Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour burning rubbish

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

djpbarry wrote: »
    Burning rubbish isn't exactly a trivial issue. The noxious fumes given off by burning plastics can cause serious health issues - plenty of carcinogens in there.

That part of my post that you have quoted was in reference to the rest of my post...which you "forgot" to include..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

enricoh wrote: »
    Big issue on my road is black bags being dumped n ditches becoming dams. I reckon when getting the dole in the post office a fiver of it should be a coupon for the bin, would solve a lot

Are you suggesting that only people on the dole are guilty of dumping rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

Are you suggesting that only people on the dole are guilty of dumping rubbish.

no, but i'd reckon at least half the rubbish is dumped by people on the dole. if u took a fiver off the dole n changed it too a coupon for a bin they would use the bin instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

no, but i'd reckon at least half the rubbish is dumped by people on the dole. if u took a fiver off the dole n changed it too a coupon for a bin they would use the bin instead.

A persons upbringing and attitude has alot to do with it.

Regardless of whether a person works or is unemployed.

So lets get away from this carry on now of bring the dole into it.

Im sure theres another forum for silly stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

no, but i'd reckon at least half the rubbish is dumped by people on the dole.
    [MOD] Keep your prejudiced opinions to yourself please. [/MOD]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

djpbarry wrote: »
    [MOD] Keep your prejudiced opinions to yourself please. [/MOD]

I spent a day in court about two years ago and maybe a quarter of all cases were for dumping rubbish. The majority of the people were on welfare as this seemed to be the sole mitigating reason for it.
    I also believe that any fines should be deducted from the dole payments instead of wasting guards time bringing them to prison for an hour. Dunno if thats prejudiced or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I spent a day in court about two years ago and maybe a quarter of all cases were for dumping rubbish. The majority of the people were on welfare as this seemed to be the sole mitigating reason for it.
    [MOD] Meaningless anecdotes are meaningless.

Back on-topic please.[/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

if u took a fiver off the dole n changed it too a coupon for a bin they would use the bin instead.
    Its a good idea, although some might start selling/trading the coupons, the coupons themselves becoming a form of money.
    I've noticed myself during my travels that in low income households there is often an open fireplace with lots of burnt plastic stuck to the grate.
    These are people who can't afford to run a central heating system, and their normal way of staying warm is to burn coal. Throwing in the rubbish on top of the coal kills two birds with one stone for them. Heat and waste disposal in one.

At the same time, you won't find many of them involved in tax evasion or white collar crime. They have different priorities and different opportunities for "bad behaviour" than wealthier people, but on the whole that doesn't mean they are any less honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I think most things are covered already but you could report a fire, take the sim card out of your phone so you won't be charged for the call [for the fire brigade call out] if they do find the fire, they will extinguish it and your neighbour will have at least a €200 call out fee and the chief will pass on a file to the DPP.

Keep in mind that one can burn garden refuse, but not household and not in a smokeless zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭ratracer

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I think most things are covered already but you could report a fire, take the sim card out of your phone so you won't be charged for the call [for the fire brigade call out] if they do find the fire, they will extinguish it and your neighbour will have at least a €200 call out fee and the chief will pass on a file to the DPP.

Everything about this post is wrong. The caller is never charged for calling the fire brigade, so why bother taking out the sim card. Fire chiefs do not refer anything to the DPP. And why the hell would you waste the fire brigades time when they are not required, its as wasteful as a hoax call.

ratracer wrote: »
    Everything about this post is wrong. The caller is never charged for calling the fire brigade, so why bother taking out the sim card. Fire chiefs do not refer anything to the DPP. And why the hell would you waste the fire brigades time when they are not required, its as wasteful as a hoax call.

The caller is required to give name, address and phone number. There are a number of charges that can be brought.

The Chief can make a report, and it's his decision. I've been through this myself having reported what turned out to be copper retrieval burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭ratracer

The caller is required to give name, address and phone number. There are a number of charges that can be brought.

The Chief can make a report, and it's his decision. I've been through this myself having reported what turned out to be copper retrieval burning.

You are asked for you're name, address and number. The caller is not charged for the callout. The reason you are asked for your number is for verification. With the sim card in the operator already knows you're number. The number is also given to the responding fire station, who may use it to obtain further imformation/ directions etc from the caller. A chief fire officer can report false/nuisance calls to the gardai. They decide if it is referred to the DPP, not the chief fire officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

name number and details are the first thing taken for all emergency services in case the caller is cut off also,
    not for billing use

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would they extinguish a controlled fire on private property? Also not sure where the OP is based, but Cork City FB have no call out charges - source: Cork City Fire Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would they extinguish a controlled fire on private property? Also not sure where the OP is based, but Cork City FB have no call out charges - source: Cork City Fire Officer.

all depends if there is danger or risk of spread,
    for controlled burning ur meant to contact the council and warden which will give a burning permit and also notify fire service of where ur burning,
    this covers garden or farm burning not rubbish

Advertisement