Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeworld & homeworld 2 hd remakes confirmed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    Now that is a collectors edition that i am definitely buying. Delighted it's finally getting re-released.

Shame there's no mention of Cataclysm though.

Which CE did you opt for as a matter of interest?

Personally I feel the die cast one loses its charm without the colour, even if it'd be the more solid of the two.

As for Cataclysm, I've not seen anything official from Gearbox about it but this little tidbit from a former Barking Dog guy was interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

gizmo wrote: »
    Which CE did you opt for as a matter of interest?

Personally I feel the die cast one loses its charm without the colour, even if it'd be the more solid of the two.

Same as myself. Needs to have the proper colour scheme of the Mothership. I just hope it's still pretty sturdy. Tbh, i'd probably buy both if i could.
    As for Cataclysm, I've not seen anything official from Gearbox about it but this little tidbit from a former Barking Dog guy was interesting.

It would be a shame if it wasn't included. It's a pretty important part of the Homeworld genre, and is definitely worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

according to that remastered site the release date could be autumn this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I always confuse Homeworld and Freespace.

I'd love a Freespace HD remake. I recall playing both games back in the day anyways.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I recently cleared Homeworld and Homeworld 2 (couldn't get Cata to work on Win 7), and they still hold up really well. The interface on the 1st isn't great, but still keeps me glued to it. The music in both as well is fantastic.

Would love to play them again with a full remastered version.
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I'd love a Freespace HD remake. I recall playing both games back in the day anyways.

We already have a Freespace HD remake. Freespace Open looks fantastic, with massively improved graphics and textures. Version 3.7 was released a few months back and looks amazing. Check out some of the Let's Play's for it on Youtube.

http://scp.indiegames.us/
    www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Opposing forces
    Brother in arms
    Halo (pc version)

Sorry for dragging up an old post Blitzkrieg. :)

The reason people are uneasy isn't because Gearbox haven't done some good games, it's that they've all been FPS games. They've never developed an RTS, never mind a 3D RTS. They've never designed this kind of game, never dealt with this kind of game engine requirements etc. Their first efforts are going to be with a dearly loved and long neglected IP, this could go so badly wrong.

They might make a wonderful game but, eh, yeah, I can't think of a single RTS player who wouldn't have been happier if Relic or someone else with an RTS pedigree got the rights to this (not that Relic seem to have the time tbh).

nesf wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old post Blitzkrieg. :)

The reason people are uneasy isn't because Gearbox haven't done some good games, it's that they've all been FPS games. They've never developed an RTS, never mind a 3D RTS. They've never designed this kind of game, never dealt with this kind of game engine requirements etc. Their first efforts are going to be with a dearly loved and long neglected IP, this could go so badly wrong.

They might make a wonderful game but, eh, yeah, I can't think of a single RTS player who wouldn't have been happier if Relic or someone else with an RTS pedigree got the rights to this (not that Relic seem to have the time tbh).
    Why worry at all though? All Gearbox are doing is releasing the untouched and a remastered versions of the originals, neither of which really require a large team of experienced RTS developers. They're also (possibly) giving fans a rather nice looking Collectors Edition to consider. All of which can be done at a profit for them since they picked up the IP for so cheap, thus allowing further investment in either new IP from Gearbox themselves or a new Homeworld title.

Insofar as a new Homeworld title goes at the moment, they've given the guys at Blackbird, a team made up of many of the original Homeworld team, the rights to use the IP on their new game. How well that does will probably have a bearing on the previous point. It's basically win win, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Insofar as a new Homeworld title goes at the moment, they've given the guys at Blackbird, a team made up of many of the original Homeworld team, the rights to use the IP on their new game. How well that does will probably have a bearing on the previous point. It's basically win win, no?

I hadn't heard this. :)

nesf wrote: »
    I hadn't heard this. :)
    Thread about it here :)

Advertisement