Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 Heatwave: observations and pros & cons.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Pro: I can actually get some study done now. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

cyclops999 wrote: »
    You've just described NIRVANA ;-)
    That was west Clare the last 10 days:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

zenno wrote: »
    Pros--- Sitting out in the back garden chilling with some really ice cold beers while listening to cafe cody from majorca spain, wearing just shorts.

Cons---neighbours who all of a sudden think you want to here their music when you're relaxing out your own garden, every fupping day. Wouldn't be too bad if they had good taste in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pros : Once or twice a decade we get a heatwave.

Cons: Once or twice a decade we get a heatwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Pro- Enjoying nice cold beers during the daytime

Con- The problems caused by drinking alcohol in the daytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Pros - psoriasis better than it has been since 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Biggest downside is without doubt all the needless drownings we get :(

Biggest plus is the mood of the nation is so much better generally.

Also I wish people would take home their rubbish home from the beach more :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,235 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sleep (or the lack of it) is a big issue imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sleep (or the lack of it) is a big issue imo.

Yeah it's ****ing awful, 5-6am before there's any chance of me nodding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pro good for economy

Con our Babas uncomfortable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Biggest downside is without doubt all the needless drownings we get :(

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Evelyn Cusack just announced on the 9 weather that Ardfert, Co. Kerry and a station in Connaught had the hottest temp of the heatwave/July of 30 degrees so they must have exceeded the regular stations (Oak Park etc). Valentia had the joint warmest July ever with records going back to 1893.

I was in Ardfert that day of the 30 readings and the heat was unlike anything I'd experienced in Ireland before. I hadn't felt a hot breeze like that since holidays in Greece a few years ago.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Moved to London on 3 July. 24c+ on all but one of the days since then, with the absolute highs in the 33-34c range. Have had to buy a lot of new work clothes because I had almost nothing appropriate for a real summer!

Sleep has been the biggest issue - several nights where the temperature was still in the mid 20s at midnight, including last night (it was still 30c at 10pm yesterday ffs!).

Public transport has been a bit nightmarish too - the Northern Line is bad enough at 5:30pm without adding very hot weather to the mix. Feel like I need a shower as soon as I get off it.

Pros? Fantastic weather for the (outdoor, unheated) lido near me, also a bit of sun puts everything in a good mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

ongarboy wrote: »
    Evelyn Cusack just announced on the 9 weather that Ardfert, Co. Kerry and a station in Connaught had the hottest temp of the heatwave/July of 30 degrees so they must have exceeded the regular stations (Oak Park etc). Valentia had the joint warmest July ever with records going back to 1893.

I was in Ardfert that day of the 30 readings and the heat was unlike anything I'd experienced in Ireland before. I hadn't felt a hot breeze like that since holidays in Greece a few years ago.

The July Summary is out and yes, Ardfert, (Liscahane), Co. Kerry with 30.3°C on the 19th
    Makes for wistful remembering ....

Pro: Coffee in the garden at 7AM in 20C sunshine
    Con: 22C at midnight & lack of sleep

Advertisement