Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Recon.

Options
  • 19-07-2013 12:54am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was out today again with the shotgun. Most places were quite, and it's just a matter of waiting for the cutting to start (this Saturday/Sunday hopefully).

While it was quite i decided to do some driving. Usual spots i go to for deer to see how things are going. Now i did not get pictures as the young lad broke my phone the other, but i'll be out again in the next few days so hopefully will get some then.

I went to one of my favorite spots. I wasn't disappointed. While nestled into a small hedgerow i noticed movement on the far hillside. Got out the binos an watched as 7 lovely fallow came out of the wood into the open. One was nursing a young fawn. I decided to wait a while, and sure enough another 5 deer followed in the next 5 minutes. 4 more does, and a nice size Buck.

As i was watching them more movement caught my eye and in the field below them another 4 fallow does came out. All of them grazing happily. After 20 minutes i decided to go on and leave them at it.

I hit three more spots and all in all i spotted a further 15 deer, 4 goats a nice number of large pheasants. Some were spotted in areas i hadn't seen deer in a while so good see it.

Might be a bit early but anyone else out checking out spots? How are numbers looking?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

Good report. When I got my letter from a farmer for renewal there was 6 fallow out. Too far to notice what sex they were but there was definatly 2 does and 2 fawns as they were feeding very close and big difference in size comparision. Another permission has at least 40 fallow out at one time feeding in the eveningon 70 acres but I didn't get round to going for a look myself. Just a report from the land owner. When I go i'll take pictures. All brown fallow in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sikahuntejack

Checked out a spot in wicklow seeen 2 nice sika stags and 7 does with some fawns plenty of deer around now come september its hide and seek with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I'm planing on heading to my permission over the weekend for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DEMOLISHER

long time looker first time poster..:D
    seen few fallow out on fields alloy lately were I shoot myself nice to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I'm planing on heading to my permission over the weekend for a look.

PICTURES........

please

• Advertisement

DEMOLISHER wrote: »
    long time looker first time poster..:D
    seen few fallow out on fields alloy lately were I shoot myself nice to see them

Welcome to the asylum.

I put a call into the farmer today and told him ill be prowling around. Not bother work away he said so I may put in a bit of recon and start dissing out positions to shoot and travel on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was out again yesterday and saw a further 7 absoutely lovely Fallow deer. 4 Does and 3 young Bucks/príckets.

The one thing i've noticed is they are very healthy looking deer. Bright, clean coats, and all seem in great condition.

I tried taking photos with my "repaired" camera phone. It took the pictures, and one i had of a bird i nicked at 117 yards with the .22lr. However when i got home none of the pictures i took were on the phone. Not sure what has happened, but when i tried taking pictures at home the phone is taking them, but not saving them. So obviously not repaired. Think i have an actual camera somewhere so will try dig it out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sikahuntejack

Great to hear the deer are looking healty with a summer like this plenty of food around there will be some fat stags shot this september cant wait for it freezer empty except for magpies ans grey crows

Pictures. Theres still lots of areas walking with deer, thats only a small herd in one area of the field

The last pic looks like a fairly big stag

• Advertisement

The last pic looks like a fairly big stag
    He wasn't a bad size. That picture was taken in January. He was out of season thats why he was safe for the pose. He has narrow palms/fish tale so I guess he's a 4 year old tops. Black Fallow buck. Pitty there was grass in front of scope causing shadows. He was 200 yards away or there abouts. The rest of the pictures was taken Friday. No bucks all black and brown fallow does and fawns. Its good to see them

Up on my permission today. Holy god there was some rain very hard to see much. But on the road I could see plenty of ****e were there were crossing the road. I could also see where they were cutting up the ground when jumping the fences.

Farmer told me he counted 17 deer in one field the other morning.

Role on the first ill hopefully be up there next week again myself and hopefully I can get a better picture of what way they are moving up there from and two and all that crack.

Role on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

seen these most evenings and mornings when going and coming home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

Does anyone else notice this. But is,nt it amazing the amount of deer you see when your not carrying a rifle. Now don,t panic lads, im not talking about this time of year. anyway, im convinced that when someone is hunting they give off some sort of vibes [apart from sent] that the deer pick up on. You could be out walking your permissions with no gun and they walk out in front of you. One time i was out [no gun] doing a bit of recon and i lay across some heather to glass the side of a hill and nearly s**t meself when heather started to move and out jumps a sika hind, she must have nearly s**t herslf aswell because she was in the next county before i knew what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

I know what you mean. Was out the other day brought the 270 for a walk wanted to see how my new scope felt and to size up some permissions with it. Saw 11 deer in 2 hours and could have if i wanted to shot 5 of them with no more than lifting the rifle to my shoulder. Mostly does and calf's.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

can anyone tell me while walking my permission i only see hinds and calfs but never stags

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭steyrman

ferrete wrote: »
    can anyone tell me while walking my permission i only see hinds and calfs but never stags

Hi your in a good position with hinds and calfs on your permission as the stags will travel for the rut you should see prickets or yearlings with the hinds watch them . I have a spot i never see stags in just a few hinds with calfs but before the rut starts the just turn up i tend to shoot just a few prickets not to pushed about stags and hinds later on

I was out on the permission last nite again holy Jesus there is some rough ground out there. These 6 were out early enough. They weren't ony permission but were on the land beside me which they normaly call over from there. im in between to forestrys and a river so they are frequently crossing. On the way back up my permission I seen a hind and calf and then seen a hind on her own.

B3609E05-E24A-4690-9ACA-D2A721414763-2576-000003036DE0B7F6_zps396ad09d.jpg

Just had to include this picture it was a lovely view lads that's what it's all about. Pity I couldn't get the whole picture in the camera wasn't wide enough.

C8A48FD3-95E0-46A9-B031-E5F3FAF8179E-2576-0000030382C58475_zpsda0248de.jpg

Then the moon was out and things was very quite. A little bit freaky I have to admit. After all I was out in the middle of nowhere.

Called In to another farmer and was happy to see me. He asked for a copy of my insurance and he will think about it. So I can't ask for anymore than that I suppose.

Back up on the permission this evening. I was standing with in about 30 yards of 2 sika. I was walking away when I though I seem something on my right. Didn't pay much attention and stayed moving it was about 21:10 and was getting prity hard to see anything. I noticed it again and stoped. Oh shot to deer down on my belly looking at them for a couple of mins. I tryed to take my phone out for a picture and they bolted.

I hung around the for a while and I listened to the hind calling her calf for about 15 mins.

Incredibly hard to see they two there to tonite with the trees on there back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DEMOLISHER

any good size stags been seen , see plenty prickets any there mud fat last few outings

• Advertisement
Advertisement