Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a team for the first 3 GWs

Options
  • 25-07-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭

With the news of the chelsea DGW I'm sure a fair few people are considering picking a team for the first few weeks and then wildcarding at the international break. I'm almost certain I'll be doing this now my initial thoughts are to go with 3 chelsea players and no villa players. With Hazard the obvious captain choice he will be in most teams and is making it very awkward for those of us that want rvp and bale. The obvious option is to go without RVP and get him in with your wildcard. My problem with this is that as things stand I feel there are issues with all the other top strikers and I dont want to gamble on a bunch of new strikers.
    I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable and going without Bale for GW1 to accomodate Hazard and then transfer hazard out for bale for gw 2. Had a very quick look at a squad for those 3 weeks
    Cech Boruc

Toure Coleman M Turner Chester(hull) Turner(cardiff)

Walcott hazard ramires(chelsea) Koren Thomas(palace)

rvp negredo anelka
    this leaves me with 2.5 in the bank.
    Id play 343 captain hazard GW1. Then transfer hazard out for bale with my spare 2.5 for gw 2 and captain bale . Then for gw 3 id transfer ramires out for a 6.5 mid with a good fixture and captain negredo if it looks like he will be starting.

The alternative is to leave walcott out for gw 1 and have bale in my team. I just feel walcott is as likely to score big as Bale .
    Is anyone else planning on wildcarding early would like to hear their opinions and see some teams for the first 3 weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I'm not sure how comfortable I am in setting myself up for using the wildcard after GW 3. I more than likely will as I have done so in the past but it could be beneficial in getting yourself out of a hole a month or so further down the line. I'll have to rack the brains over it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

With the news of the chelsea DGW I'm sure a fair few people are considering picking a team for the first few weeks and then wildcarding at the international break. I'm almost certain I'll be doing this now my initial thoughts are to go with 3 chelsea players and no villa players. With Hazard the obvious captain choice he will be in most teams and is making it very awkward for those of us that want rvp and bale. The obvious option is to go without RVP and get him in with your wildcard. My problem with this is that as things stand I feel there are issues with all the other top strikers and I dont want to gamble on a bunch of new strikers.
    I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable and going without Bale for GW1 to accomodate Hazard and then transfer hazard out for bale for gw 2. Had a very quick look at a squad for those 3 weeks
    Cech Boruc

Toure Coleman M Turner Chester(hull) Turner(cardiff)

Walcott hazard ramires(chelsea) Koren Thomas(palace)

rvp negredo anelka
    this leaves me with 2.5 in the bank.
    Id play 343 captain hazard GW1. Then transfer hazard out for bale with my spare 2.5 for gw 2 and captain bale . Then for gw 3 id transfer ramires out for a 6.5 mid with a good fixture and captain negredo if it looks like he will be starting.

The alternative is to leave walcott out for gw 1 and have bale in my team. I just feel walcott is as likely to score big as Bale .
    Is anyone else planning on wildcarding early would like to hear their opinions and see some teams for the first 3 weeks.

Do you think Walcott will definitely outscore Bale? If not, why don't you just put Bale in from the start. You're starting the season with a transfer you know you want to make right away. What if someone important gets injured/banned, and you have to make another transfer, or go without Bale.

I would just start with Bale.

But I'm just nitpicking! You have a good team.

As it stands I'm just going to go with the 2 Chelsea players: Hazard and Terry. Considering Benteke or Weimann, but very undecided on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

I don't really see the logic in doing something like this. Obviously after 3 weeks you should outscore most people but it seems incredibly early to use your wildcard. Either you will end up needing the wildcard at some stage and this will cost you points or else you won't end up needing it in which case there will be plenty more DGWs in which to use it towards the end of the season. Seems unnecessarily risky to play the wildcard this early imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Do you think Walcott will definitely outscore Bale? If not, why don't you just put Bale in from the start. You're starting the season with a transfer you know you want to make right away. What if someone important gets injured/banned, and you have to make another transfer, or go without Bale.

I would just start with Bale.

But I'm just nitpicking! You have a good team.

As it stands I'm just going to go with the 2 Chelsea players: Hazard and Terry. Considering Benteke or Weimann, but very undecided on that one.

everyone starting with 3 chelsea players for the dgw is committing at least 1 or 2 transfers to getting rid of a chelsea player by gw 3, so by commiting to bringing bale in for transfer it covers the getting rid of a chelsea player transfer anyway.

I might go down this route myself, i was happy with the team i had but this dgw has kind of messed things up a bit on me, i'd certainly have no problem in using the wildcard during the international break, there is a lot of casual players still playing then who make a lot of transfers and there's good money to be gained, i did this last year and the extra money set me up nicely for the year.
    Unsure though if i want to committ to having to use it, last year my team needed fixing so i used it. things should become clearer over the next couple of weeks, if schurrle or lampard is playing i'd put one in for mirallas and then kone in for rvw and be much happier with my current team, jose said that lampard is joining up with the team monday.

(when i say there's money to be gained, i mean by using fiso, bring in the form players who should rise .2, it's a 2 week break, sell them then before the gw finishes and you've made .1 on them, unless you actually want to keep them)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I am considering something similar. Normally I WC during the International break in September, which has a number of advantages:
    - Transfer window has closed so we know who is playing where
    - We have had 3 weeks to see who is starting/is a sub/is being subbed off
    - It's a good opportunity to increase team value

Admittedly, the pressure is on to get it 'right' as you are stuck with one transfer a week until January (I'm not a fan of hits - normally take 2-3 a season max)

I don't buy the argument of keeping the WC for a double GW as this would be using it for a double GW! It's being used to clean up afterwards rather than set up the team beforehand but the WC is still being used to take advantage of team(s) playing twice.

Last season I had 8 players for each of the two DGWs and it cost me 4 points - it just takes a bit of forward planning.

As for the 15 for the first 3 GWs - Cech and Hazard are definites for me. I will pick another Chelsea player once I have a better idea who will play up front but I'm not opposed to picking a defender. With Mourinho, they won't concede many. I won't be touching any Villa players.

I was always leaning towards Bale over RVP for the first 3 weeks and this cements it. They have reasonably similar starts but the extra £2m will come in handy to upgrade to Cech/Terry/Lukaku or whoever.

I plan to look at it in more detail later but thats my initial thought on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Wildcard GW3 is way too early for me. There is not enough data on form players, rotations etc.

I am thinking Cech, Luiz, Hazard.

Then GW2 Cech>Hart
    Then GW3 Hazard or Luiz to a Man city player who has 180 mins from first two games (Silva,Navas,Toure/Kompany,Zab,Clichy. Whoever has 'shown' in first two games, preferably one of the midfielders who has hit the ground running I never really mind having one-off cheapo sub defenders come in as CS so unpredictable)

Chelsea are away to Everton GW4 which isn't too nice

Also, I am not sure of the love for Terry. Like Lampard is he not now a bit part player? I like Luiz a lot more!

If any other player on my team gets injured I will just ride it out with a cheap sub...not the end of the world

GW6 stands out for WC, coinciding with Man Utd good run, and at this point we should know roughly the lay of the land with team selections, stats and form players. The fact that there are so many new managers this year is also at the back of my head...

It's a marathon not a sprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

How will Chelsea line up at the back.
    Was thinking of picking Terry but he surely won't play both games. Would Cahill be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Thanks lads for the replies.
    Benimar and hogey have saved me a lot of typing by explaining the benefits of wildcarding in GW4. Its something I do every year but was thinking of holding onto it this year the DGW is forcing my hand to play it though.
    Moreau I feel at that stage you know the 4.0 defs and 4.5 mids that are going to start plus the transfer window is closed so there can be no new additions. I also think if your transferring chelsea players out cech is the least urgent one, if you have a second gk that plays.
    Onecoldhand I want both bale and walcott for GW2 so ive to decide which one to pair with hazard for GW1. I get what your saying that its not ideal to have to make a certain transfer in gw 2 everyone else will have till gw 3 to get their chelsea players out , whereas I have to make my hazard to bale/walcott move in week 2.
    Benimar or anyone else thats going without rvp and planning to wildcard in gw4. Id like to see your plans as its something I'll consider as I can then start with bale, walcott, hazard and not have my gw2 transfer forced on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Tonev could prove excellent value this season as good as anyone for an early punt! Last season I believe 3 of the top 5 wildcarded in GW2 goes to show its not as bad an idea as it seems and your man who won even planned to use it GW2 before the season started! Seems mad to me I managed to hold off until the double later on and destroyed my team in the process so might well use it early just to get the dam thing out the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

I think early use of WC is generally best, a good start is so important in this game, the two seasons I've finished highly have been set in place with a really good start, fall behind early on and it's catch up all season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

jimmii wrote: »
    Tonev could prove excellent value this season as good as anyone for an early punt! Last season I believe 3 of the top 5 wildcarded in GW2 goes to show its not as bad an idea as it seems and your man who won even planned to use it GW2 before the season started! Seems mad to me I managed to hold off until the double later on and destroyed my team in the process so might well use it early just to get the dam thing out the way!!

The mess up a couple of years ago that gave everybody a free wildcard after the first week made all the difference to my team that year. Used it early last year as well and cracked the top 5k for the first time.

Was already planning on using early again this year but this DGW makes that decision easy.

After 2 weeks you'll already get an impression of how teams lineup, what new signings will be first choice, what promoted teams look promising etc.

Wildcarding early allows you to take advantage of prices rises and overall to have a better team than you manage for GW1. In my opinion of course! :)

The only merit of the early wildcard if everything's in relatively good working order is to build your finances. So because everyone else does it you have to do it yourself so as to not fall behind. Bloody economics :pac:

One option if wildcarding after week 3 could be:

Week 1:
    Cech (Boruc)
    Toure, Coleman, M. Turner, (Collins) (Clyne or similar)
    Bale, Walcott, Hazard, Snodgrass (Thomas)
    Negredo, Lukaku, Rodriguez

In Week 2, transfer in Miralles for Hazard. Play Boruc ahead of Cech.

In Week 3 transfer in a one week forward 'punt' for Lukaku - everyone can be afforded except RVP, Aguero and Rooney. Play Collins instead of Toure.

The captains would be Hazard (Wk1), Bale (Wk2) and Negredo (Wk3).

Clyne could also be downgraded to a 4.0 player to free up 0.5 to allow for price increases.

It's only a first draft so feel free to tear it apart!!

I'm heading travelling for 3 months between GW4 and GW5. I'm just thinking now that my best strategy now might be to just wildcard after GW3, so I can leave my team in the best possible shape, and exploit the DGW.

Might be keeping a close eye on this thread.

I'm heading travelling for 3 months between GW4 and GW5. I'm just thinking now that my best strategy now might be to just wildcard after GW3, so I can leave my team in the best possible shape, and exploit the DGW.

Might be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Travelling and FPL don't really work out too well as I found last year. Dropped 100,000 places in 8 Gws with my Jan wildcard being used on the last possible day available. But I had only about 10 minutes every second week to keep an eye on things. I made 4 transfers in those 8 weeks. Rafael who ended up being rotated alot, Lambert who stopped scoring, somebody else (maybe Giroud) and Ashley Young before the Manc derby where he got injured, my secret weapon I thought :eek:

Enjoy the travels :pac:

Travelling and FPL don't really work out too well as I found last year. Dropped 100,000 places in 8 Gws with my Jan wildcard being used on the last possible day available. But I had only about 10 minutes every second week to keep an eye on things. I made 4 transfers in those 8 weeks. Rafael who ended up being rotated alot, Lambert who stopped scoring, somebody else (maybe Giroud) and Ashley Young before the Manc derby where he got injured, my secret weapon I thought :eek:

Enjoy the travels :pac:

Yeah I'm pretty sure my strategy will be to try and check in every second week, then I can just make 2 transfers at a time.

I'm sure my team will be in rag-order when I get back, but by then it will only be a could of weeks until the Jan WC.

Currently tinkering with taking an all out GW1 punt and going with 3 Chelsea and 3 Villa. Will almost certainly end in disaster if I try it....

Benimar wrote: »
    One option if wildcarding after week 3 could be:

Week 1:
    Cech (Boruc)
    Toure, Coleman, M. Turner, (Collins) (Clyne or similar)
    Bale, Walcott, Hazard, Snodgrass (Thomas)
    Negredo, Lukaku, Rodriguez

In Week 2, transfer in Miralles for Hazard. Play Boruc ahead of Cech.

In Week 3 transfer in a one week forward 'punt' for Lukaku - everyone can be afforded except RVP, Aguero and Rooney. Play Collins instead of Toure.

The captains would be Hazard (Wk1), Bale (Wk2) and Negredo (Wk3).

Clyne could also be downgraded to a 4.0 player to free up 0.5 to allow for price increases.

It's only a first draft so feel free to tear it apart!!
    Your GKs and Defs are more or less what I plan to go with. Toure, coleman and turner all have good fixtures in the first 3 bar toure playing utd in gw 3.
    Captain choices as things stand look the obvious options. Hazard more likely to play gw2 at utd than lukaku so probably best to get rid of lukaku wk 2 and hazard wk3. With norwich now having rvw and hooper, snodgrass may play in a deeper role.

Your GKs and Defs are more or less what I plan to go with. Toure, coleman and turner all have good fixtures in the first 3 bar toure playing utd in gw 3.
    Captain choices as things stand look the obvious options. Hazard more likely to play gw2 at utd than lukaku so probably best to get rid of lukaku wk 2 and hazard wk3. With norwich now having rvw and hooper, snodgrass may play in a deeper role.

I was thinking the same, but I'm now leaning towards a reshuffle, bringing in a Chelsea defender and going without Lukaku. I have a feeling Lukaku will only start one of the two DGW games and in week 2 he is at Man Utd.

The problem is, there aren't really any standout strikers for the first 3 GWs. RVP is overpriced for games against Chelsea and Liverpool, Aguero might play off the main striker, Suarez is suspended and Rooney is, well who knows! After that we are into the likes of Negredo, Sturridge (who may not be fit) Benteke (at Arsenal and Chelsea) and Torres :eek:

I was thinking the same, but I'm now leaning towards a reshuffle, bringing in a Chelsea defender and going without Lukaku. I have a feeling Lukaku will only start one of the two DGW games and in week 2 he is at Man Utd.

The problem is, there aren't really any standout strikers for the first 3 GWs. RVP is overpriced for games against Chelsea and Liverpool, Aguero might play off the main striker, Suarez is suspended and Rooney is, well who knows! After that we are into the likes of Negredo, Sturridge (who may not be fit) Benteke (at Arsenal and Chelsea) and Torres :eek:

I agree that rvp is overpriced for the first 3 games but I cant see one other striker bar him that I can trust at this stage. Im now thinking of just going with two chelsea players Cech and Hazard. I'll keep cech till my wildcard GW4 and maybe for the season ( I reckon chelsea will keep the most clean sheets in the league this year) Hazard I will offload in GW 2. By having 3 chelsea players you are going to lose a bit of team value more than likely, and the most important thing with a dgw is to have the right captain.

Still think I'm going to aim to wildcard after gw 3 what I'm thinking at the moment
    Cech
    Coleman Toure M Turner
    Walcott hazard ramires mirallas
    RVP dzeko Aspas

subs Boruc collins brayford Thomas

GW2 transfer hazard out to protect team value ( cech and ramires far less likely to drop)
    GW3 I'll see how aspas and dzeko are performing and may ship out one of them if they are doing the business I'll get rid of ramires.

Cech nailed on to start the two games and should get atleast 1 CS
    Boruc I'll play him GW2 & 3
    Coleman toure and turner are pretty much in everyones teams no explanation needed. Although I'm debating going without coleman as I feel Collins ( cardiff H new A Stoke H) may get more points for me.
    Walcott probably the first name in my team very consistent and a great price.
    Hazard the obvious GW1 captain choice.
    Ramires should play the two games and he can get goals/ assists so I could get lucky. Aiming for 6 pts off him. Another reason im picking him is because of his low ownership he shouldn't drop much in price.
    Mirallas is priced well and is in good form
    RVP with 12 days to go. Im still not convinced by any other strikers so I'm going to stick with the most reliable player in the game.
    Aspas with sturridge yet to appear in pre season this lad will start the season and has looked decent.
    Dzeko still unsure on this one as I dont think he will be first choice for long but it may suit my strategy of wildcarding after GW 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Giroud is standout for me as things stand

I agree re Lukaku

Anyone recommend any players they think are worth a punt for the first 3 Gws as I'll wildcard after that. Some I'm looking at are
    Rat and nolan west ham play cardiff H newcastle A Stoke H
    Anelka Wba play sou H everton A Stoke H
    Sissoko bench him against city gw 1 and play him for Wham H fulham H

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Anyone recommend any players they think are worth a punt for the first 3 Gws as I'll wildcard after that. Some I'm looking at are
    Rat and nolan west ham play cardiff H newcastle A Stoke H
    Anelka Wba play sou H everton A Stoke H
    Sissoko bench him against city gw 1 and play him for Wham H fulham H

I'd go with Nolan, has 22 goals in his last two premiership seasons and should be good up until gw7 - gets harder with Spurs and City then.
    Rat - I don't know about his attacking prowess but he seems to be a decent defender.

Going with this at the moment. All comments appreciated:

GKs:
    Cech - for DGW
    Boruc - for GW2 & 3

DEFs:
    Lescott - City have good fixtures to start and with Nastasic out Lescott will start. He also has the odd goal in him.
    Toure - Looks a definite starter for a team who will keep clean sheets. Will probably bench in GW3
    Coleman - Everton have good opening fixtures and Coleman should be a good attacking threat. Playing for a Martinez team is a worry for CS potential though.
    Brayford - 4.0 placeholder who will start. Will only be used in an absolute emergency.
    M. Turner - no comment necessary :D

MIDs:
    Coutinho - Liverpools creative force for their good opening fixtures.
    Hazard - GW1 captain and a possible season keeper.
    Walcott - a great FF player who constantly delivers when fit.
    Miralles - 7.5m midfielder likely to play as part of a front 3. Good opening fixtures.
    Kim - Guaranteed starter who offers so attacking threat. Will only be used in an emergency.

FORs:
    Soldado - Good fixtures, guaranteed starter, goalscorer.
    Benteke - Going with him over Lukaku for the DGW. Guaranteed to play 270 minutes over the frist 2 GWs barring injury and can score against anyone.
    Rodriguez- Good opening fixtures and I just have a feeling about him...a punt so to speak.

Hazard and Benteke can be moved out by GW3 with my free transfers.

Going with this at the moment. All comments appreciated:

GKs:
    Cech - for DGW
    Boruc - for GW2 & 3

DEFs:
    Lescott - City have good fixtures to start and with Nastasic out Lescott will start. He also has the odd goal in him.
    Toure - Looks a definite starter for a team who will keep clean sheets. Will probably bench in GW3
    Coleman - Everton have good opening fixtures and Coleman should be a good attacking threat. Playing for a Martinez team is a worry for CS potential though.
    Brayford - 4.0 placeholder who will start. Will only be used in an absolute emergency.
    M. Turner - no comment necessary :D

MIDs:
    Coutinho - Liverpools creative force for their good opening fixtures.
    Hazard - GW1 captain and a possible season keeper.
    Walcott - a great FF player who constantly delivers when fit.
    Miralles - 7.5m midfielder likely to play as part of a front 3. Good opening fixtures.
    Kim - Guaranteed starter who offers so attacking threat. Will only be used in an emergency.

FORs:
    Soldado - Good fixtures, guaranteed starter, goalscorer.
    Benteke - Going with him over Lukaku for the DGW. Guaranteed to play 270 minutes over the frist 2 GWs barring injury and can score against anyone.
    Rodriguez- Good opening fixtures and I just have a feeling about him...a punt so to speak.

Hazard and Benteke can be moved out by GW3 with my free transfers.

nice team Im aiming for something similar main difference is negredo and anelka over benteke and rodriguez. Im a bit undecided on the cech boruc combo as going by preseason boruc doesnt seem to be nailed on. The only other issue I can see is the lack of west ham coverage due to fixtures which I'm having myself with my own team.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can I ask a genuine question .....do people really think Liverpool have very good opening fixtures attacking wise ?
    Stoke at home under mark Hughes . Not sure.
    Villa away .....not sure.
    United at home!
    I'm always very wary of trusting Liverpool players especially Daniel" doubtful" Sturridge. Coutinho is also pretty expensive ?
    All summer I had myself convinced but now I'm not so sure. Comparing city's fixtures .......
    I hate this game AAAGGGHHH

km79 wrote: »
    Can I ask a genuine question .....do people really think Liverpool have very good opening fixtures attacking wise ?
    Stoke at home under mark Hughes . Not sure.
    Villa away .....not sure.
    United at home!
    I'm always very wary of trusting Liverpool players especially Daniel" doubtful" Sturridge. Coutinho is also pretty expensive ?
    All summer I had myself convinced but now I'm not so sure. Comparing city's fixtures .......
    I hate this game AAAGGGHHH

you have a point IMO. The advantage coutinho has over city players is that he is nailed on to start. Its early days in his liverpool career but he looks a really special player.

nice team Im aiming for something similar main difference is negredo and anelka over benteke and rodriguez. Im a bit undecided on the cech boruc combo as going by preseason boruc doesnt seem to be nailed on. The only other issue I can see is the lack of west ham coverage due to fixtures which I'm having myself with my own team.

Agreed, but it's hard to see how to get a West Ham player in. Defensively, Collins is 4.5 whilst Reid and Rat are 5.0 which would mean removing one of Lescott, Toure, Coleman or Turner (:eek:).

In midfield the only option would be Nolan so Miralles would have to go for him, which I'm not keen on.

Can't have all the bases covered I suppose.

I think I'll settle on this once no injuries tonight.
    Mignolet(davis)
    Terry zabaleta rat ( m turner ward)
    walcott hazard ( c) ramires coutinho (whittingham)
    anelka negredo soldado.

For Gw 2 I have kept back a million to transfer ramires to mirallas. Im basically backing ramires to outscore mirallas due to having easier fixture and potentially playing double the minutes.
    For Gw 3 ill play turner and transfer hazard to silva or navas bench terry and play turner.
    Gw 4 wildcard RVP in. The other 14 spots are up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think I'll settle on this once no injuries tonight.
    Mignolet(davis)
    Terry zabaleta rat ( m turner ward)
    walcott hazard ( c) ramires coutinho (whittingham)
    anelka negredo soldado.

For Gw 2 I have kept back a million to transfer ramires to mirallas. Im basically backing ramires to outscore mirallas due to having easier fixture and potentially playing double the minutes.
    For Gw 3 ill play turner and transfer hazard to silva or navas bench terry and play turner.
    Gw 4 wildcard RVP in other 14 spots up for grabs.
    Is there a danger of RVP creeping over the 14 ml mark ?

Advertisement