Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential new jobs boost

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Vanquished

While I would be generally supportive of the concept of a body like An Taisce and especially their role in highlighting inappropriate development and sloppy planning. I feel this is an unnecessarily heavy handed approach that will delay a highly important project for a number of months!

You cannot force people to cycle, walk or use public transport to get to work. What you can do is put the necessary infrastructure in place in an attempt to incentivise such behaviour and promote a modal shift where possible. But equally there will always be situations where certain people have no option but to commute to work by car.

Bus and cycle lanes have been developed in Raheen/Dooradoyle in recent years and another section towards Punches Cross is almost complete. Of course more are needed throughout the city but it is the responsibility of the local authority, the NTA and the Department of Transport to ensure that such provisions are put in place.

Of course another problem is that despite new bus lanes and the introduction of real time passenger information (apparently!). The Bus Eireann service is still unreliable with no firm commitment to improving it it would seem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This is a very typical case of media manipulation I have often alluded to.

I don't for a second believe that this objection (whether justified or not) will impede on the investment, they are already on the ground and the objection is related to access, hardly a deal breaker, if we can agree that then surely this "story" had no business on the front page.

Lets ask what the dynamics of this story are.

Firstly, how did it come to the attention of the journalist, was it from

1 The company Regeneron, very doubtful, in that case the first thing the Post would have done is contact Minister Noonan for comment as this is very much his "watch".

2 An Taisce, very doubtful, for the same reasons as above.

3 The Post, did the journalist do a bit of digging? Hardly, as above the first person he would have contacted would have been the minister, certainly not some FF no hoper.

4 The rotten FF party this time represented by Seamus Sheahan, who I suspect is trying to woo voters in the city ahead of the local elections, how he became aware of it I'll leave up to your imagination. This is by far the most likely source of this story, how else do you think a heretofore annonymous FF candidate got his name on the front page of the regions most read newspaper a couple of weeks before the local elections.

If I am accurate then, we need to ask ourselves.

Can the Limerick Post be trusted to be objective in it's coverage of the candidates in the upcoming election?

How has FF managed to get what I believe to be a complete non story on the front page? Who in The Limerick Post gave the nod to put that "story" on the Front page.

Why do FF fight so dirty, using the threat of job losses to raise profile, are they worthy of our votes in that case?

Remember FF are old pros when it comes to playing the dirty game, when you next find yourself in a polling booth

But because the media manipulate, we are all discussing the merits of the objection, the validitiy of an Taisce to threaten the investment etc etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

@ Silentcorner. Nobody here thinks the investment will be withdrawn. However any appeal to APB will delay construction work starting at the facility by a minimum of 4 months, but generally a lot more than this.
    I honestly don't see how reducing the size of a car park that's already there or putting in a 300m cycle lane that ends at the roundabout is going to help reduce car journeys when there are no other cycle lanes in the industrial estate and Bus Eireann continue to provide a p1ss poor service.

Advertisement