Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Options
  • 24-07-2013 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

I hope the regulars and the mods don't mind this little sign off from me. I have decided to close my account on Boards.ie. In the past few months a number of high profile posters have left Boards.ie and left a lot of speculation as to why. My ego got the better of me and thought I would post a brief summary of why I'm leaving just in case anyone was curious and maybe thought I had run off to join Phil and PDN on a fundamentalist Christian commune some where :p

As some of you may know I have had a spate of bad health over the last year and a half. I suffer from Crohn's disease and had a serious flare up in Jan 2012 that lead to most of last year and this year been taken up with stays in hospital.

Thankfully most of that seems sorted out now, so I am starting the process of rebuilding my life and putting things back together.

The Internet is a wonderful distraction when you are spending weeks at a time in a hospital ward, but less so when you emerge out the other side. After the Internet basically been my home for the last year since I have gotten better I still have found myself spending far too much time online, particularly on discussion forums like this one. I'm not sure I would go as far as to say it is an addiction, more of a distracting distraction. The clincher came for me when I realized I had spent the last few nights up till 3am posting on the Internet. That is not healthy, particular when recovering from illness.

While I would love to say that I could simply give it a break for a bit and then return, I'm a sort of all or nothing guy. The idea of simply closing my account holds more appeal to me than fighting the temptation to pop in every once and a while just to see what is happen, because that always leads to me reading something that I then feel compelled to answer. Heck maybe this is a bit of an addiction :p

I would like to clarify that it is nothing to do with any topic or discussion I've had on Boards.ie. I'm sorry but the Christians won't be able to speculate that I eventually found God :pac:

Thanks so much for many interesting discussions/debates/arguments. You may be just usernames and avatars and I don't know any of you in the real world but during the long days in hospital you guys on sites like Boards.ie made me feel I was still connected and involved in the world. To someone battling illness without a clear end and without knowing when things would get back to normal, that means more than you can know.

All the best guys. Keep fighting the good fight for reasoned debate and discussion.

funny-socially-awkward-penguin-meme-see-you-later.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

treaclezoo-biscuits.jpg

TTFN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Crohn's is a nasty dose, I ended up working on a couple of research projects related to it and similar conditions. You take care of yourself. Thanks for being interesting.

I'm glad to hear things are on the up, health-wise. Take care, and thanks for all of the discussions over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best of luck. ;)

If you're back, I won't be saying 'I told you so'! The door is open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Although we crossed swords on numerous occasions, on line debate and real life are different matters. I wish you continued recovery and good health in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A shame, but completely understandable. So long, Zombrex, and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'll pray for you dude.

(...sorry.. :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's a pity, any time over the years when I looked into the A&A forum for a look, your points always seemed to be the most convincing and very well put.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm shocked to hear about the Crohn's, but am mighty cheered to hear it's improving, bit by slow bit.

All the very the best of luck in future and for myself -- and on behalf of everybody here in A+A over the years who's not here to say thanks for a consistently high posting standard, well,

Thanks!

Zombrex - it's been nothing but a pleasure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

One final question before you go....

only kidding....

Best of luck and try and stay clean. Boards is a hard habit to break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Best Wishes Zombrex,always sad to see an old time poster going but life must remain a priority over the internet. Always liked reading your posts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Be well Zombrex. As said above, thanks for being interesting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Goodbye, and good luck to you, Very sorry to hear you're leaving. You're definitely a huge part in the success of this forum, and others I'm sure.

Given your circumstances, I think you've done the right thing. Tell us what the Real World is like someday when you, as I hope you will, return to us in another guise. You'll always be welcome.

Live long, and prosper. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh noes!:(

G'luck matey!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Are you sure you don't want to join the Ministry of Jesus in your time of need, Jesus can really help you through this, in fact, if you ring this number 0X-XXXX-XXXX and donate €50 you'll receive less time in purgatory, what an offer right? Plus, if you pay before the 32nd July, you get two-for-the-price-of-one for your time off purgatory! We'll even throw tickets in to visit the Vatican free of charge. All we need is your name to confirm you into the Ministry of Jesus. Go on it'll save you a lot in the end - including explaining yourself to Allah Almighty. But you knew about this threat already right?

Speedy recovery in the meantime ;-).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sad to see you go bud,

There isn't much more to add to what already been said. Take care of yourself with the crohnsies. Sincerely hope you stay in remission from now until you die from very old age. Or if that's not possible (:() you can cope with your situation in as proactive and positive a manner as possible given the circumstances.

I have faith (:p) that'll you'll return to us someday.
    For now though I hope you rediscover life,
    Live long and Prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Take care, you will be missed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Live long and prosper, dear Zombrex \\//_

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Best of health Zom. The amount of times I didn't have to type three paragraphs trying to respond to someone because of the thanks button under your post saved me both time and embarrassment at trying to match such a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Best of luck to you! I was considering asking a righteous admin for a temporary siteban myself coming up to exams, but I was a dedicated lurker for years and to that I would probably return. It's a hard thing to limit one's access to, he says as he posts at nearly 4 am...

I wish you every success in your return to normality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I found you to be one of the most interesting posters on boards. You'll be missed. Best of luck Zombrex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Best of luck Zombrex. Sorry to hear about the Crohns, it's a nasty business. Every success in health and life.

I know your absence will be keenly felt here, as it will over on Christianity. If anyone speculates that you've emigrated to Paraguay to join a Mennonite community I'll point them to this thread. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Aawww
    You've already closed your a/c so probably not reading this thread anymore, but, just in case - you were a great poster Zombrex, you'll be missed.
    Hope your health continues to improve - live long and prosper. \\// :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Best of luck in life and health. You'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You'll be back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He's totally reading all these posts right now :pac:

Take care Zombrex.

/me looks at post count

I should probably consider doing the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Take care Zombrex

Sorry to hear about the Crohns but it's good to hear you're on the mend. I know it can be a real pain in the...

I've always loved reading your posts, such a clear thought process and succinct arguments.

Hopefully, in the future we may see you back in yet another guise.

Be well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Nice one for being such a dude up here in distraction-space. Crohns is a horrible dose - glad to hear it's more under control for you, so best of luck and health for the future and thanks for explaining why you're leaving boards. So long :( xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I might be one of the newer faces here at A&A, but even in my short time here I've noticed how much you contribute to this site. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sad to see you go. The door is always open, y'hear?

Advertisement