Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you any good at cooking

Options
124»

Comments

Cooking has become something of a passion for me. Quite suddenly too - to the point I even grow all my own herbs and veg where possible. And keep chickens and geese for eggs and meat. And even catch the occasional wild rabbit and the like. Not to mention fishing.

The GFs could never cook and when I first moved in with them I got stuck with it. I did nothing too special or interesting. Then when one got pregnant I decided to go healthy and interesting with my cooking to keep her well fed and so forth for the pregnancy.

I simply never looked back. It has become a full time hobby and passion for me now. I even throw a monthly house party where I cook for 20 to 30 people before we hit the beer and music heavily.

I think cooking can either be something that gets in the way of the things in life you actually do enjoy doing - or it can BECOME one of the things in life you actually enjoy doing. I have maneuvered myself into the latter position and I am the happier for it.

The girls however are still at the point where they can ruin even a simple boiled egg and even destroy a good pot while doing it. They have been pretty much entirely banned from my kitchen. They have not complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

i'm ok but would like to cook more exotic meals. i can cook the regular stuff like roasts, meats, spuds,veg, pastas, and curry etc. fish i'm not so great on, i tend to overcook it for fear of poisoning my children so tend to steer clear unless i can get a nice piece of hake which i seem to get right.

i was thinking of attending some evening cooking classes but there seems to be very little on offer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'd be a good enough cook. If ever I'm on my own, I try and create something different and unusual. Some concoctions have become regulars on our household menu and some must never be attempted again. I enjoy the whole experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

fish i'm not so great on, i tend to overcook it for fear of poisoning my children so tend to steer clear unless i can get a nice piece of hake which i seem to get right.

You are very unlikely to cause any food poisoning in your children with slightly undercooked fish.

Some people have a horrendous allergy to shellfish which they think is food poisoning. Some shellfish are disgustingly contaminated because they were harvested from shallow beds near sewage works.

The outside of meat can become contaminated from fecal matter in the abbatoir, and minced meats from unwashed machinery.

Vegetables cause a surprising amount of food poisoning. They're grown in manure and dirt and sprayed with chemicals. This is why you need to wash fruits and vegetables that you won't be peeling, or will eat raw.

But fish? Pfft, knock yourself out. Most fish is fine to eat raw, even. If you fully cook a decent tuna steak or salmon steak then you deserve to eat neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm a perfectly good cook. I hate washing up though so I avoid cooking anything that requires more than one pot/pan.

It always annoys me when I see chiefs going on about their fancy dishes being so easy to make. Lets see them do the washing up too and tell me it's easy and takes just 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm a perfectly good cook. I hate washing up though so I avoid cooking anything that requires more than one pot/pan.

It always annoys me when I see chiefs going on about their fancy dishes being so easy to make. Lets see them do the washing up too and tell me it's easy and takes just 10 minutes.

Jamie Oliver using a food processer to save a mminute's worth of chopping is the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cuchulainn90

I love cooking, i always have, my mother who is a great cook had me up on a chair aged two helping her bake cakes and mix the dinner so from that iv'e always enjoyed cooking if not only for the Nostalgia, Its funny watching my 3 year old doing the exact same thing with her every weekend now, only seems like yesterday i was the one dipping my hands into the melted chocolate while she wasn't looking.

Anyway some how over time iv managed to get quite good at it, even though finding the time to do anything other than some quick Indian or Mexican dishes is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Love cooking since 'come dine with me' has piqued my interest. Love cooking Italian pastas from scratch, Irish Stew, home-made soups, the Sunday Roast.. now where's that diet sheet gone to??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't mind cooking but I hate peeling vegetables the rest of the cooking part is fine. I can only do basic cooking really like pasta , noodles , potatoes etc. I wouldn't say I'm a good cook just a basic cook really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I think we can all agree its the washing up that's the worst part :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Baked Alaska and Chips is my signature dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I think we can all agree its the washing up that's the worst part :-)

I actually like doing the washing up for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

9959 wrote: »
    Baked Alaska and Chips is my signature dish.
    Baked Alaska Salmon and Chips? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yep, roast pork with roast potato, sweet potato and pumkin served with baby peas and apple sauce.

I make crispy cracklin too.

Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I love cooking...luckily, as my girlfriend would burn water, she can't even make toast without setting off the alarms. If I couldn't cook we'd starve or live on chinese food!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I love cooking new things...I call them experiments! They often taste good but wouldn't win any competitions for presentation :D I've decided I should stay away from the recipes that look really simple to make! (Damn you sushi!) I make a mean red Thai curry though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jamie Oliver using a food processer to save a mminute's worth of chopping is the worst

Him and his fecking 15 minute meals. "You can have dinner ready in just 15 minutes if you do an hour of prep work beforehand."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Can't cook, Won't cook!

Advertisement