Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winning Streak to end ?

Options
  • 16-07-2013 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

If an post don't win the new 20 year lottery licence will that be the end of winning streak ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You cannot kill that which is already dead.

Winning streak will return far more powerful than you can imagine as :

[Irish word for winning] streak.

Could have the second word in Irish. Depends on how original they feel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

You cannot kill that which is already dead.

Winning streak will return far more powerful than you can imagine as :

[Irish word for winning] streak.

Could have the second word in Irish. Depends on how original they feel

Horrible show. Smell of piss and cowshít off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Once there are old people and rural women unfamiliar with applying make-up, there will always be plenty of people willing to go on winning streak.

If it dies it will just return with a different name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Please please let it be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That's bad luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Back for another year! No Geri do, Sinead Kennedy:confused:. Why can't they just install a wheelchair ramp rather than having two presenters whose main role seems to be to stop the pensioners falling over.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/geri-maye-no-longer-on-rtes-winning-streak-29483783.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Brilliant show. Always a source of amusement.

Long live The Streak!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Long live The Streak!

As long as nobody actually streaks on it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Long live The Streak!

Is this reverse psychology? ;)

I notice that that Indo article doesn't say why Geri has left. Wouldn't surprise me, though, if RTE have decided to play musical chairs again... :rolleyes:

They certainly played that game in the latter half of the 2000s, beginning in early 2006 when Laura Woods subbed for Derek Mooney on WS while he was doing that year's You're A Star.

The following year, RTE and the National Lottery decided to replace Fame & Fortune - hosted, of course, by Marty - with the Dump Card, I mean Trump Card, hosted by Laura. In the same year, Aidan Power and Kathryn Thomas replaced Derek on the Streak.

Then in 2008, the Trump Card was replaced by the Big Money Game - with Laura continuing to host - and Marty replaced Aidan on WS. Finally, in 2009, Derek took over from Laura on the BMG.

Wouldn't surprise me, either, if Brian Ormond replaced Marty on the Streak at some point in the near future and was thus reunited with Sinead. As for the Big Money Game, what odds would you get on the presenters of Elev8 taking over? They must be fairly short...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Everytime i flick over and that show is on i imagine what it's like as a tourist visiting this country. Sitting in hotel room, switch tv on and you see that ****e. Straight away you would think all the failte Ireland ads were right and Ireland really is full of gob****es.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It will probably end if the franchise goes to another company, but I'm not sure what the timetable is for the competition, given that there would be a period where An Post National Lottery Company would have to run down before handing over to the new operator, it could be 2015 before a new operator takes over.

The problem with shows such as Winning Streak is that because the Lottery are strictly limited to games of chance, effectively its one very long and extended prize draw. A few years ago I timed the introduction of the contestants as taking up nearly half the running time of the entire programme but i haven't watched it in years so I don't know what its like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

icdg wrote: »
    It will probably end if the franchise goes to another company, but I'm not sure what the timetable is for the competition, given that there would be a period where An Post National Lottery Company would have to run down before handing over to the new operator, it could be 2015 before a new operator takes over.

The problem with shows such as Winning Streak is that because the Lottery are strictly limited to games of chance, effectively its one very long and extended prize draw. A few years ago I timed the introduction of the contestants as taking up nearly half the running time of the entire programme but i haven't watched it in years so I don't know what its like now.

Not really changed, about 15 mins game time, then commercials and 30 mins waffle. You have a pretty good idea of the game time by the amount of waffle at the start of the show. When they are saying hello to 2nd cousin Henry in Canada you know that the game time was below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Up there with Deal or No Deal as TV for the brain-dead.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Everytime i flick over and that show is on i imagine what it's like as a tourist visiting this country. Sitting in hotel room, switch tv on and you see that ****e. Straight away you would think all the failte Ireland ads were right and Ireland really is full of gob****es.
    Everytime I flick on TV in a hotel room in another country I say exactly the same about what's on offer. Actually it's usually far worse than Winning Streak. The US with all its money and so-called entertainment moguls is probably the worst TV I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I notice that that Indo article doesn't say why Geri has left. Wouldn't surprise me, though, if RTE have decided to play musical chairs again... ..

Thought towards the end of this series she was starting to look pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

IT'S TV for Culchies and Oaps, same with Up for the Match.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was flicking around last night and it was on, this one playing was being asked what her "strategy" was, strategy? I thought you just randomly pushed buttons and won money? it's not a gameshow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

An Post (with Camelot and er ... The Ontario Teachers Pension fund) have been announced as the preferred bidder for the Lotto Licence

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/preferred-bidder-selected-for-national-lottery-1.1549493

So that could mean another 20 years of Winning Streak :eek::mad::( May God have mercy on our Souls.

It's a shame that the Lottery regulations state that the Irish Lottery show must contain no element of skill, just random chance and flashing lights. The BBC manage to have some decent gameshows tagged on to their Lotto results, with real questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Skid X wrote: »
    The BBC manage to have some decent gameshows tagged on to their Lotto results, with real questions.

I'm all for real questions but unfortunately proper quizzes don't seem to be popular over here.

Also can you imagine the outcry if 5 people turned up for a lottery show and none of them went home with any money. (which has happened on "In It To Win It" )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No. It's just a game of chance.

brian_t wrote: »
    I'm all for real questions but unfortunately proper quizzes don't seem to be popular over here.

And yet, only a decade ago, there were quite a few proper quizzes on RTE1...

It's Not The Answer ran for four series, and was popular enough to be dubbed "TV's Toughest Game Show". It even found its way across the water, turning up on ITV on weekday lunchtimes.

There was also Delegation with Tom Ó Brannagáin, and Last One Standing with Jon Slattery, who always looked like he had a few jars on board. :D

Alas, all three disappeared without a trace, as the folks at Montrose decided to pay infinitely more attention to Winning Streak and the like. :rolleyes:

And it must be said that the hosts haven't had much luck, TV-wise, since - certainly not when compared to Derek, Marty, Laura, Aidan, Kathryn, Geri, Brian and Sinead. Jon now finds himself doing the unimaginatively-named Holiday Show on TV3, while Tom has resorted to being a judge on almost all of TG4's talent shows. And Bryan Smyth doesn't even appear in front of the TV cameras these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

And yet, only a decade ago, there were quite a few proper quizzes on RTE1...

It's Not The Answer ran for four series, and was popular enough to be dubbed "TV's Toughest Game Show". It even found its way across the water, turning up on ITV on weekday lunchtimes.

There was also Delegation with Tom Ó Brannagáin, and Last One Standing with Jon Slattery, who always looked like he had a few jars on board. :D

Dodge the Question with Jonathan Philbin Bowman was a favourite of mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

TV3 have a couple of Gameshows lined up for their new season. I haven't seen many details, but it's good to see them trying
    * Pressure Point: A new daily quiz show where five contestants undergo the pressure of three fast-paced general knowledge rounds.
    * The Lie: New game show based on the ability to spot a lie with a top prize of €10,000.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/end-failed-dual-funding-for-rte-says-tv3-boss-240042.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Wouldn't surprise me, either, if Brian Ormond replaced Marty on the Streak at some point in the near future and was thus reunited with Sinead.

And if not Brian, then everyone's favourite 37-year-old from the Dingle Peninsula - who filled in for Marty this weekend...

photo-137-630x366.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

And if not Brian, then everyone's favourite 37-year-old from the Dingle Peninsula - who filled in for Marty this weekend...

photo-137-630x366.png

He had to fill in for Marty because his mother of 95 years old had passed away.

http://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3886:death-of-lil-whelan-mother-of-colleague-marty-whelan&catid=18&Itemid=103

Sincere condolences to Marty & his family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

According to tomorrows Sun Marty Whelan is to be replaced with Marty Morrissey WTF ? anyway shouldn't winning streaks days be numbered now that an post national lottery company is to be wound up ?

Advertisement