Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 Heatwave: observations and pros & cons.

Options
  • 17-07-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Are we heading into a drought with the current weather conditions being so hot and dry? I heard on the news that the south east is especially likely to suffer.

Water levels in rivers, wells etc must be very low at this stage. We have our own well but we are really keeping an eye on water conservation.

Has anyone got any water issues yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Loobz wrote: »
    Are we heading into a drought with the current weather conditions being so hot and dry? I heard on the news that the south east is especially likely to suffer.

Water levels in rivers, wells etc must be very low at this stage. We have our own well but we are really keeping an eye on water conservation.

Has anyone got any water issues yet?

I was of the impression that the South East was already in "drought"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The southeast is worst hit. Poorly drained soil now needing 70-75mm at a time when the forecast is for temperatures to only increase over the next week with any real rain in the near future only coming in the form of potential thundershowers next week, which even though could be real downpours, would be confined to limited areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

pic.twitter.com/jV722tFBge

Place is burning up around here.

Met Eireann forecaster Joanna Donnelly revealed: “The south east of the country will be in drought from Thursday onwards, with the north west experiencing drought from the weekend or the early days of next week.

“We’re not going to have any rain for the foreseeable future. There’s no rain visible on the outlook charts for at least a week.

“There’s no sign of any after that either but we could have the odd shower.

It's a tabloid, but the quotes are from Met Eireann.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/news/5018607/Ah-here-leave-it-drought.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

RobertKK wrote: »
    pic.twitter.com/jV722tFBge

Place is burning up around here.

Yep my entire lawn, and all the lawns/greens around here that havent been watered are nearly entirely yellow and burnt.

Tis great, means I wont have to cut the grass for a while now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not aware of the Corpo getting concerned here (yet) and yep the lack of grass growth is a boon (ditto the hedges)! Obviously those with wells need to conserve, I recall us pretty much running out of water one summer in the sticks and having to fill a milk churn and sling it on the back of the car!

Poorly drained soil in the southeast now needing up to 82mm of rain.

zSFbjTC.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Grass growth on my farm is starting to suffer at the moment. Near limerick city.

-First summer to have such extensive dry conditions since 1995.
    -Most of the 19 primary rainfall recording stations went into “absolute drought” on Thursday evening (15 consecutive days where rainfall is less than 0.1mm).

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/absolute-drought-across-island-by-this-evening-met-eireann-says-1.1468056

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have seen some blanket bogs here in Kerry dry so much that they have started to split open in the heat, apparently the last time this happened in my locality was 1909

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Poorly drained soil in the southeast now needing up to 82mm of rain.

zSFbjTC.gif

What exactly does this mean? Is it that even soils that don't drain well need 82mm? In this context, what does it mean to say that they 'need' rain?

andrew wrote: »
    What exactly does this mean? Is it that even soils that don't drain well need 82mm? In this context, what does it mean to say that they 'need' rain?

Poorly drained soil is ground that drains water at slow rates. When I said "needs" I mean the chart shows that area needs up to 82mm of rain to bring the soil moisture content back up to field capacity. Above field capacity then would be a surplus. So it shows just how little moisture is in the soil there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There are a few effects that haven't been seen on this island for many years.
    Brown lawns, sagging service lines and melting tar mac. Not to mention rivers and streams down to their bare bones.
    What other effects have you noticed? And how has this spell been treating you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Brings scumbags out in their droves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

the complete lack of understanding that your tshirt should stay on when off the beach and especially in places where food is served. had the misfortune of witnessing in a coffee shop a fifty something aul fella who felt necessary to lounge on a black plastic sofa like it was his own living room, gets up and leaves...the sweat was literally rolling down into the cushions for a few minutes.

other than that its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

keith16 wrote: »
    Brings scumbags out in their droves.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pros - the sun, BBQs, shorts t shirts and flip flops all day every day, lovely evenings

Cons - lack of sleep(when humid), flies in the house, effect on lawn/plants

But I think it's fair to say the pros far outweigh the cons :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Yep, it's very tough on dogs. If you walk barefoot on tarmac or concrete that's been heated by the day's sun, you get to feel how painful it must be for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I will be an alcoholic if this weather continues, if your irish you just have to have a beer outside in good weather we feel compelled to do it! Waistline will need to be reigned back in as well BBQ food beginning to take its toll!!

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I will be an alcoholic if this weather continues, if your irish you just have to have a beer outside in good weather we feel compelled to do it! Waistline will need to be reigned back in as well BBQ food beginning to take its toll!!
    Salads.
    Not something terribly appetising in January but nice in this weather.

• Advertisement

pro: the ease of getting dressed, throw on a pair of shorts and that'll do (for men, that is).
    con: white legs, shorts and black socks.

con: bluebottles.
    pro: the fly swatter - the satisfying thwack ending that horrible high pitched drone = result.
    The last place that beastie visited before appearing in your kitchen is not a pleasant thought and most unhygienic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was expecting flies to be a much bigger issue that has been the case. Dunno if they just like to give me a wide berth or if the cold "Spring" killed most of them before they were born. Although its been a dry year overall in Waterford my back garden had become so saturated by the previous X years of damp cool crap this mega dry hot period has been a boon. Even the squishiest part is now officially hard ground.

The related lack of grass and hedge growth is also welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Pros--- Sitting out in the back garden chilling with some really ice cold beers while listening to cafe cody from majorca spain, wearing just shorts.

cons--- Very hard to sleep in the humidity. Running out of beer, flies, lack of ice-cubes in the fridge.

Strangely enough, every previous summer without fail i have always been bitten badly by mosquitoes, but this summer i haven't got one bite from them which is a pro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Very few mozzies and flies this year alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nor40

just to let you know in
    wexford its bad aswell I haven't heard a lawnmower going in over 5 weeks now its so dry peoples lawns are burned away completely yellow and people are drowning their plants and trees with water every evening I am not complaining or anything about this dry spell but I am just wondering would this dry spell effect next years growth of our lovely plants and shrubs the lawns are also cracking aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Long may it last, I hate cutting the grass, I have nearly 2acres to mow between my own and my mums house, PITH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Profusion of wildflowers, butterflies, ladybirds, the scent of hot resin from the forests and hay from the meadows, the sound of pine cones snapping open, magnificent sunsets and the large summer moon, the enjoyment of a refreshing dip in the Atlantic, hot sand, kids actually being able to enjoy the summer holidays outdoors and away from the tv and the ability to enjoy good salads and appreciate a glass of ice cold bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Profusion of wildflowers, butterflies, ladybirds, the scent of hot resin from the forests and hay from the meadows, the sound of pine cones snapping open, magnificent sunsets and the large summer moon, the enjoyment of a refreshing dip in the Atlantic, hot sand, kids actually being able to enjoy the summer holidays outdoors and away from the tv and the ability to enjoy good salads and appreciate a glass of ice cold bulmers.

You've just described NIRVANA ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Pros- Lots of BBQ's

Cons- Hay fever, lack of sleep, flies, BO of people you pass in the street, constantly sweating even with the windows open, can't enjoy my cuppa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Pros:

Good tan
    Grass needs cutting less
    We have sat outside 5 different evenings and had lunch/dinner.
    Everyone is in a better mood.
    Saves heating oil/coal.

Cons:

It is spoiling us for when the 'normal' wet weather returns.

Advertisement