Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Belfast Meet-Up? Sep.

Options
  • 25-07-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just putting out a quick message to see if there would be anyone interested in having a LGBT-Boards meet-up for drinks in Belfast City around early September some Friday or Saturday night.
    It seems like there is alot of people feeling Isolated, Scared, Lonely, negative etc.
    So what i was thinking is why not all meet up and share each others pain. ;)

Ok that doesn't sound like a lot of fun, But who knows it might just help and i’m sure if people in the same situation get together to share their stories then it could make for an interesting fun night. People who are feeling great within themselves, you too are also invited as we may need a little extra sunshine.

The majority of meet-ups happen in Dublin - which is a bit out of the way for myself and PaddyC and maybe a few others. This way it could help create a small base of users up North plus it’s only a 2hr bus ride from Dublin. I’m not expecting a big turn out for this, but it would be great to get about 5 -10 people together (i’m not sure of the usual turnouts) One other thing is location - i was thinking maybe The Apartment Bar, as it’s easy to find and right in the centre of town, but someone else can recommend another bar, but keep it central and then we can move on later into the night to somewhere else if that suits.

If your interested just note the weekend that suits you

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

September would suit me, and I'll probably be free most weekends then. I'm sure there are some other users who aren't that close to Dublin who may be close enough to Belfast who would like a meet up that's handier for them to get to. Even those that live further afield are more than welcome to join and they can make a weekend out of it if they want.

I'm not that clued up on Belfast to know the good spots for drinks, but I'm sure that after a while people may want to move on to Kremlin or Union Street which is only a 5 minute walk out of the city centre anyway so that is an option for those who don't want to stay in a pub atmosphere and want to throw some shapes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Belfast is a cool city. Having been up there for Pride this year I'd be up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sounds like a good idea

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

Would this meet-up be student only/age limit like the Dublin ones or is it for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Hi Mack D. No restriction’s at all. The aim is to come and have fun and hopefully leave with a few new friends etc.

• Advertisement

No age restriction, absolutely everyone is welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

mackD wrote: »
    Would this meet-up be student only/age limit like the Dublin ones or is it for everyone?

mackD I think you need to stop thinking about it and just go to one be it Dublin or Belfast!

Also mackD, I think you said in another thread you're 28. I'm 28, so if you're thinking you're too old to go, then I'm in the same boat as you!

We can sit in the oldies corner in our rocking chairs and let the 17 year olds have all the fun, whilst we sit and give them disapproving looks and complain about their behaviour. :D

Paddy C wrote: »
    Also mackD, I think you said in another thread you're 28. I'm 28, so if you're thinking you're too old to go, then I'm in the same boat as you!

We can sit in the oldies corner in our rocking chairs and let the 17 year olds have all the fun, whilst we sit and give them disapproving looks and complain about their behaviour. :D

I'll probably join you in that corner ;-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The more the merrier, but if you do, you're buying the first round! (oh, and bring some Werther's Originals too) ;)

• Advertisement

Paddy C wrote: »
    The more the merrier, but if you do, you're buying the first round! (oh, and bring some Werther's Originals too) ;)

Do you want pipe and slippers too?

Terry Pratchet

ack, sure why not, seeing as you offered! will you put the slippers on for me, the arthritis stops me from getting down to me feet these days, it's a nightmare trying to tie me laces!

Just wondering when we can start counting numbers for this? (I might need to book a hotel/ b&b). Will it be ok to bump this once a week to remind everyone?
    I wont be able to do the 20th Sep.
    Mango Salsa and Paddy C how many stools can we fit into this corner? 31 y/o here.

Paddy C do you want me to bring a shoe stool and a pair of velcro dancing shoes for you?, so you'll have no excess to get on the floor. Mango Salsa I'll bring a bag of coal that we can put onto the fire and then you two old timers can dawn on some lounge gowns while you talk about the past and smoke from your pipes. (While i'm at it, i might check out the details of local Belfast Bingo Hall's and see if they have a big Snowball going on that weekend when we're in town) ;)

If it's getting quiet, i'll just stand outside for a smoke and then say to a bouncer. "Strange how people treat bars like there're in their living rooms these days" - cue rolled eyes
    Bouncer - What are you on about!
    Jesus, Just look in the window you'd swear they were acting out a peat briquettes advert, next they'll be passing each other Werther's Originals.
    And Boom you'll be out on your ear, with an odd number of slippers being tossed into the air.

Then it's onto the next stop. ;)

Shoe stool and velcros?

Too far, lad... too far.

Pick a date maybe? 7th/14th would suit me.

Belfast is a nice city and it will be a nice change from the regular gay bars here.

I don't think I have anything on in September (yet!) so any weekend would suit me, but preferably on a Saturday night as I'd be getting out of work late on Friday and don't want to have to rush to get everything ready to race up the road!

Ok let's say the 7th of Sep. Does that date suit everyone that's interested?

Suits me for now, yeah. Who else is going then?

1) akaspike
    2) Paddy C

Any more for any more?

I'll go to this:)
    Haven't been in Belfast before so sounds like it could be fun

Maybe

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Yep should be able to!

So, we have

1) akaspike
    2) Paddy C
    3) mackD
    4) Daith
    5) Mango Salsa (possibly)

We would need to decide on a starting venue too, preferably somewhere that isn't going to be too busy so everyone can sit together and chat for a while and get to know each other before the place gets too wild and loud. Then afterwards we can move on somewhere else and then probably on to Union Street and Kremlin as we approach the small hours so people can have a boogie or whatever.

Sounds good! I don't think I've ever been to a non-gay bar in Belfast so I'm lost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MintyBear

I live in Belfast but I'm moving down to Dublin in September. It would be good to meet some folk who know Dublin before I make the move! I'm 24 so not sure if I'm in the corner or not! Lol :-)

MintyBear wrote: »
    I live in Belfast but I'm moving down to Dublin in September. It would be good to meet some folk who know Dublin before I make the move! I'm 24 so not sure if I'm in the corner or not! Lol :-)

I wouldn't worry too much about who's in the corner :P

Daith wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about who's in the corner :P

How about everyone goes in the corner :D

Terry Pratchet

Nobody puts Baby in the corner!

Actually, everyone in the corner sounds interesting, but we'd probably get a lot of stares!

Seriously, don't worry about us ones in the corner, silently judging you for being younger...! :D

Any of the monthly meet regulars want to go?

Terry Pratchet

Do they accept euro in Belfast?
    Although even if they do, probably better in the long run to transfer to sterling I guess

• Advertisement

Maybe in some of the shops, but i wouldn't expect them to do it in the bars. Probably just as handy to use a bank card if you have one to withdraw your money.

Advertisement