Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential new jobs boost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Great news - the Limerick Leader must be pissed as they have been missed out on breaking the news!

Whens M&S opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Great news.

I think we should build a monorail out to the factory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

As good as high ebd jobs are we will also need low level jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Really, I hear those things are awfuly loud :p

bigpink wrote: »
    As good as high ebd jobs are we will also need low level jobs

Its a pharma manufacturer there would be plenty of operator, warehouse, security, catering, admin jobs as well as high end jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If Dell gets sold and closed, then what happens to the 1100 or so workers that are currently there?

Regeneron, if it comes, is looking to hire a few hundred people. Surely that means the massive jobs boost of a few hundred new Regeneron jobs would come at the cost of 1100 Dell jobs in Limerick?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    If Dell gets sold and closed, then what happens to the 1100 or so workers that are currently there?

The article suggests it's the manufacturing building that's being sold. The jobs from that unit were lost already.

They are looking at buying the emf3 plant, Noonan told the iDA to get it occupied.

I'd imagine its only the EMF3 (white) building. Dell will probably still operate from EMF1 (red brick) building. Great news all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the unoccupied white building they're talking about.

• Advertisement

The article suggests it's the manufacturing building that's being sold. The jobs from that unit were lost already.
    kilburn wrote: »
    They are looking at buying the emf3 plant, Noonan told the iDA to get it occupied.
    shaaane wrote: »
    I'd imagine its only the EMF3 (white) building. Dell will probably still operate from EMF1 (red brick) building. Great news all the same.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    It's the unoccupied white building they're talking about.

Then it is nothing but good news if it goes ahead. :D

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/life-after-dell-300-jobs-in-the-pipeline-1-5308668

Looks like MR Noonan has learned his lesson, afraid to comment until something more concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kilburn wrote: »
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/life-after-dell-300-jobs-in-the-pipeline-1-5308668

Looks like MR Noonan has learned his lesson, afraid to comment until something more concrete

Is commenting about not commenting actually commenting in any case?

Its seems to be definite, they filed documents with SEC in America stating they were taking the plant and renovating it happy days a few hundred jobs for Limerick at last

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/pharma-firm-regeneron-to-take-over-dell-facility-29561283.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

The average salary in Regeneron is $94,000 according to statistics from Indeed.com, the job search engine.

Sunday Independent

I'll take half that and still be happy

The average salary in Regeneron is $94,000 according to statistics from Indeed.com, the job search engine.

Sunday Independent

I'll take half that and still be happy

Half that would come in around the €35,500 mark. Would imagine that is a figure that a lot of this country would be happy to earn.

US salaries will most likely have little or no bearing on what salaries they pay over here. The same way if they set up in Asia you can bet someone over there would not be paid the same rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Would love to see this happen as I would love to be able to move back to Limerick without having to change industry.
    Delighted for Limerick that it's looking more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

anybody know when these jobs will be becoming available or how we'll apply?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

anybody know when these jobs will be becoming available or how we'll apply?

I'd say that's a long way off yet. They haven't even completed the purchase of EMF3 yet. When they do then they have to outfit it before they can hire staff.

• Advertisement

Not anytime soon, that building is an empty shell at the moment.

According to the Post, An Taisce have appealed the planning permission for this to An Bord Pleanala on the gounds of infrastructure and accessibility to the area and concerns for traffic.
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/03/13/planning-threat-to-900-new-jobs/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    I always thought that an Taisce were nothing but a shower of cnuts who took pleasure in delaying important projects just for the sake of it, but this takes the buscuit.
    How on earth could they possibly think that there would be any infrastructure and accessibility issues at a plant that had nearly 2000 people working there for a decade and is situated on a motorway? And the worse thing is we the taxpayer fund these nutjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

How on earth could they possibly think that there would be any infrastructure and accessibility issues at a plant that had nearly 2000 people working there for a decade and is situated on a motorway?

My sentiments exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

How on earth could they possibly think that there would be any infrastructure and accessibility issues at a plant that had nearly 2000 people working there for a decade and is situated on a motorway? And the worse thing is we the taxpayer fund these nutjobs.

I thought that too but the Leader has a reply from An Taisce. They were concerned that even though the city council has received €9 million for their Smarter Travel programme they had approved over 600 parking spaces in the site with no provision for walking/cycling.

Just the Post and that politician looking for headlines. An Taisce stressed that they absolutely had no problem with the factory, just the transport provision. To be honest I actually agree with them and if the company decide to pull out of the project for the sake of a couple of hundred parking spaces then they have too much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

sorry but tell that to the many walkers, cyclists, and lunch time runners in that industrial estate.

pigtown wrote: »
    I thought that too but the Leader has a reply from An Taisce. They were concerned that even though the city council has received €9 million for their Smarter Travel programme they had approved over 600 parking spaces in the site with no provision for walking/cycling.

Just the Post and that politician looking for headlines. An Taisce stressed that they absolutely had no problem with the factory, just the transport provision. To be honest I actually agree with them and if the company decide to pull out of the project for the sake of a couple of hundred parking spaces then they have too much money.

The 600 space car park, is the car park that's already there. Dell had around 1500 people a day working at the site with no issue, Regeneron will have 300.
    There are footpaths from the front door of the factory all the way around the estate.
    Also seeing as the exit is closer to the motorway than the rest of the estate I don't see how a cycle path from the car park to the roundabout is going to improve cyclist safety in the rest of the estate.
    This is An Taisce appealing for no other reason than to appeal. An appeal to ABP can delay a project for over a year, which means people being out of work for even longer.
    yankinlk wrote: »
    sorry but tell that to the many walkers, cyclists, and lunch time runners in that industrial estate.

What? People will be entering and leaving the carpark in numbers at the beginning and end of their shifts, not a lunch time. Also I worked there for 5 years and we regurlarly safely walked at lunchtime on the good wide network of footpaths that have been there for years.

This is An Taisce appealing for no other reason than to appeal. An appeal to ABP can delay a project for over a year, which means people being out of work for even longer.

No, this is An Taisce doing its job; assessing planning applications for many things including how they will affect the environment.

The Leader article isn't on line yet but I can summarise. Smarter Travel targets a reduction in private car usage from 51% to 37%. The planners had approved 685 parking spaces on site but agreed that this didn't comply with the smarter travel policy. They proposed a new mobility plan be submitted two months after planning is approved but An Taisce argues that this will be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

What? People will be entering and leaving the carpark in numbers at the beginning and end of their shifts, not a lunch time. Also I worked there for 5 years and we regurlarly safely walked at lunchtime on the good wide network of footpaths that have been there for years.

yeah we are saying the same thing. Limerick doesnt need a mobility plan, it needs jobs.

yankinlk wrote: »
    yeah we are saying the same thing. Limerick doesnt need a mobility plan, it needs jobs.
    Why not both?

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    No, this is An Taisce doing its job; assessing planning applications for many things including how they will affect the environment.

The Leader article isn't on line yet but I can summarise. Smarter Travel targets a reduction in private car usage from 51% to 37%. The planners had approved 685 parking spaces on site but agreed that this didn't comply with the smarter travel policy. They proposed a new mobility plan be submitted two months after planning is approved but An Taisce argues that this will be too late.

Have a look at the site on google maps. The parking spaces are already there. The footpath network is already there. Creating a 300m cycle path out to the roundabout will be pointless unless the council (not Regeneron) build cycle lanes all over the estate.

Advertisement