Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one tank two pumped gravity fed showers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

cluelez wrote: »
    I called two electrical suppliers shops in Dublin.

Both told me that 40amp RCBO for the showers is the largest they keep in stock and that every single 9.5kW shower they sell is paired with 40amp RCBO and 10sq cable (if the lenght of the cable is between 10-15 meters).

Perhaps you should ask the question about the RCBO in the electrical section:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

TheBody wrote: »
    Perhaps you should ask the question about the RCBO in the electrical section:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

yes, I asked but the mod closed the thread (no one could answer the question!)

The reasoning's behind I think were that DIY'er are not allowed to talk about it (sorry i'm not qualified electrician so mod decided to close the thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Its not because a diy'er isn't allowed talk about it,its because a diy'er should not be wiring a shower.

In any case we can answer your question and indeed your question was answered,people told you what they would select,they are qualified electricians so you got your answer. They just all feel you should get a sparky to do the work for you,I'm a sparky and I agree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

yes, I asked but the mod closed the thread (no one could answer the question!)

The reasoning's behind I think were that DIY'er are not allowed to talk about it (sorry i'm not qualified electrician so mod decided to close the thread).

Would you get a carpenter to fix your gas boiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Would you get a carpenter to fix your gas boiler?

No he'd fix it himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

you'll get a good few electricians trying to do plumbers work as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Okay, everything works. will I post pictures to show my own work?

It's not my fault that I learned how to distinguish between + / - / earth
    I used common sense and knowledge from my life to apply to this project. I have also repaired my washing machine, dishwasher. Installed timers and lights around the place. I worked on electrical systems in Germany as person who simply holds the box full of parts and watch what the electrician does and ask many questions, after couple of days I did few installations on my own and electrician said that these makes sense.

Plumber was clueless about the electrical connections and I now I'm confident that I can do plumbing myself.

After 29 years experience in plumbing, boilers and electrics ( in my job) + public liability insurance of €6,500,000 what do you think is better ?
    You or me?
    Please learn, you pay for our experence, you pay for your own mistakes !
    Happy to see you have had a 3 day apprentiship.

easy lads.

So is the 40amp RCBO correct or not? - If it is correct then I think I need to get my workmanship commissioned / approved by sparky or by engineer and I should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

My electric shower is fed from the house water mains via a pressure regulator valve, why do you need a header tank?

easy lads.

So is the 40amp RCBO correct or not? - If it is correct then I think I need to get my workmanship commissioned / approved by sparky or by engineer and I should be good.

Water and electrics can be a deadly mixture as others have found sadly. With other professions tasks like the one you have had a lash at, it may seem to be in the realms of a good DIYer but they do require training and good working practises to archive a safe uniform outcome by a tradesman.

As you dont know, what you dont know due to your lack of training you are reliant purely on luck for a safe outcome, why on earth would you want to take the risk? Especially with a appliance(s) pulling a lot of juice.

Getting your work checked out by a tradesman is not the same as them doing it themselves, the check is only a snapshot in time and things have been known to be missed.

• Advertisement

easy lads.

The other reason is you are detailing with a different voltage than in the UK, therefore a different affect in the load.

You need an electrician. You have been told by electricians in the Electrical Forum this also.

What you know you may know, but you don't know what you don't know!

Go electrocute yourself by all means but it is the other people in your household I would fear for or the persons who occupy your house after you kill yourself!

I'm around heating wiring all day everyday, I have a good understanding/experiance in electrics but I would never in a month of Sundays attempt to do what your doing/done, this is because I'm not a sparks and I would very much fear making a mistake that ends in tears.

I'm not trying to be smart but I just don't unstand the willingnes of some to take needles risks there are plenty of good sparks out there, with what a shower is pulling there is no room for school boy errors.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/28337-shower-fire.html

gary71 wrote: »
    I'm around heating wiring all day everyday, I have a good understanding/experiance in electrics but I would never in a month of Sundays attempt to do what your doing/done, this is because I'm not a sparks and I would very much fear making a mistake that ends in tears.

I'm not trying to be smart but I just don't unstand the willingnes of some to take needles risks there are plenty of good sparks out there, with what a shower is pulling there is no room for school boy errors.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/28337-shower-fire.html

Hi All,

Thank you for waking me up on this subject.

I have had called qualified electrician and he have completed the following:

1) check the tightness of the connections
    2) performed the various tests with the test equipment
    3) replaced Blue (negative) cable between RCBO and the board (about 12 cm. from 6sq to 10sq)
    4) advised on the periodical tests of RCBO
    5) advised about the test: 33amp at full power of the shower for 10seconds.
    6) polarity and earthing verified
    7) Resistance of the protective conductor .4 OHM
    8) Trip Time .29ms
    9) Fault Look Impedance 0.5 OHM

After all that carried out I have received Declaration of Compliance ET101.

Well done. It takes more to bite the bullet than to battle on. You unknowingly may have saved a life & I hope this shows to others the importance of the correct person for a particular task.

It also sounds like you got a very professional electrician in.

Advertisement