Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeworld & homeworld 2 hd remakes confirmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...

Gearbox has a good record working on Borderlands and **** record on anything else it puts its claws. I know, it looks like there is not much stuff to **** up in remake, but Gearbox always manages to surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*ignore* I got them mixed up with barking dog somehow
    Gearbox has a good record working on Borderlands and **** record on anything else it puts its claws. I know, it looks like there is not much stuff to **** up in remake, but Gearbox always manages to surprise me.

Opposing forces
    Brother in arms
    Halo (pc version)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I have no faith in gearbox to do this correctly

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    *ignore* I got them mixed up with barking dog somehow

Opposing forces
    Brother in arms
    Halo (pc version)

Did you see when the last time those games were launched? OpFor was good, but it was a short expansion on HL2. Brother in arms, matter of taste. Halo ( PC ) - that suppost to be good? How old is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Did you see when the last time those games were launched? OpFor was good, but it was a short expansion on HL2.

OpFor was the best expansion for HL1. Blue Shift was the other. Gearbox proved themselves back in the day with Cataclysm but lately they do have a bad record.

I won't go near the HD versions but I will get the untouched versions when they are out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH OpFor really wasn't all that great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    TBH OpFor really wasn't all that great either.

I loved it as I only got into PC gaming in 1999 and Half Life was amazing coming from the Playstation as a gamer at the time.

OpFor was the best expansion for HL1. Blue Shift was the other. Gearbox proved themselves back in the day with Cataclysm but lately they do have a bad record.

I won't go near the HD versions but I will get the untouched versions when they are out.

I look at company what it is now, not what it was 10 years ago. so far they prove more and more that they have great skills and ****ing up, if its not borderlands.

Huh right. I'm mighty confused.

I also thought gearbox did cataclysm and said in my original post that I was cautious cause cataclysm was actually really good. But when I was looking up gearbox's list of games on wiki cataclysm wasnt there and it says barking studios did cataclysm.

But so why do I keep thinking gearbox did it *scratches head* and clearly you do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

bizmark wrote: »
    I have no faith in gearbox to do this correctly

After the cheap cash-ins jobs of Alien:CM and Duke Nukem Forever you'd want to be naive to not at least be cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im just gonna hope they do it right and sure if they dont we always have Hardware from the original creators to look forward to

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im just gonna hope they do it right and sure if they dont we always have Hardware from the original creators to look forward to

whenever people talk of hardware I keep thinking of Hardwar...we need more games like hardwar :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f2xyTBSJOk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

looking forward to this, will buy both, even though i still have the originals around here somewhere. Glad to see they wont be altering the gameplay or story. Those were my primary concerns for the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im so happy about this, HW and HW2 are possibly one of my most played and favorited games.

Also, opens the door for HW3 if they do well. :)

just wanted to add, some of the original devs from HW and HW2 are involved in this project Hardware:Shipbreakers
    might be worth signing up for the beta, it's due around Q4 this year and if the teasers are anything to go by, it should be a pretty decent rts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks an awful like Homeworld.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Looks an awful like Homeworld.

time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,721 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

time will tell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Having just finished both original games (couldn't get Cataclysm to work on Win 8), they still hold up really well today. And not much would need to be changed on these, bar a graphical and possibly UI update (neither are essential, but it is a HD remake afterall). Soundtracks are still fantastic too. I'd forgotten how good the 2nd one was till i finished it recently. Fits perfectly with the game.

And if this leads to a possible Homeworld 3...happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...

Gearbox has a good record working on Borderlands and **** record on anything else it puts its claws.

Hey now, that's not true BL2 was a pretty good ****up of BL1s legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So it looks like classic Homeworld will come with the HD re-releases, not too shabby.
    Hey now, that's not true BL2 was a pretty good ****up of BL1s legacy.
    What kind of new crazy is this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I like to check in on this every now and again.

I spotted a blog post from the guy who I assume is in charge of Homeworld at Gearbox from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1075
    Hi! I’m Brian Burleson, the producer whose goal it is to preserve the heritage of the classic Homeworld series while also bringing it to the modern era.

Where do I begin? Well, one day I was in (Gearbox Chief Creative Officer) Brian Martel’s office talking about the existential nature of the Twinkie resurrection when he asked me what I thought about Homeworld. My response was something along the lines of, “I remember playing that when I was younger, loved it back in the day, way ahead of its time.” His response made me do a Scooby-Doo double take. THQ was putting the franchise up for auction and we were considering bidding on it.

How ridiculously awesome was that?

i read that one, seems like an awful lot of work has to go into it just to keep it the same but with polished HD awesomeness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

i read that one, seems like an awful lot of work has to go into it just to keep it the same but with polished HD awesomeness

Indeed.

Although you could be cynical about them I'd like to believe that the likes of this fella really did think the game was special and are earnest about doing it justice.

Ultimately it's going to come down to money. I'm not sure there's the player base to buy both the re-release and the HD remake in sufficient quantities for them to spend millions and millions on it.
    It's niche, very high learning curve and not widely known outside a core group of fans that played it before.

It'd happily spend 50 quid on 1 and 2 if the HD remakes were of good quality. I could just reinstall but I'd rather wait and see what they have come up with.

I'll be buying it anyway, At least the hd original

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry to drag up an old thread but whats the best expansion pack/mod for homeworld 2?

Will be travelling a bit of the next while so want to do some more gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

dammit. Thread bump got me excited about a HD release.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

quarryman wrote: »
    dammit. Thread bump got me excited about a HD release.

Sorry man :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Some details on what Gearbox are doing with the series have been posted here...

Homeworld Remastered

...including a survey on which CE people prefer.

Money being thrown at screen etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Now that is a collectors edition that i am definitely buying. Delighted it's finally getting re-released.

Shame there's no mention of Cataclysm though.

Advertisement