Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The current state of Irish Rugby's finances

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

There are now a lot more opportunities to spend your money on rugby now than there was 3/4 years ago. It would have been very expensive being a Leinster fan over the last few years if you think of the amount of knock-out games they have been involved in in the last 3-4 years, many of them in the Aviva with the tickets at half the price, then there were the trips to France, Edinburgh etc. I don't think people have the money to do it all anymore. You have to make choices.

Last year Leinster sent back tickets for the Munster v Leinster game in Thomond (uptake was about 800). That would not have happened 2/3 years ago.

I suspect with the imminent retirement of Brian O'Driscoll, the Aviva will be sell-outs for all games in the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    There are now a lot more opportunities to spend your money on rugby now than there was 3/4 years ago. It would have been very expensive being a Leinster fan over the last few years if you think of the amount of knock-out games they have been involved in in the last 3-4 years, many of them in the Aviva with the tickets at half the price, then there were the trips to France, Edinburgh etc. I don't think people have the money to do it all anymore. You have to make choices.

Last year Leinster sent back tickets for the Munster v Leinster game in Thomond (uptake was about 800). That would not have happened 2/3 years ago.

I suspect with the imminent retirement of Brian O'Driscoll, the Aviva will be sell-outs for all games in the coming season.

I think that is part of it. But I know plenty of people who could easily afford to go to all the games if they wanted but don't go because they're not as excited as they were. Even guys who have those seats paid up arent going to every game. It's much easier to be disappointed at home or in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You have to pick and choose as the money simply isnt there to do it all anymore.

Have to say that the atmosphere in the aviva is sadly lacking, went to the SA game last year and people would look at you as if you had two heads if you started roaring support at the team. 4 fellas behind us had a full on conversation for the whole game, it was bizarre really.

The timing of some of the games doesnt help either, a 4pm kick off means that we cant use public transport so that means we have to drive or stay over, which either means more expense or a long day up and down to dublin in the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Shelflife wrote: »
    Have to say that the atmosphere in the aviva is sadly lacking, went to the SA game last year and people would look at you as if you had two heads if you started roaring support at the team. 4 fellas behind us had a full on conversation for the whole game, it was bizarre really.

That drives me bananas. And it doesn't just happen in the Aviva. We've had it happen on the terrace in the RDS a few times for big games. A bunch of lads arrive in late and at half time when people are at the bar/toilets they shove their way down to the front, take other peoples spots, stand in front of people who can't see past them and then proceed to chat away and not watch the match at all. And if you say anything to them then you're the a-hole.

A few have mentioned it before and I did say it on the IRFU facebook page at one stage, but you need something like a "singing" section in the Aviva. Not exactly a section purely for singing, but an area that's unreserved seating that's there for people to get some atmosphere going. It can be so difficult in the Aviva at times. You feel like a spare tool if you get any way involved. If you could buy tickets for a section and you knew everyone there was up for getting stuck in and you could sit with mates etc it should improve things no end. You could dot a few sections like that around the stadium and it might even help spread the atmospshere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Aviva stadium may be unwilling or unable to have unreserved seating, but even a designated section would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Blut2

molloyjh wrote: »

A few have mentioned it before and I did say it on the IRFU facebook page at one stage, but you need something like a "singing" section in the Aviva. Not exactly a section purely for singing, but an area that's unreserved seating that's there for people to get some atmosphere going. It can be so difficult in the Aviva at times. You feel like a spare tool if you get any way involved. If you could buy tickets for a section and you knew everyone there was up for getting stuck in and you could sit with mates etc it should improve things no end. You could dot a few sections like that around the stadium and it might even help spread the atmospshere.

A lot of American sports teams have a "student" section for this reason. They give a block of seats, at a massively discounted price, to the local university's equivalent sports team. This means you tend to have a group of 100+ young, drunk, male fans concentrated in one spot. Tends to get the noise going nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Highlanders is a great example of this 'singing section' in a rugby sense:

Granted it's a college city, but would love to see one of these in the Nth Stand of the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The Aviva stadium may be unwilling or unable to have unreserved seating, but even a designated section would be a start.

I think the soccer crowd do that, so it should be possible. Think they way they did it was through their Supporters Club (COYBIG) opting into a singing section when buying their tickets.

Advertisement