Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum seekers waiting 10 years for decision

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

'Course you were being passive-aggressive. And you've done it again in the above post. Every dig you make about people having an open mind regarding asylum-seekers, you follow with a :). It's plain as day. Just try to consider some of them are coming from desperate circumstances and wouldn't be living in cramped conditions on €20 per week if that weren't so. Surely you have some compassion for your fellow human beings?

Yes, of course I have compassion :)

What exactly do you want ?:)

How many asylum seekers are in centres for 10 years?:)

What is your interest in this topic?:)

What do you expect the Irish population to do about it?:)

How many people Irish or otherwise are homeless and sleeping on our streets tonight, without shelter and €20 per week ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

Yes, of course I have compassion :)

What exactly do you want ?:)

How many asylum seekers are in centres for 10 years?:)

What is your interest in this topic?:)

What do you expect the Irish population to do about it?:)

How many people Irish or otherwise are homeless and sleeping on our streets tonight, without shelter and €20 per week ?:)

Very very few and in Dublin there is no need to go without a roof over your head shelter is available.
    What is it with this 20 euro a week? ffs what use is that?an insult to the immigrants!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I don't know - do you? Separate issue.

":)"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anahita wrote: »
    I am familiar with situations where children are living in direct provision for 8+ years. There is a definite 'syndrome' or set of characteristics that develop when children are raised long term in this type of setting. We see it in school. I can't go into too much detail but if these long-term residents of direct provision centres do 'get their papers' the results of the lifetime institutionalisation of these children will be our problem to deal with long term. These needs will also cost money.

I understand that the application and appeal process will in some ways be conducted in tandem to expedite cases as much as possible. In my own experience also, when some asylum seekers get a denial of their leave to remain they abscond within the Republic. They simply change their identities, go underground and register their children in different schools, etc... they do not participate in the economy by paying taxes, have no access to social welfare and work in the black market. The children suffer the most, in my experience often don't get to say goodbye to their friends or have any continuity in their education.

Does this anger you? Shock you? Disgust you? Do you want these 'illegals' out of Ireland? How dare they live and work here illegally taking 'Irish' jobs and not contribute to the society in which they live!! Outrageous!

Well....read this: http://www.thejournal.ie/immigration-reform-us-gilmore-irish-illegals-874103-Apr2013/
    Only they are not called 'illegals' in America, they're call 'undocumented.' Samesies, I think?

Well yeah, illegals should be sent home, and as for the Irish illegals in America they should get the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

I agree GalwayGuy...not necessarily that anyone should be sent home, but do agree the two issues aren't miles apart. Just that the perspective is different in America to Irish 'undocumented' and let's say Mexican 'illegals'...

• Advertisement

apollo8 wrote: »
    Very very few and in Dublin there is no need to go without a roof over your head shelter is available.
    What is it with this 20 euro a week? ffs what use is that?an insult to the immigrants!.

€20 per week , I guess is multiples of what they would get back home,otherwise they would not stay. Bear in mind their food and lodgings are already are already paid for.:)

I don't know - do you? Separate issue.

":)"

Gosh, I thought you cared!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

€20 per week , I guess is multiples of what they would get back home,otherwise they would not stay. Bear in mind their food and lodgings are already are already paid for.:)

.....but they aren't back home, they're here. That's where they have to spend the money, here, at our prices.

Nodin wrote: »
    .....but they aren't back home, they're here. That's where they have to spend the money, here, at our prices.

I guess that is the choice they made. I don't think anyone in Ireland forced them to make that choice.

How many people are actually stuck in this unfortunate situation?

Are numbers increasing or decreasing?

Surely if the numbers are decreasing, it should be possible to clear the backlog?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

No, not at all.

You evidently think life here as an asylum seeker is soft, which is part of the problem.

Not at all. I've said a few times that the conditions aren't great. But maybe read back what I've actually written and get back to me on that.

• Advertisement

I guess that is the choice they made. I don't think anyone in Ireland forced them to make that choice.

Corrected on point of fact -> deflect. Par for the course in these threads I suppose.
    ash23 wrote:
    Not at all. I've said a few times that the conditions aren't great. But maybe
    read back what I've actually written and get back to me on that

That's what this implies.

"In regard to the op, the length of the processing is caused in part because of the unwillingness to just give a no and stick to it. Allowing endless appeals and allowing the process to drag on and on, while supporting asylum seekers is soft."

You seem to have an uncanny knack - nay, some sort of super ability - to type something in direct opposition to what you mean a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Corrected on point of fact -> deflect. Par for the course in these threads I suppose.

That's what this implies.

"In regard to the op, the length of the processing is caused in part because of the unwillingness to just give a no and stick to it. Allowing endless appeals and allowing the process to drag on and on, while supporting asylum seekers is soft."

You seem to have an uncanny knack - nay, some sort of super ability - to type something in direct opposition to what you mean a lot of the time.

No I think you just have a knack of twisting what people say to suit your agenda. I said in numerous posts that the conditions aren't great. But they are being supported while here. They are housed and fed. So that's support while they are here. You are deliberately taking things from my posts that aren't there because you seem to want my opinion to be that so you can argue with me.

You'd fight with your toenails I'd say.

ash23 wrote: »
    No I think you just have a knack of twisting what people say to suit your agenda. I said in numerous posts that the conditions aren't great. But they are being supported while here. They are housed and fed. So that's support while they are here. You are deliberately taking things from my posts that aren't there because you seem to want my opinion to be that so you can argue with me.

You'd fight with your toenails I'd say.

I believe we covered this ground before.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85920536&postcount=146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Presume then that you would be demanding that all of our immigrants be returned to us as well, in the intrests of fairness like.:P
    If they are working legally no otherwise yes.

Advertisement