Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Rabbitte abused and intimidated in Donehy & Nesbitts

Options
  • 18-07-2013 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

What do we make of this?

It's not the first time PR was angrily confronted while having some down-time in a public place, but this must have been a bit more intimidating given the number of people, and the calibre of the "protesters" (Eirigi members).

Rabbitte's response is good:
    Mr Rabbitte also noted that the protesters had missed an opportunity while confronting him.

He told RTE’s Pat Kenny programme that “the funny thing was that he missed the real focus of his protest - the troika were upstairs,” he said. Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin was also in the pub at a function for officials from the European Central Bank, European Commission and the International Monetary Fund when the incident occurred. Minister for Finance Michael Noonan joined the event later.

I must drink in Donehy & Nesbitt more often :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

What a pathetic effort at a protest. Answers the question why more Irish people don't take to the streets. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

But how many of them are on welfare (which hasn't been cut only because of Labour)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

But how many of them are on welfare (which hasn't been cut only because of Labour)?
    At least one.

"We're payin' your fcuking wages".

Clearly a senior Eirigi strategist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Well, as the saying goes, there is something rotten in the state of Denmark, the recent years have demonstrated the cost of unbridled corruption/incompetence, that cost is causing great stress and anger, the fact that this is the only "protest" the politicians are being subjected is to our collective shame...

This government had a huge opportunity to change politics, and the perception of politicians, they failed miserably, they could have slashed politicians pay (if only for the term of this government) had they done so they would have immediately established moral authority which would have isolated these types of protest, but they didn't...bear in mind politicians don't just earn their basic pay, they save it, every dinner/lunch/drink they consume is expensed, a politician could easily put away €500,000 over a 5 year term (not to mention pension entitlements)...not much austerity in those households...

There is no argument, this protest was in poor taste...but try as I might I can't seem to condemn them, I will keep trying but I am firmly in the anti establishment camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

We're they really chanting towards the end,
    "Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit, Run Run Run"

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst there such be more open and transparent dialogue between Executive and public, such a confrontation scene (and I'm truly not an admirer of Mr. Rabitte) does not lend itself to a proper discourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Albert X

They have made huge cuts to welfare, Back to school allowance cut 50% in two years, communion allowance abolished, Child benifit cut €10, respite grant cut €400, 60% cut in income disregard for single parents and widows. fuel allowance cut €120 per year. Telephone and ESB allowance cut for oaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Manach wrote: »
    Whilst there such be more open and transparent dialogue between Executive and public, such a confrontation scene (and I'm truly not an admirer of Mr. Rabitte) does not lend itself to a proper discourse.

Have to agree with you Manach. Personally, I can't stand Mr. Rabbitte but the "protest" in that video was shambolic. Absolutely nothing construction in it. Mr. Rabbitte handled the whole thing very well to be fair to him.

I always thought that Eirigi was made up of idiots teenagers. By the sounds of that videos, it is unemployed old fellas who have sawdust for brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Disgusting as far as I am concerned, the man should be allowed to have his drink or whatever in peace. There is too much of that yobbish thuggery in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Disgusting as far as I am concerned, the man should be allowed to have his drink or whatever in peace. There is too much of that yobbish thuggery in Ireland.

While being paid to be In the dail?

Nowonder the country's ****ed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

It's a real pity there isn't a more generalized protest movement about, that doesn't cater to some idiotic fringe group, which attracts the types of protestors, who dissuade everyone else from protesting due to fear of association.

Are there any groups like that out there? I haven't exactly looked hard, but the more prominent/vocal groups seem to be these fringe ones.

It's a pretty big glaring absence.

It's a real pity there isn't a more generalized protest movement about, that doesn't cater to some idiotic fringe group, which attracts the types of protestors, who dissuade everyone else from protesting due to fear of association.

The existence of these fringe groups is actually doing the government a massive favor. These fringe groups turn the respectable majority off protesting. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead protesting on such matters but I am sure that there are thousands out there who would attend protests if these groups were not present.

I have never heard of any generalized protest group in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That essentially why people are not willing to associate with thinly disguised "vanguard" protest groups. I don't have much time for any Labour politician, and I don't have much positive to say about Rabbitte (though I admire the way he handled it there: didn't get rattled, didn't run, didn't get involved with them) but the behavior in the video is vulgar and crude and embarrassing to anyone who would associate with it. I would say it demeans the protesters themselves, but they are Eirigi and I presume if there is a floor to dignity they found it a while ago.

I also don't see Eirigi as offering any alternative. They simply wish it was they who were carving up the spoils of the state for the benefit of them and their mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

No fan of pat myself.

However. I felt the man handled it well, and I'll go out on a limb here to say any politician should be off limits while off duty.

The fact he went back to D.E is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

It always makes me laugh how people stand around with banners that say stuff like "reverse the cuts" etc.....without cuts and savings we'd all be a lot worse off than we are now... what happens when the govt dont cut costs and they have no money to pay the Dole??..yes that's right...skangers riot in the streets and loot/steal what they need..it's a game of numbers and we are unfortunately on the wrong side of it.

While FG/L have caused a lot of financial pain it is necessary if we want to get back to any sort of good times

People should not be fooled by SF, ULA and FF and their opposition to cuts...opposition is a great place to be in the Dail in times like these...oppose everything but offer and follow through on nothing.

While being paid to be In the dail?

Nowonder the country's ****ed!

No matter where he was to be, it is no excuse for the thuggery and intimidation. The country was ****ed by the other lot, blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

COYW wrote: »
    Have to agree with you Manach. Personally, I can't stand Mr. Rabbitte but the "protest" in that video was shambolic. Absolutely nothing construction in it. Mr. Rabbitte handled the whole thing very well to be fair to him.

I always thought that Eirigi was made up of idiots teenagers. By the sounds of that videos, it is unemployed old fellas who have sawdust for brains.

ah yes, the good old Irish way, sneer at people protesting against the government's abysmal performance, then whinge into you're pint about 'the establishment'.

The truth is, the gubberment will not act in the interest of the public until they are scared into it.

No matter where he was to be, it is no excuse for the thuggery and intimidation. The country was ****ed by the other lot, blame them.

can you honestly not see what this current crowd in power are doing? I really despair for Ireland, its a beautiful country and it's my home, but by God there is such an apathy amongst the public, so very sad to see. Every day my romantic notion of moving home someday is further eroded, its simply too frustrating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Fianna fail are a party of crooks and liars, but fine Gael are continuing there policy's of screwing the people for everything they can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

lufties wrote: »
    The truth is, the gubberment will not act in the interest of the public until they are scared into it.

They are, you just think they aren't because they're not pandering to you. They're going a lot slower than I'd like with reforming the SW system and other issues, but they are getting it done as fast as can be done because of muppets like these "protesters".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think this is disgraceful to be honest, and really the "protesters" come across as nothing more than a bunch of clueless knackers and scumbags.

Do they even know what they're protesting any more? "Shame on you, Shame on you"... I'd love actually one of them to sit down and address what it is precisely he should be ashamed of? I can assure you they would get very tongue tied very quickly if asked to address one policy or issue to be ashamed of...

I don't enjoy these public witch hunts, even for the most incompetant of them all, Brian Cowen, I felt the personal attacks, particularly whilst out of office, were of poor taste.

But certainly, if you're going to attack someone, attack the cause of the problem, not the people trying to be the solution. As someone here said, Labour really are the counter balance to Fine Gael, and ironically, are the ones stopping the drastic cuts that are needed, so unless this is a double bluff and they are protesting about not enough cuts (which is unlikely) then they're basically all just a bunch of hot air balloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Prof. Armitage Shanks

A shower of brainless republican Idiots hassling a senior politician who was in the pub drinking pints instead of being in the DAIL at a debate on Garda Reform.

Only in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I listened to an interview one of the protesters gave on radio last night which went up on youtube- before the protest in the pub- pat rabbitte was approached and asked simple straight forward questions- when will you reply to questions I put to you in emails? when will the bankers be jailed? Im sure lot of people are asking the same question after the anglo tapes revelation- what did pat do? did he try answering? no he just smiled at the protester-when a politician like rabbitte just smiles at someone who airs valid questions and concerns what else can be expected but only to protest in loud fashion to try get a point across- Im expecting someone will say email politicans most of the time emails get ignored- or someone to say protest outside their clinics- most of the time they are never there in their clinics-I have no sympathy none zero whatsoever for the protest pat rabbitte endured the other night- labour told lies pre election- we wont increase student fees- student fees have increased- we wont cut child benefit- labour voted to cut chilld benefit in the last budget- when pat was questioned on breaking that pre election promises he replied isnt that what you do during an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Am Chile wrote: »
    ...when will the bankers be jailed?
    That's not a simple question. It's a stupid question and it doesn't deserve a response. The Irish government (thankfully) does not have the power to jail people.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Albert X wrote: »
    They have made huge cuts to welfare, Back to school allowance cut 50% in two years, communion allowance abolished, Child benifit cut €10, respite grant cut €400, 60% cut in income disregard for single parents and widows. fuel allowance cut €120 per year. Telephone and ESB allowance cut for oaps.
    huge cuts :pac:

antoobrien wrote: »
    They are, you just think they aren't because they're not pandering to you. They're going a lot slower than I'd like with reforming the SW system and other issues, but they are getting it done as fast as can be done because of muppets like these "protesters".

Anglo Tapes, job creation, shambles of a health system, lies and spin, cuts upon cuts, even when the IMF has stated austerity isn't working..well thankfully I don't live there in fascist Ireland, but unfortunately my parents and siblings do.

can you honestly not see what this current crowd in power are doing?

Whilst I do not agree with everything that the current crowd is doing, much of it is necessary after the vast excesses of the past. I cannot comprehend how people thought that there would be /is not a price to pay for all the glut under FF. The plus side is that Ireland will be able to go to the markets in the autumn, one more troika visit, the business property sector appears to be on the up, with construction as well to boot. Enda Kenny says the last tough budget will be 2014. Slight room for optimism?

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0717/3563877-value-of-commercial-property-sales-expected-to-double-this-year/

ah yes, the good old Irish way, sneer at people protesting against the government's abysmal performance, then whinge into you're pint about 'the establishment'.

Calling that effort "protesting" is a bit much. Anyone who doesn't laugh and cringe with embarrassment needs to take a look at themselves. If you believe that confronting someone in a bar and screaming rubbish like ("traitor", "run rabbitte" etc from what I gathered) is going to change things you are deluded. The only way to change things, is if you give your vote to someone else at election time.

Was Pat Rabbitte upset in any way by the protest, in your opinion? Do you believe that he ran back to the Dail, called an emergency meeting and announced that everything has to change? Contrary to left wing hysteria, TDs do live among the general population and are aware of the general dis-satisfaction that exists out there.
    lufties wrote:
    Anglo Tapes, job creation, shambles of a health system, lies and spin, cuts upon cuts, even when the IMF has stated austerity isn't working..well thankfully I don't live there in fascist Ireland, but unfortunately my parents and siblings do.

Calling the Rep. of Ireland a fascist country is an awful slur to those who live or have lived in fascist dictatorships. Completely OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...shambles of a health system...
    I'm guessing you've never availed of health care services in a developing country?

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'm guessing you've never availed of health care services in a developing country?

Lived in Malaysia for a while, their system is pretty good..They are not third world of course, but could be considered a developing country.

Advertisement