Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour burning rubbish

Options
  • 18-07-2013 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

What to do about this,
    A person that lives near me is burning rubbish, I thought at first it was a bbq and maybe they either burned some plastic by accident or just lobbed something on as a once off, but its happened a few times since I first noticed, with the still air the plastic burning smell is really obvious and sickly, I cant leave the windows open despite the heat once they start burning as the stuff must be smouldering away, smell fills the backgarden too, I cant understand why they dont just get their rubbish removed. Id turn a blind eye (nose) to it if it was wood/leaves or even paper as I know a lot of people would say just mind my own business but its difficult to ignore, it smells poisonous.

They have moved in only recently, prior to them the people that rented there had a lot of rubbish in the backgarden and there was a problem with mice AND rats were seen also.
    It seems previous tenants had no arrangement to have their rubbish removed and now this is continuing with the new tenants.

If I approach them first and they tell me to get lost and end up having to report them then they will know who reported them,
    In my experience from what I have seen, people are not receptive to being asked not to do something that they consider makes things more difficult for them, Im considering reporting them outright?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Climb in tonight, and put a few bangers into the ashes where they light the fire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You can notify the EPA or your local authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

Macha wrote: »
    You can notify the EPA or your local authority.

Ok, Thanks, I might try the EPA, maybe they can pressure the council to do something.
    I tried the council before when that house had a lot of rubbish in the garden with a previous tenant, there was a lot of rodents around the place, if it wasn't for the stray cats around the place I think it could have been worse.

Then, the council seemed only to make excuses as to why they couldn't deal with it, even though I told them that it was a health issue, they fobbed me off to the HSE where I was given the run around and told to go to the council.
    They aren't even directly beside me, and I dont want to deal with this but it seems to getting regular, if it happens again, I'll follow up with the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The epa is a waste of time, so can the council be, but that is the route to take , contact the Environment section and keep doing so. you may need to then make a complaint about the section not taking action and then on to the ombudsman!

see this:

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/BackyardBurning/

and this:

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/ComplaintsandEnforcement/EnvironmentalEnforcement/

if phone calls are not getting it done then you need to do letters and copy then to councillors, etc.

Oldtree wrote: »
    The epa is a waste of time, so can the council be, but that is the route to take , contact the Environment section and keep doing so. you may need to then make a complaint about the section not taking action and then on to the ombudsman!

see this:

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/BackyardBurning/

and this:

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/ComplaintsandEnforcement/EnvironmentalEnforcement/

if phone calls are not getting it done then you need to do letters and copy then to councillors, etc.

Thanks for the information, I thought the EPA might be too far, but as an idea just to push the council to act.
    I knew burning garden waste was not legal, if it was a one off I would ignore it it was leaves but its obviously plastics. On one occasion they seemed to have a bbq but they were clearly burning plastics. I do not know if they were really having a bbq or were just covering trying to burn their rubbish or if they were foolish enough to burn plastics while they were bbqing food.
    I dont understand what saving they thing they are making, but we cannot leave the windows open, go into the backgarden or leave clothes out when this is happening, it is a sickly odour that gets into your throat and it seems clear that it is poisonous.

I cant understand why they dont just compost the green waste and use their green bin, there are a number of services available to them as there are us. I use my brown bin to get rid of all green waste and vegetable matter, its like a composter, I keep putting stuff in and it keeps dissappearing, it only goes out twice a year to top it all, the green bin for plastics is free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

This is happening quite a lot. I live in the middle of Dun Laoghaire and the toxic fumes caused by this is atrocious. For this reason, I advocate that EVERYONE should pay something at least for waste collection and this might alleviate this hideous problem.

Chinasea wrote: »
    This is happening quite a lot. I live in the middle of Dun Laoghaire and the toxic fumes caused by this is atrocious. For this reason, I advocate that EVERYONE should pay something at least for waste collection and this might alleviate this hideous problem.

The thing is there are a number of options for waste removal around here, I think it should be the case that every area has to have at least two waste collection operators for every area so there is choice.

Its possible to use it very economically by managing your plastics and paper if you flatten and compact it down, I dont want to see some standard charge for waste really as I think those that create/cause it should pay for its removal.
    I think the only way to limit it anyway is, pay a small charge for recycling on purchase, not that I want to see that really either.
    depending on the packaging and how recyleable it is the only way I can see consumers demanding a change to reducing the amount of packaging used, that or leaving it with the retailer or disposing of it themselves for free afterwards, Its free to dispose of anyway, which is why I dont get it.
    I have to assume as people would have to have an account to pay for the removal of all their other waste to avail of free green waste removal, they dont want to pay for this, it is not possible to be completely waste free, so I can only imagine what they are doing with the rest.
    I havent noticed it lately but there is a bad problem with fly tipping also and it peaks every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Chinasea wrote: »

Was that not how it worked back in the 80s and 70s but everythings privatised now so its not taxable. You pay for EPA and council to sort this out with paye,.property tax,.rates,.prsi, and every other tax you can think of.

MOTM wrote: »
    Was that not how it worked back in the 80s and 70s but everythings privatised now so its not taxable. You pay for EPA and council to sort this out with paye,.property tax,.rates,.prsi, and every other tax you can think of.

The EPA will play pass the parcel with you, and inform you they have contacted the council. Keep after the council via councilors and ministers thence the ombudsman and be prepared for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I had same issue and contacted the local litter warden, he passed it to the relevant person and a housecall was made to the offender and problem solved.

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    I had same issue and contacted the local litter warden, he passed it to the relevant person and a housecall was made to the offender and problem solved.

A proactive council :eek: u lucky person u :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

uch wrote: »

I know a bloke who reported someone, who then got a visit........a day later, a brick went thru his bathroom window..........

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I know a bloke who reported someone, who then got a visit........a day later, a brick went thru his bathroom window..........

So what you are saying is, you dont approve of reporting people?

Its reasonable to report someone instead of approaching them if thats the kind of response they give, if they are poisoning every neighbour with burning plastic,
    Sneaking around and throwing bricks through someones window is not reasonable, what if there was someone on the other side of that window and got hit with the brick? I can tell you I would approach no authority to resolve that problem, Id be runnign down the street after them.

sungear wrote: »
    So what you are saying is, you dont approve of reporting people?

Its reasonable to report someone instead of approaching them if thats the kind of response they give, if they are poisoning every neighbour with burning plastic,
    Sneaking around and throwing bricks through someones window is not reasonable, what if there was someone on the other side of that window and got hit with the brick? I can tell you I would approach no authority to resolve that problem, Id be runnign down the street after them.

grand so........good luck with that

The reason that our water/air/environment is so polluted is?..........:rolleyes:
    The reason we are in in the EU courts for not protecting our people's environment is? :rolleyes:
    The reason that we are paying heavy daily fines to the EU is?:rolleyes:
    et al......

grand so........good luck with that
    such a helpful post :rolleyes:

such a helpful post :rolleyes:

what do you want, some people can't be informed or forewarned, all I'm saying is you got to be careful if you grass people up nowadays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

A proactive council :eek: u lucky person u :D
    That's reactive. They responded to a report they received after the event.

what do you want, some people can't be informed or forewarned, all I'm saying is you got to be careful if you grass people up nowadays

I thought you were relaying a story that occurred, but advocating it also?

I dont consider that grassing someone up though, where would we draw the line between legitimate complaint and grassing someone up?
    A response as you mention are the exact reason reports of this nature should be allowed to be anonymous and with good reason.

I also saw a neighbour and Ive heard people relate similar events to me regarding it a number of times, people pouring engine oil down the drain or pouring it onto green spaces, its the same thing, its poisonous, its harmful or at least has the potential to harm others and the environment. It is also accepted for free at recycling centres, I assume to prevent people disposing of in other ways it as its so hazardous, yet people still dispose of it inappropriately.
    Do you consider reporting that also grassing someone up? or are you happy to have hazardous pollutants get permanantly into the watertable, rivers, and the air that can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Big issue on my road is black bags being dumped n ditches becoming dams. I reckon when getting the dole in the post office a fiver of it should be a coupon for the bin, would solve a lot

• Advertisement

sungear wrote: »
    I thought you were relaying a story that occurred, but advocating it also?

I dont consider that grassing someone up though, where would we draw the line between legitimate complaint and grassing someone up?
    A response as you mention are the exact reason reports of this nature should be allowed to be anonymous and with good reason.

I also saw a neighbour and Ive heard people relate similar events to me regarding it a number of times, people pouring engine oil down the drain or pouring it onto green spaces, its the same thing, its poisonous, its harmful or at least has the potential to harm others and the environment. It is also accepted for free at recycling centres, I assume to prevent people disposing of in other ways it as its so hazardous, yet people still dispose of it inappropriately.
    Do you consider reporting that also grassing someone up? or are you happy to have hazardous pollutants get permanantly into the watertable, rivers, and the air that can be avoided.

It's not about me.

It what the people who do these things (enviromental damage) think when they get reported and get a visit.....

can you not understand that?

It's not about me.

It what the people who do these things (enviromental damage) think when they get reported and get a visit.....

I do understand people can respond like that, but I dont think your post clarified how involved you were or what exactly your opinion of throwing the brick was. Mentioning "grass" makes it seem you dont think much of someone that would report this kind of thing. I dont like breathing in lungfuls of PCB's and Dioxins, or am obligated to keep the windows shut tight or having my garden a no go area as someone would do that kind of thing.

It's not about me.

So its alright for them to carry on regardless then? Where do you draw the line and stick your head above the parapet? We live in a democracy after all with every citizen entitled to their rights, not in a place of fear. Why should my taxes be wasted on EU fines cause a neighbour couldnt be bothered to take responsibility. I would prefer my taxes were spent on somthing more meaningful.

"Evil persists when good men do nothing".... (perhaps replace Evil with ignorance)....

shure grand so, report away lads........

Pododo wrote: »
    You should suggest they flush their garbage down the toilet as this can be used to reduce the bin charge also

From what I have heard, that happens too, a plumber related a story to me about how he was called to a rented house by the landlord, despite protests of tenants not knowing how it got there, he told me the waste pipe was blocked full of rubbish, items of clothing and also what else you'd expect.

Pododo wrote: »
    Well obviously they put too much down in one go. The toilet is perfect for food and paper disposal if soaked properly

Im sure you are joking :)
    Food only in small quantities and what is small enough to get down the drain on its own, the other stuff breaks up. kitchen roll doesnt even break up that well, Im sure its preferred to not let anything else get into that system, like a tshirt socks and jocks.

Nobody taught me this stuff, dont pour oil into sewer main or street runoff, dont burn plastics in your bi weekly bonfire, dont stuff clothes down the toilet. So where do people come up with it :confused:

are you not one of the "good men" then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

[MOD] If you have nothing constructive to offer, then please don't bother posting. [/MOD]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

"Evil persists when good men do nothing".... (perhaps replace Evil with ignorance)....

FG and Labours next election campaign banner and slogan so...:pac::pac::D

You cant win in this country...you cant do anything without BB watching you or a neighbour reporting you for the slightest thing.

I know a chap who trys to help and rescue horses from being abused.

He has a small farm in Dublin,one of his neighbours called the gardai and reported him for having a a horse on his farm for one day that would not stop neighing.
    The horse was so badly abused by its previous owner that the horse didnt know it was being rescued and the man and his wife were trying to feed it and give it a good home.

Stupid dumb ass neighbour of theirs reported him and he had the Gardai and then the DSPCA on his doorstep.
    Turns out the man and his family and the DSPCA work close together to try and help/save neglected horses and ponys.

So even when you try to do some good in this world ,you allways have some idiot who wants to ruin your day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

paddy147 wrote: »
    You cant win in this country...you cant do anything without BB watching you or a neighbour reporting you for the slightest thng.
    Burning rubbish isn't exactly a trivial issue. The noxious fumes given off by burning plastics can cause serious health issues - plenty of carcinogens in there.

Advertisement