Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to locate my fathers old Volvo P1800S - Chassis 25733

Options
  • 24-07-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there

It was exported in to Ireleand back in 2004 apparently to be restored. Been trying to track it down for months but hit a brick wall. If anyone happens to come accross it please let me know. Here are some more details about the car.

UK Reg: WWC 275F
    Make VOLVO
    Model 1800 S
    Colour BLUE (Pale blue 95)
    Body type COUPE
    Engine size 1780 cc
    Engine number 3787

Chassis number 25733
    Year 06-Oct-1967 (Model 1968)
    Exported on 01-Jun-2004

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=181294 for more on the search to date

Cheers

Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 w3st05

Thanks for those links but unfortunately I have found them already.

There seems to be no trace of the car since it was imported in to Ireland in 2004 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

w3st05 wrote: »
    Thanks for those links but unfortunately I have found them already.

There seems to be no trace of the car since it was imported in to Ireland in 2004 :(

I'm sure any who read this will keep an eye out for it should it surface :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

it also could have been cloned , so it wont be able to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

kasper wrote: »
    it also could have been cloned , so it wont be able to be found

That's rather unlikely. Volvo 1800's were never sold here, so they're all personal imports. No great scope for brown logbook shenanigans.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    That's rather unlikely. Volvo 1800's were never sold here, so they're all personal imports. No great scope for brown logbook shenanigans.

maybe unlikely but not impossible

maybe unlikely but not impossible

Let's put it this way - There's not a huge number of us 1800 owners in Ireland, and a surprising 're-discovery' of an old-reg coupe in the last 8 years wouldn't have gone un-noticed by Volvo anoraks. I've seen cars scrapped, and pulled a terminal one from a ditch for parts myself. Nothing in the way of Irish resurrections though.

ok your correct and one was imported into Ireland in 2004 and no-one knows anything about it , explain that one sherlock

ok your correct and one was imported into Ireland in 2004 and no-one knows anything about it , explain that one sherlock

Tut tut - sulking isn't becoming.
    How do you know no-one knows anything about it? We don't know the reg, and it's one of a number of UK imports that have come in over the last ten years. The owner is most likely oblivious to the PO's son's search. There isn't anything whatsoever to suggest it's been cloned - so why pretend otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

There was one on Donedeal maybe a year or so ago for restoration. It had been in storage for a while. Iirc there were two of them for sale. I believe they went to eastern Europe in the end. I think it was Bernard Daly in Farnanes was selling them, Might be worth giving him a shout.

• Advertisement

Yes I very much doubt it had been cloned. More likely its sat in someone's garage somewhere rotting away :(

There was one on Donedeal maybe a year or so ago for restoration. It had been in storage for a while. Iirc there were two of them for sale. I believe they went to eastern Europe in the end. I think it was Bernard Daly in Farnanes was selling them, Might be worth giving him a shout.

Thanks, will give him a call and see what he says.

Tut tut - sulking isn't becoming.
    How do you know no-one knows anything about it? We don't know the reg, and it's one of a number of UK imports that have come in over the last ten years. The owner is most likely oblivious to the PO's son's search. There isn't anything whatsoever to suggest it's been cloned - so why pretend otherwise?

hi op hope you locate your dads car , I didn't say it was cloned just that if it was it would mean it would be hard to find it
    alastair are you an 8 year old boy playing with daddys computer ?, I didn't pretend it was cloned when you go to big school you will learn how to understand English .

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭JP 1800

I will keep an eye out myself as I tend to be talking to other P1800 owners in the course of working on them or through meetings

hi op hope you locate your dads car , I didn't say it was cloned just that if it was it would mean it would be hard to find it
    alastair are you an 8 year old boy playing with daddys computer ?, I didn't pretend it was cloned when you go to big school you will learn how to understand English .

I understand English perfectly, cheers. You introduced this red herring of cloning, and when it was pointed out that it actually made little sense, you sulked and asked what the alternative might be. That's the reality. It might have been crushed too, or been stolen and hidden in an underground carpark awaiting a bank job, in which case it would also be hard to find, but I doubt anyone's propounding those theories either.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

are you an 8 year old boy playing with daddys computer ?

Less of the personal insults please

Just spoke to Bernard. I am pleased to say he didn't have the car as they went to Poland. Very nice chap though and will keep an eye out for me :)

It's looking very likely that it was the car for sale up in Roscommon about six years ago that JP mentioned in the VOC thread. Right colour, right model, still on UK plates, owner selling because she couldn't adjust to the heavy steering (so presumably it hadn't been owned by her that long).

It's looking very likely that it was the car for sale up in Roscommon about six years ago that JP mentioned in the VOC thread. Right colour, right model, still on UK plates, owner selling because she couldn't adjust to the heavy steering (so presumably it hadn't been owned by her that long).

It certainly does sound like the car, hopefully it will turn up one day.

Odd about it still being on UK plates though, not sure how that works as it's not registered here anymore.

Odd about it still being on UK plates though, not sure how that works as it's not registered here anymore.

You put an ad on Done Deal today for it ? The whole countryside will be out looking for it soon :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

W3st05
    I read this thread with interest and the UK one linked.
    Just a note, when swansea say exported to Ireland they may also be referring to exported to Northern ireland where Coleraine take charge of the details.
    Many cars lie for years in garages, theres hope yet.

Capri wrote: »
    You put an ad on Done Deal today for it ? The whole countryside will be out looking for it soon :P

Yes Bernard recommended that I do this. Didn't want to make it too obvious I was looking to a specific car though.

rugbyman wrote: »
    W3st05
    I read this thread with interest and the UK one linked.
    Just a note, when swansea say exported to Ireland they may also be referring to exported to Northern ireland where Coleraine take charge of the details.
    Many cars lie for years in garages, theres hope yet.

Swansea wouldn't tell me where it was exported to. I found out from the sister of the last UK owner who was sure it was Southern Ireland

Some people were just lazy about re-registering cars they had brought in, in a timely fashion. Enforcement of the requirement to re-register was/is a bit patchy for classics, so you'd see the odd car still on UK plates that had been taken out of the system by Swansea. Have a look at the number of 'still on UK plates' ads that pop up donedeal.

It could have gone Northern Ireland, or to Britain, after being sold by the Irish owner, and required a new UK reg, having been re-imported, or it could still be floating around the South with a new Irish reg.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It could have gone Northern Ireland, or to Britain, after being sold by the Irish owner, and required a new UK reg, having been re-imported,

Don't know the exact date they changed it, but GB to NI can either change to NI reg or keep the GB one.

If it was re-imported to GB, it would regain its old GB number, they don't re-issue them and they are kept on file as dormant.
    or it could still be floating around the South with a new Irish reg.

If it has been re-registered in IRL, the VRC would have the previous registration mark/no on it. Maybe someone "in the know" would know if it's possible to do a search by information identification code "J.4" (previous registration number)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Have you tried inquiring with one of the Irish car history check firms to see if they can perform a search using the old UK reg or the chassis number?

Motor Check is one for example. (I know your UK reg comes up as invalid when you check on their website but they may be able to run a different query on the data base.)

They won't be able to tell you the registered owners name but they may be able to tell you the new registration number.

They may of course say that due to data protection laws they can't even do that, but it's surely worth a phone call to try and find out.

invest4deepvalue.com

I have tried cartell but they couldn't find anything

I called them up and all they have is the UK info. Said they couldn't find anything on the chassis number or search on previous reg :(

• Advertisement

I called them up and all they have is the UK info. Said they couldn't find anything on the chassis number or search on previous reg :(

Saw a 67D*** silver one today, was going to spin around to catch him but I think it's well known.

Advertisement