Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you any good at cooking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Currently working in Viajante (San Pellegrino #59). So ya I reckon I can cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

HoPpiE wrote: »

No idea what that is. Sounds like a builder's canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

Make a risotto, with fried chorizo, chopped spring onions and halved cherry tomatoes mixed through just before serving.
    Got eggs? Omelette.
    Leaves? Salad
    Pasta and olive oil? Pasta which can be eaten cold or warm
    Pasta and cheese? Pasta bake

Those are my favourite omelette ingredients you have there.

I am impressed, now how do I get to that stage where I see the ingredients and the recipe comes to mind, years of practice no doubt or perhaps an intensive cookery course.

I love cold pasta salad and anything with chorizo. I will try these, thanks.

No idea what that is. Sounds like a builder's canteen.

And this statement emphasises why we have schools that cater for individuals with learning difficulties.

And this statement emphasises why we have schools that cater for individuals with learning difficulties.

True, and I hope it's working out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are a couple of things I do well; cottage pie and lasagne, but my forte is asian food; I make a mean okonomiyaki and a sukiyaki that'd knock your sock's off. My gyoza are similarly legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i see a problem! :P if you use large eggs or small eggs the timing is different, so do you get multiple sized ones?

all i see it saying is "the same size as an egg" but which egg size is it the same as?
    A bit of trial and error is all it takes; I boil duck eggs, which are larger than hen's eggs, using one of those as a timer and I've found that half way between 'soft' and 'medium' gives me a lovely runny egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I am impressed, now how do I get to that stage where I see the ingredients and the recipe comes to mind, years of practice no doubt or perhaps an intensive cookery course.

I love cold pasta salad and anything with chorizo. I will try these, thanks.

Not really, all those dishes we suggested are "throw everything in" dishes, really. Perfect for leftovers. But they still can taste amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm an awesome cook. I'm always reading recipes but terrible for following them exactly.

The best thing about cooking is that exact measurements are rarely needed. Therefore you can customise recipes to your own desires. I usually add in a 2nd or 3rd meat (usually bacon) and make it slightly spicier.

I also am not a fan of vegetables, so to be healthy, I try to find ways of making them taste nice and sneaking them into my food in ways where I don't taste them. For example, I make a great chorizo soup which is meaty yet mild, but easy to forget that there is also lots of onion, leek, celery, carrot, parsnip and spinach in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Spring onions, cherry tomatoes, chorizo.

Yesterday, I boiled potatoes and fried chicken, it will sustain my family, nobody will die of starvation, but there is no explosion of flavor in our mouths like you get with some of the Asian and Mediterranean cooking.

Throw those up on google and you get: https://www.google.ie/search?q=spring+onions%2Bcherry+tomatoes%2Bchorizo&oq=spring+onions%2Bcherry+tomatoes%2Bchirizo&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.15766j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Yesterday, taking advice from a chef in work, I chopped up an aubergine, onion, sweet potato, garlic bulb, red pepper and a sweet pepper with a stock cube dissolved in a tiny amount of olive oil and put them all into an oven bag.
    Put into a medium heated oven for an hour and presto, roasted veg not dried up just juicy and tasty.
    Easy Peasy.

What do ye think of this idea? Do ye think it would work in Dublin?

What do ye think of this idea? Do ye think it would work in Dublin?

You'd probably feed the family for a week for the cost of one meal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I see a lot of people take a keen interest in cooking, wish I was like that but I just cook to keep the hunger away.

Chucken wrote: »
    You'd probably feed the family for a week for the cost of one meal :(

But wouldn't it be worth it, it is social and fun and gets Mom out of the house once in a while, while at the same time solving one of Mom's biggest problems coming up with tasty dinners. I think they said you can make 12 dinners in a couple of hours. Thats almost 2 weeks of dinners you don't have to think about. That's what you would be paying the extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

It always surprises me how badly equipped the usual house kitchen is, you see people with wafer thin warped frying pans, no proper pots, blunt knives and the cheapest crappest utensils.

Cooking is so much easier with a stack of clean tea towels, a decent Pan and pot set, sharp knife and decent big chopping board.

If your ever starting to panic with pots and pans on and it feels like you're going into meltdown, turn off all the rings, turn the oven to the lowest setting, ten deep breathes and start again.

A real cook would show some modesty, I presume you're the type of person who walks into a restaurant and has to make sure they know you work in a kitchen within 2 minutes.

But wouldn't it be worth it, it is social and fun and gets Mom out of the house once in a while, while at the same time solving one of Mom's biggest problems coming up with tasty dinners. I think they said you can make 12 dinners in a couple of hours. Thats almost 2 weeks of dinners you don't have to think about. That's what you would be paying the extra for.

You know, you have a point! :)

Might not be one of the worst ideas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It always surprises me how badly equipped the usual house kitchen is, you see people with wafer thin warped frying pans, no proper pots, blunt knives and the cheapest crappest utensils.

Cooking is so much easier with a stack of clean tea towels, a decent Pan and pot set, sharp knife and decent big chopping board.

It's trial and error to see what other kitchen gadgets you need. My mother's kitchen is packed full of barely touched equipment, like electric carving knives and juicers.

In addition to the above I use the hell out of my food processor/blender, hand blender, a decent box grater and microplane, whisk, tongs and my pizza wheel.

You can pry my mandolin from my cold dead hands. (It will be covered in blood because I'll have bled out, I lose a fingertip to it almost every week)

The melon baller and the cheese parer, on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I mostly love baking (and fobbing it off on others. Hey April O'N ;) ) because it's nice and relaxing and it's nice to make tasty things!
    Especially for if I'm visiting people and I know already they love it
    Plus my coconut flour muffins are sugar free and health personified. I'll eat all of those thx
    I'd always think homemade baked stuff is healthier and tastier than packet stuff. Except doughnuts...

I'm trying to branch out a bit more with the cooking though; I make nice chicken stirfries, curries, I love chicken philadelphia, and sweet chili beef with cashew nuts and sesame seeds = om nom

bluewolf wrote: »
    Plus my coconut flour muffins are sugar free and health personified. I'll eat all of those thx

Have you got a recipe? Or a link?

It's trial and error to see what other kitchen gadgets you need. My mother's kitchen is packed full of barely touched equipment, like electric carving knives and juicers.

In addition to the above I use the hell out of my food processor/blender, hand blender, a decent box grater and microplane, whisk, tongs and my pizza wheel.

You can pry my mandolin from my cold dead hands. (It will be covered in blood because I'll have bled out, I lose a fingertip to it almost every week)

The melon baller and the cheese parer, on the other hand...

Ha, electric carvers, I wonder has anybody used them more than twice :-)

A decent tongs is my tool of choice, that and a little crank angled pallet knife, that gets used for EVERYTHING ! Tasting, lifting, turning, it's saved my fingers from burns many a time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Have you got a recipe? Or a link?

I made it up myself :pac:
    3 tbsp coconut flour (the holland and barrett kind, not the asian market kind :( )
    3 eggs
    400ml natural yogurt
    2 tbsp milled flaxseed
    I throw 1-2 tbsp chia seed in too but I don't think that bit is vital
    loads of cinnamon and raisins to taste
    1 diced apple
    half a tbsp bread soda

bake for a while
    I think it's 10-15 mins at 180c

Okay sugar free apart from the raisins and apple... but you can skip those too if you like

A real cook would show some modesty, I presume you're the type of person who walks into a restaurant and has to make sure they know you work in a kitchen within 2 minutes.

No way! In my experience it's best they don't know you're involved in the industry, allowing you to get the same experience as every other diner and see what the restaurant is all about.

But as you mentioned, not everyone thinks this way.

No way! In my experience it's best they don't know you're involved in the industry, allowing you to get the same experience as every other diner and see what the restaurant is all about.

But as you mentioned, not everyone thinks this way.

I had some wanker in yesterday who sat down with ' I'm happy to be here, my brother
    the critic at
    says hi'

What can you do but suck it up.

Or the young fellers who announce they're a chef and gallantly order a very blue steak and sit there not enjoying it :-)

I had some wanker in yesterday who sat down with ' I'm happy to be here, my brother
    the critic at
    says hi'

Or the young fellers who announce they're a chef and gallantly order a very blue steak and sit there not enjoying it :-)

WTF like? Some people are just ridiculous, but you gotta deal with it in the restaurant business every day unfortunately.

the critic at
    says hi'

I think that is quiet funny, but I can see how you as the restaurateur mightn't:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I can make a lovely hearty soup using an onion, a squash, some chilli and a bit of butter. I'm a fairly good cook IMHO- haven't poisoned anyone so far. I do prefer to making cakes, though as I've a massive sweet tooth. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

People in my opinion over think cooking , your just heating things up till its cooked. The man in the video made his career out of just heating what ever he could find to eat

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_rV5Fh-tE

Advertisement