Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player Watchlist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Ravel Morrison - possible cheap mid option at 4.5

worth keeping an eye on this guy, as a united fan i'd be hearing about his talent for years in the underage teams. he has the talent but his off the field problems saw united lose patience with him, west ham loaned him to birmingham and again a poor attitude almost seen birmingham terminate the loan, but he seemed to knuckle down then and get on with things.

He's scored twice already for west ham in pre season, albeit it against poor opposition, like i said, he has the talent, whether or not he can do something with that remains to be seen but as i have a 4.5 mil spot up for grabs i'll be keeping an eye on him.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/11/ex-manchester-united-starlet-strikes-again-could-ravel-morrison/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This is my first 90mins watching Zaha play for United. He is definitely worth that 6.5m tag if he starts for them, which I think he will. Putting both Young and Valencia to shame in all of his preseason games, and again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Kevin De Bruyne at 7million? If he goes out on loan which i suspect he will given the size of chelseas team. He will be a bargain wherever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Cornelius at cardiff could be a dark horse, very cheap for a striker at 5.5m and Cardiff have spent a lot of money on him. Top scorer in Denmark last year. Im going to take a punt on him anyway alongside Bony and V persie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

What do people think of Giaccherini? I know Sunderland have a tough start but he was very impressive in the Confederations cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

With the bale RVP conundrum i think some of us need a cheap mid or maybe even 2 of them and im not sure there are many standout candidates but i think Darren Gibson at 5.0 should be considered.
    Evertons midfield is without P Neville and possibly without Fellaini, Gibson could cement a starting role in a top half team at 5.0, he can pick up some assists, good long range shot and the odd clean sheet point for 5.0 i can see him being good value with very low ownership for possible early profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

With the bale RVP conundrum i think some of us need a cheap mid or maybe even 2 of them and im not sure there are many standout candidates but i think Darren Gibson at 5.0 should be considered.
    Evertons midfield is without P Neville and possibly without Fellaini, Gibson could cement a starting role in a top half team at 5.0, he can pick up some assists, good long range shot and the odd clean sheet point for 5.0 i can see him being good value with very low ownership for possible early profit.

This is true, especially as BPs may now suit CM's and Gibbo's passing should be slick enough. If I didn't have Mirallas in my midfield he'd be an option to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Boots234 wrote: »
    What do people think of Giaccherini? I know Sunderland have a tough start but he was very impressive in the Confederations cup
    Yeah think he could be a good one and for 7m also, def in my team anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

dahat wrote: »
    Sounds silly but does nothing but defend,no gaols,no assits so on that at 5.5 i would class him expensive,other defenders give more at cheaper like Turner

Nastasic will outscore Turner if he plays the same number of games. I may end up with both and if Nastasic has an 'easy' fixture he'll get the nod ahead of Turner. Don't discount the value of clean sheets, City will be favourites to top this list again this season lie they have for the last three. And he's not incapable of scoring, he banged in two in 21 games for Fiorentina the season before joining City, when he was 18. He's only 20, but with the ability to be the next Vidic he will probably concentrate on solidifying his position in the squad before looking to score. Doesn't mean it's an impossibility, but I'm basing my decision on him getting clean sheets.

For a rough guide on figures, if City keep an average of 18/38 clean sheets as they have done the last few seasons, this will give him 108 points (18x6). then for the remaining 20 games he would most likely score either 1 or 2 points depending on how many goals City concede, so we'll split it and say half even though City will most likely concede a single goal a lot more often than multiple. so 20x1.5 = 30, add that to 108 to get 138. Giving an average 3.63 PPG, which is definitely on the low side and doesn't even factor in bonus points/goals/assists. I would imagine his real PPG average will be around 4, as it was last season.

He is just as valuable as Mertesacker or anyone in the <£5.5m range. All depends on how much gametime he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hogey007 wrote: »

worth keeping an eye on this guy, as a united fan i'd be hearing about his talent for years in the underage teams. he has the talent but his off the field problems saw united lose patience with him, west ham loaned him to birmingham and again a poor attitude almost seen birmingham terminate the loan, but he seemed to knuckle down then and get on with things.

He's scored twice already for west ham in pre season, albeit it against poor opposition, like i said, he has the talent, whether or not he can do something with that remains to be seen but as i have a 4.5 mil spot up for grabs i'll be keeping an eye on him.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/11/ex-manchester-united-starlet-strikes-again-could-ravel-morrison/
    scored again in west hams latest game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

roryc wrote: »
    Nastasic will outscore Turner if he plays the same number of games. I may end up with both and if Nastasic has an 'easy' fixture he'll get the nod ahead of Turner. Don't discount the value of clean sheets, City will be favourites to top this list again this season lie they have for the last three. And he's not incapable of scoring, he banged in two in 21 games for Fiorentina the season before joining City, when he was 18. He's only 20, but with the ability to be the next Vidic he will probably concentrate on solidifying his position in the squad before looking to score. Doesn't mean it's an impossibility, but I'm basing my decision on him getting clean sheets.

For a rough guide on figures, if City keep an average of 18/38 clean sheets as they have done the last few seasons, this will give him 108 points (18x6). then for the remaining 20 games he would most likely score either 1 or 2 points depending on how many goals City concede, so we'll split it and say half even though City will most likely concede a single goal a lot more often than multiple. so 20x1.5 = 30, add that to 108 to get 138. Giving an average 3.63 PPG, which is definitely on the low side and doesn't even factor in bonus points/goals/assists. I would imagine his real PPG average will be around 4, as it was last season.

He is just as valuable as Mertesacker or anyone in the <£5.5m range. All depends on how much gametime he gets.

I like the reasoning, but the key to it is how much they rotate. Kompany is 100% nailed on every week, but Nastastic will be vying with Lescott. I always prefer to go with a player that is 100% nailed on for a smaller side, than one who is a rotation risk for a top side. I guess it depends on the individual case, but if I was going for City cleansheets, I'd go for Hart who never misses a game.

In his first press conference Pellegrini was talking about playing attacking football:
    We are hoping and always going to try to play attractive football. All the other teams I have worked before I have wanted to play attacking football and I want to try that again at Manchester City

It'll be interesting to see how he follows through on this. It could be hard to play attacking football and keep that same defensive stability they've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeah I agree, totally depends on Nastasic nailing down a spot. He hasn't started in today's friendly.

scored again in west hams latest game

def worth keeping an eye on so, i think you're like me and going with both RVP and Bale (as things stand anyway) so we need a 4.5 midfielder. at present i have that dikagoci (spelling?) guy from palace but if Morrison keeps up his good pre season form he may force his way into the west ham team for the opening day fixture, if that looks likely i'll take a punt on him because west ham's opening fixtures are nice. He seems like he may have finally copped on and just knuckled down and got on with his football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The most naturally gifted footballer i have seen coming through the United academy. Including the likes of Rossi and Pogba. He is just a nutcase it is upto him really. If he concentrates on football and becomes a regular he could score very high. But your taking the risk on him not messing things up for himself which will probably happen. He could be a good bench option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I watched Natasic last year and he was fantastic probably their best player imo. He should start every game but it's hard to know with a new manager. I want a City defender and he looks the cheapest option.

def worth keeping an eye on so, i think you're like me and going with both RVP and Bale (as things stand anyway) so we need a 4.5 midfielder. at present i have that dikagoci (spelling?) guy from palace but if Morrison keeps up his good pre season form he may force his way into the west ham team for the opening day fixture, if that looks likely i'll take a punt on him because west ham's opening fixtures are nice. He seems like he may have finally copped on and just knuckled down and got on with his football.

as things stand Im going with rvp and bale although if chelsea have a dgw ill probably pick a team for the first 3 weeks and then wildcard .My 4.5 lad will be Morrison or Jerome Thomas i reckon.Palace will be very attacking under holloway .

as things stand Im going with rvp and bale although if chelsea have a dgw ill probably pick a team for the first 3 weeks and then wildcard .My 4.5 lad will be Morrison or Jerome Thomas i reckon.Palace will be very attacking under holloway .

does Thomas play much for them? I remember him from his Charlton days.

the thing about a 4.5 player is you can take a risk at the start of the season, most of us use our wildcard early on so if we get it wrong and Morrison isn't playing he's easy to change. my 4.5 mid will probably be 2nd or 3rd sub most weeks, only coming in if he has a good home game (or I get injuries) but that shouldn't happen for the first week, the players I pick should be guaranteed starters (or else I won't be picking them)
    as the season progresses and your wildcard is gone what you want from your cheap mid is someone that plays week in week out so that when he's called upon he'll get you a minimum 2 points, you don't want to be wasting a transfer on a cheap mid either.
    But yeah for the start of the season, it's no harm taking a risk on someone like Morrison if he looks like he could be involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

If Rooney leaves and is not replaced Hernandez is a steal at 7.5m, he could easily start a lot of games with RVP up front. If he was a guaranteed starter he'd be worth 11-12m

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

irish son wrote: »
    If Rooney leaves and is not replaced Hernandez is a steal at 7.5m, he could easily start a lot of games with RVP up front. If he was a guaranteed starter he'd be worth 11-12m

I think United will be going 4-4-1-1, with Kagawa (or Rooney if he stays, but that is very unlikely) the main man playing off Van Persie. Hernandez would probably get the majority of his minutes in the early rounds of cup games or as a substitute for Van Persie in league games.

I don't think he'd give anywhere near the required value for that much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Johnson or Jose Enrique from liverpool?

Also think Milner 6m for City is a steal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Also think Milner 6m for City is a steal

I prefer Johnson, technically better player with potential for more goals+assists.

Milner is a pure squad player IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What about Neil Taylor at 4.5 ? got badly injured early last year and Davies came in took his place and did well. Will Taylor get it back? at 4.5 could be a steal and we know Swans and their clean sheets!

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    What about Neil Taylor at 4.5 ? got badly injured early last year and Davies came in took his place and did well. Will Taylor get it back? at 4.5 could be a steal and we know Swans and their clean sheets!

Far too much potential rotation with Davies. Although when it comes to europa matches whoever plays in those will surely not play in the league. Worth keeping an eye on him but nothing more at the moment, especially when you consider their opening fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Gary Hooper just announced as signing for Norwich City. Could be a nice option up front.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Gary Hooper just announced as signing for Norwich City. Could be a nice option up front.
    so i presume it will be him and von wolfswinkel up front?

MagicIRL wrote: »

yeah i'll be curious to see what price he comes in at, 6.0 or 6.5 and i'd be interested.

Is Mannone Sunderland's number 1 now that Mignolet gone? Sunderland start not too bad so 4.5 god be good value

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

Johnson all day long.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    so i presume it will be him and von wolfswinkel up front?

there aren't many teams playing with 2 out and out strikers these days it would be brave of norwich to go with it.

• Advertisement

there aren't many teams playing with 2 out and out strikers these days it would be brave of norwich to go with it.

I don't really know how they'd operate to be honest, maybe something like:
    Fer.....Howson
    Snodgrass...................Pilkington
    Hooper....The Wolf

With Redmond coming on as a sub for some extra width or Tettey/Johnson to add steel. It's a strange one, especially if they're still pursuing Quagliarella

Advertisement