directory". I realise this is more on an android problem but i thought this thread is probably has more of a relevant audience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

just got mine. must say it is epic! not to mention you can use any android phone as a remote! fantastic piece of kit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think I just made a mistake on my order. Did anyone's address format like below and still get their box ?

Parcel Motel
    PM****** 1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT364PE

I dont see anything wrong with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

I think I just made a mistake on my order. Did anyone's address format like below and still get their box ?

Parcel Motel
    PM****** 1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT364PE

Once your PM ID is there it should get to you. It won't do you any harm to email Parcel Motel in a day or two and put them on notice to expect it. From order to locker delivery for the NowTV box it normally takes a week anyhow. The Royal Mail track trace number should tell you when it is signed for in Belfast - and give you extra corroboration if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Anyone else here having problems with the playto app since updating to android 4.4? Mine won't play files stored on my phone anymore. I get a "error navigating to the directory". I realise this is more on an android problem but i thought this thread is probably has more of a relevant audience
    Yep, same here, I get that error or directory is empty error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 james987

Anyone have any issues with the sky store app?
    Tried watching a movie last night and the level of buffering made it completely unwatchable. It seemed to just affect the sky store as now tv's sky movies/entertainment and other apps worked perfectly. Hope its better tonight as you only get 48hours to watch and it must be on the roku box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

james987 wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues with the sky store app?
    Tried watching a movie last night and the level of buffering made it completely unwatchable. It seemed to just affect the sky store as now tv's sky movies/entertainment and other apps worked perfectly. Hope its better tonight as you only get 48hours to watch and it must be on the roku box.

What speed is your connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 james987

paddyp wrote: »
    What speed is your connection?

50Mbps download/5Mbps upload. Did a speed check at the time and was getting very close to that. Seems fine now. Didn't affect anything but Sky Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Anyone having issues with 4oD?

It plays the ads then it says "The content is unavailable"

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with 4oD?

It plays the ads then it says "The content is unavailable"

Had the same issues.

4od app is very bad on Android and doesn't seem to be much better on Roku. They really need to hire someone who can actually program these apps.

Anyways, the 4od app on Roku worked yesterday for me without issues but it's a bit like the one on Android, sometimes it works well, sometimes it works a little and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    just got mine. must say it is epic! not to mention you can use any android phone as a remote! fantastic piece of kit!!!

what app do you use? Can't find anything in the play store!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Look for a Roku remote in the play store

• Advertisement

plex remote

Advertisement