Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General ongoing weather discussion thread (Warning: images)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 renglish

My beady little eyes scanned the current IR satellite image loop
    and about 400mi SW of Bantry, we can see two lows circulating around each other getting very close to merger. One of them is going to get deeper as a result (assuming my interpretation is correct).

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/forecast/europe/with-controls/europe-infrared-sat-loop.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I have to say, even though the heatwave is over the weather still is really nice, at least down here in Waterford anyway - low 20's, lots of sunshine and beautiful cloudscapes for the past few days. Only the odd brief shower too, nothing heavy yet.

It might not be roasting but it still feels like summer when your out and about and a long way from the miserable overcast summers with frontal rain of recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wow, crazy ECM tonight.

Look at those uppers, +24 in the channel, +20 halfway across Wales.

WClqJP5.gif

For comparison, these were the uppers during the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK, 38.5 :

archives-2003-8-10-0-1.png

GEM is is crazier, +24 uppers actually make it to southeast England and +20 upper reaching as far north as Scotland.

s9q2l3p.png

There could be epic severe thunderstorm potential for us here to the west in that kind of setup.

Don't worry, that won't actually happen. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Amazingly, another monster thunderstorm moving into SW France tonight, almost a carbon-copy of last night's one and about the same time too:

http://www.sat24.com/en/fr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to say, even though the heatwave is over the weather still is really nice, at least down here in Waterford anyway - low 20's, lots of sunshine and beautiful cloudscapes for the past few days. Only the odd brief shower too, nothing heavy yet.

It might not be roasting but it still feels like summer when your out and about and a long way from the miserable overcast summers with frontal rain of recent years.

True enough,

I'm not wearing any pants. :o (its is a bit humid)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Been a great summer in Waterford, even since the hot spell broke the heavy showers have been mainly at night. Another good summers day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 renglish

tippman1 wrote: »
    Amazingly, another monster thunderstorm moving into SW France tonight, almost a carbon-copy of last night's one and about the same time too:

http://www.sat24.com/en/fr

Jayziz. That cell is bigger than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Currently its looking similar to the last few days, maybe a few degrees cooler with showers less intense, but 7/8 days time is still FI. From about Tuesday on you will see a more definite picture

Quick question please, folks.....what does "FI" stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

tippman1 wrote: »
    Quick question please, folks.....what does "FI" stand for?

Fantasy island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Great week here again as well, warm and sunny everyday and only a few brief showers. I've enjoyed this week just as much as the heatwave, not as warm but with the added bonus of unpredictability and thunderstorms

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is propably the first very normal day we've had here in Meath in a long time, mostly cloudy, showers, brief moments of sun and only around 18-20C today. Should warm up again slightly next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Ok we have had over a week of unsettled weather now and with ME predicting more unsettled weather for the foreseeable future it is looking like it is a case of normal service resumed.I was initially hopeful of another fine settled period but there are no indications of this in the next 10 days. So we will probably look back on this summer and say we had an excellent first 10 days of June a superb 3 weeks in July and unfortunately a showery and unsettled remainder of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Ok we have had over a week of unsettled weather now and with ME predicting more unsettled weather for the foreseeable future it is looking like it is a case of normal service resumed.I was initially hopeful of another fine settled period but there are no indications of this in the next 10 days. So we will probably look back on this summer and say we had an excellent first 10 days of June a superb 3 weeks in July and unfortunately a showery and unsettled remainder of the summer.

Probably. But 2006 is still remembered, and there was overall less hot, sunny weather that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Probably. But 2006 is still remembered, and there was overall less hot, sunny weather that year.

Agree with you 100% even if August is a complete washout we still have not had a better 3 weeks weather in July since 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would describe todays weather as muck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Just checking some weather reports on ESTOFEX and spotted this report from maynooth on the 25th, maybe Thursday we will see similar action :)

Capturety_zps191f67f0.png

Picture

tornado-9-630x472_zps4421c773.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The thing is that even since the so called hot spell finished, it has been really warm every day since (certainly here in Dublin anyway). There has not been a single day where you wouldnt have got away with a tshirt. I know there have been some heavy showers of rain but not as many as expected. Could be different in other parts of the country but even today, it feels pretty warm out there. Cant think of a single day in July that over 20 degrees was not hit somewhere in Ireland.

The difference today is humidity, really heavy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Is it only in backward little countries like Ireland where the national broadcaster cannot get the simplest of things right?

On a scale of 1 – 10, I would rate the departure of Pat Kenny from RTE at about 1 or 2 at most in order of importance with 10 being the highest score and I doubt if many are having sleepless nights over the issue. On the other hand, broadcasting the one o’clock news and farming weather at 13:00hrs. is of importance to many and RTE cannot get it right.

This programme is regularly shifted about and complaints to RTE fall on deaf ears. The weekly weather is one of the few things I am interested in watching on RTE and today again it was broadcast before the correct time and I missed it like many others probably did.

What sort of idiots are in charge of programme scheduling or is there anybody at all in charge at RTE. Any seven year old child could get this sort of thing right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I THINK I know what you mean? The forecast scheduled for 12.50?

In my experience you've to tune in at 12.45 and it can be any time after that up to 12.55.

Less than ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I'm using this thread to post my thoughts on the possibility of an upcoming warm spell as the other thread has become a tiresome ideological battleground.

Many models now are showing a pressure rise next week, high pressure becoming a very dominant feature in the ECM and GFS in particular, from about August 20th. This is looking likely to deliver the best spell of weather since the July heatwave.

While there is little to suggest anything of that duration or intensity, there is certainly in the offing a potential spell of weather far superior again to anything we saw last year. The third such this summer, and I would not be surprised to see >25 C posted at weather stations countrywide.

If this transpires, then for me at least, 2013 will rate in the top 3 summers I can remember! and I'm 32.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes there is a growing trend now towards something warm and settled towards the end of next week.

If I could choose one set of charts to keep an eye on its the ECM Ensemble mean charts, and they have progressively built towards this idea in the last few days. Still open to change but getting more likely.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsecmeur.html

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

An Indian Summer would be nice... One more last blast heatwave before an epic early winter!

I don't ask for much do I! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

MTC's long term trend is also suggesting a possible Indian summer after the middle of September (I'm not sure if that is September or October).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Any thoughts anyone in and around sept 5th? (My wedding day!) I know it's probably too early to tell but I am so excited and as long as I get a dry day with one or two bursts of sun I'll be ecstatic! I know, though, I should probably come back in ten days :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

Babooshka wrote: »
    Any thoughts anyone in and around sept 5th? (My wedding day!) I know it's probably too early to tell but I am so excited and as long as I get a dry day with one or two bursts of sun I'll be ecstatic! I know, though, I should probably come back in ten days :o

Try 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Try 15.

Thanks for your input :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG Gerry Murphy on Rose of Tralee giving weather forecast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭emo72

lads, any sign of this good weather coming back. MTC said in one of his casts last week that tuesday (today) onwards would start to be hot. that looks like its being pushed back to the weekend. can anyone advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

As is often the case, it's all gone to shìt. What was forecast as a settled warm and dry week with lots of sun, is now just the usual cloudy grey soup with rain. Overnight.

Next week apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Babooshka wrote: »

Still far too early to have any sort of accurate forecast but I'm sure you'd gladly take the current outlook, sunny and warm with temps well into the 20's if this were to happen.

gfs-0-336_tqz1.png

The charts still have a very summery look to them for the foreseeable future with high pressure pushing north, no signs of an early Autumn on the way so hopefully we don't get the usual downgrade now

Advertisement