Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one tank two pumped gravity fed showers

Options
  • 18-07-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi, how can I make it to work without a danger of running out of water in the tank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

cluelez wrote: »
    hi, how can I make it to work without a danger of running out of water in the tank?

What showers and what capacity of tank.If you are thinking electric showers there has to be an interlock on them so only 1 shower can work at anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

Robbie.G wrote: »
    What showers and what capacity of tank.If you are thinking electric showers there has to be an interlock on them so only 1 shower can work at anytime

two 9.5kW triton pumped showers. Capacity of the tank (I need to check, about 60cm by 90cm or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

two 9.5kW triton pumped showers. Capacity of the tank (I need to check, about 60cm by 90cm or so)

That tank has ample capacity but as I posted only 1 triton shower can be used at a time(its a esb reg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

If 2 9.5kw showers are run at the same time you will trip the main fuse coming into the house.
    A = P / V
    A = 19,000 / 230
    A = 82.6 Amps

Main fuse into house is 63 amps. 1 shower would be 41.3 amps so this is acceptable but two at the same time will overload the circuit.

You will require an auto switchover device, I can't think of the correct name for it, but it basically only allows one shower to come on at any given time. The first being switched on had priority.

Robbie.G wrote: »

Robbie.G
    Do you mean plumbing or electrical interlock?
    Do you know the exact name of it or where can I purchase it (link would be appreciated).

• Advertisement

shane0007 wrote: »
    If 2 9.5kw showers are run at the same time you will trip the main fuse coming into the house.
    A = P / V
    A = 19,000 / 230
    A = 82.6 Amps

Main fuse into house is 63 amps. 1 shower would be 41.3 amps so this is acceptable but two at the same time will overload the circuit.

You will require an auto switchover device, I can't think of the correct name for it, but it basically only allows one shower to come on at any given time. The first being switched on had priority.

thanks Shane007, yep I agree that I need such a device, if you know the correct name for it please post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

thanks Shane007, yep I agree that I need such a device, if you know the correct name for it please post it here.

Priority switch/ switching relay, common enough , ask in any electrical suppliers & tell them what its for.

You must get a qualified electrician to carry out the works in the fuse board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

This times 100. Your not talking about putting a plug on a kettle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

+1 on post above, this job can be awkward enough as the cables are enormous and the current you're dealing with is more than everything else in the house combined.

If you had two pumped showers (without instantaneous heaters) you can prevent them from draining your tank by installing two ball cocks in parallel ie. install an additonal one next to the existing ballcock.

• Advertisement

+1 on post above, this job can be awkward enough as the cables are enormous and the current you're dealing with is more than everything else in the house combined.

If you had two pumped showers (without instantaneous heaters) you can prevent them from draining your tank by installing two ball cocks in parallel ie. install an additonal one next to the existing ballcock.

installing additional ball cock, does it require additional pipe for additional water supply?

Yes, I agree with this: (without simultaneous heaters), which basically means no two working at the same time. Is this what you meant?

installing additional ball cock, does it require additional pipe for additional water supply?

No, it's like filling the bath with two hot taps instead of one. The primary limiting factor on the speed at which the ballcock fills our tank is the size of the outlet on the ball cock, not the size of the pipe feeding it.

Oh, I already completed works on one shower.

Installed:

40amp RCBO
    45amp pull cord switch / MK DP isolation switch (rated at 45A per pole).
    13 meters 10sq earthed cable
    9.5kWh pumped shower

Installed:

40amp RCBO
    45amp pull cord switch
    9.5kWh pumped shower

I could list every part that is installed in my car, but I didn't spend four years learning how to install them correctly.

No, it's like filling the bath with two hot taps instead of one. The primary limiting factor on the speed at which the ballcock fills our tank is the size of the outlet on the ball cock, not the size of the pipe feeding it.

So it will stay with the same mains pipe and I will have to add sort of Y type or F type part to separate the pipe for additional ball cock?

I could list every part that is installed in my car, but I didn't spend four years learning how to install them correctly.

Okay, everything works. will I post pictures to show my own work?

It's not my fault that I learned how to distinguish between + / - / earth
    I used common sense and knowledge from my life to apply to this project. I have also repaired my washing machine, dishwasher. Installed timers and lights around the place. I worked on electrical systems in Germany as person who simply holds the box full of parts and watch what the electrician does and ask many questions, after couple of days I did few installations on my own and electrician said that these makes sense.

Plumber was clueless about the electrical connections and I now I'm confident that I can do plumbing myself.

Installed:

40amp RCBO
    45amp pull cord switch
    9.5kWh pumped shower

40 amp RCBO is for an 8.5kw shower not a 9.5kw one.
    Why are you willing to risk lives?
    0.5 amps travelling through your body for 0.2 secs will kill you.

I'm handy on cars too. I just like it.

40 amp RCBO is for an 8.5kw shower not a 9.5kw one.
    Why are you willing to risk lives?
    0.5 amps travelling through your body for 0.2 secs will kill you.

I asked twice to the electrician who sold this to me (private sale). He ensured me that there is no larger RCBO's on the market and that I will be grand.

What size RCBO do you recon I need?

I asked twice to the electrician who sold this to me (private sale). He ensured me that there is no larger RCBO's on the market and that I will be grand.

What size RCBO do you recon I need?

I'm not a qualified electrician so I would not advise you, but I fully understand the implications of a DIY'er trying to save a few bucks on an installation.
    If you need to ask then you do not understand & again I would highly recommend you have the works carried out by a qualified electrician. Only
    Last year a plumber in Carlow electrocuted a girl when he wired the electric shower incorrectly. He was not an electrician either.
    You may wish to put yourself at risk which is fine, work away but don't put others at risk for your financial gain.

• Advertisement

I'm not a qualified electrician so I would not advise you, but I fully understand the implications of a DIY'er trying to save a few bucks on an installation.
    If you need to ask then you do not understand & again I would highly recommend you have the works carried out by a qualified electrician. Only
    Last year a plumber in Carlow electrocuted a girl when he wired the electric shower incorrectly. He was not an electrician either.
    You may wish to put yourself at risk which is fine, work away but don't put others at risk for your financial gain.

I will pay a trip to local electrical shop and ask what RCBO is needed. Other than that I have wired earth to the main board and the pull cord switch which does isolate the shower (if needs be).

I will keep posted.

I found this online (this is if I decide to go with two showers setup).

http://www.voltimum.ie/articles/abbs-range-prioritynon-priority-shower-boards

This still doesn't answer my q on the amp's of RCBO for the 9.5kW triton showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This still doesn't answer my q on the amp's of RCBO for the 9.5kW triton showers.

The H1122 unit is the one that we would recommend to our customers looking for a two shower set up in their house.
    With respect OP, you should get a qualified electrician to fit it and certify it.
    If you DIY and it causes damage or a fire you may find that you will have no insurance cover.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The H1122 unit is the one that we would recommend to our customers looking for a two shower set up in their house.
    With respect OP, you should get a qualified electrician to fit it and certify it.
    If you DIY and it causes damage or a fire you may find that you will have no insurance cover.

Could you please pm me the location and estimated cost. Would this unit include RCBO's and if so, would they be suitable for 9.5kW pumped shower (using 10sq cable (length 13meters))?

Could you please pm me the location and estimated cost. Would this unit include RCBO's and if so, would they be suitable for 9.5kW pumped shower (using 10sq cable (length 13meters))?

To be honest I cant, I'm not being funny, but I know how that unit works and how it priortises the shower units. But after that its in the electricians hands to supply, install and certify.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    To be honest I cant, I'm not being funny, but I know how that unit works and how it priortises the shower units. But after that its in the electricians hands to supply, install and certify.

I understand, are the rcbo's supplied with the unit?

but that's not the case both are (will be) instantaneous.

I understand, are the rcbo's supplied with the unit?
    Not trying to be unhelpful, but the electrician assembles the unit then fits it.
    I would think they are ordered seperately for the different load ratings.
    Also keep in mind, when you go to an electrical suppliers and you are asking for which rcbo is suitable, the person behind the counter may not be a qualfied electrician able to say which one is suitable. So you may be taking a risk on someones say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭mistermano

the current rating of breaker should exceed shower rating

so it should be >40

you should get a professional

• Advertisement

mistermano wrote: »
    the current rating of breaker should exceed shower rating

so it should be >40

you should get a professional

I called two electrical suppliers shops in Dublin.

Both told me that 40amp RCBO for the showers is the largest they keep in stock and that every single 9.5kW shower they sell is paired with 40amp RCBO and 10sq cable (if the lenght of the cable is between 10-15 meters).

Advertisement