Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Players of the 1980's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fizzyboy

I was surprised Mick Jacob didn't make the team of the 80s unless he won a medal in 68 as a sub. Other than that I wouldn't have too may complaints with the team

My football team:

Brian McAlinden
    Harry Keegan
    Kevin Kehily (presume he wasn't a sub in 73??)
    Dermot Flanagan
    Kevin McCabe
    Paddy Moriarty
    Seamus McHugh
    Willie Joe Padden
    Dermot Earley snr
    Peter McGinnitty
    Eugene McKenna
    Joe Kernan
    Eugene Hughes
    Frank McGuigan
    Tony McManus

Would like to find a place for Kevin O'Brien...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

fizzyboy wrote: »
    I was surprised Mick Jacob didn't make the team of the 80s unless he won a medal in 68 as a sub. Other than that I wouldn't have too may complaints with the team

1 P. Nolan
    2 T. Neville
    3 E. Kelly
    4 N. Colfer
    5 V. Staples
    6 D. Quigley (c)
    7 W. Murphy
    8 P. Wilson
    9 D. Bernie
    10 P. Lynch
    11 T. Doran
    12 C. Jacob
    13 J. O'Brien
    14 S. Whelan
    15 J. Berry

Sub used
    J. Quigley for S. Whelan

Subs not used
    P. Nolan
    T. O'Connor
    M. Jacob
    M. Kinsella
    S. Barron
    N. Buggy
    M. Browne
    J. Furlong
    Manager
    P. Kehoe

Selector
    N. Rackard
    Trainer
    N. Power

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hotd

Mick Kennedy. A stalwart at corner back for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

My football team:

Brian McAlinden
    Harry Keegan
    Kevin Kehily (presume he wasn't a sub in 73??)
    Dermot Flanagan
    Kevin McCabe
    Paddy Moriarty
    Seamus McHugh
    Willie Joe Padden
    Dermot Earley snr
    Peter McGinnitty
    Eugene McKenna
    Joe Kernan
    Eugene Hughes
    Frank McGuigan
    Tony McManus

Would like to find a place for Kevin O'Brien...

Great stuff Fizzy, you were very close to the official team:
    1. BRIAN McALINDEN (Armagh / Sarsfields): First-choice goalkeeper with Armagh from 1976 until late 1980s. Won 4 Railway Cup medals and in 1986 was reserve ‘keeper for the International Rules series in Australia. Formerly joint county manager with Brian Canavan.

2. HARRY KEEGAN (Roscommon / Castlerea): Regarded as one of the greatest corner backs to play with Roscommon, he was named on their ‘Best Team of the Last 25 years.’ Won All Star awards in 1978, 1980 and 1986.

3. KEVIN KEHILLY (Cork / Newcestown): Played in 1974 and 1983 All-Ireland semi-finals with Cork. Winner of five Railway Cup medals and All Stars in 1980 and 1982. Was trainer with Cork’s treble-winning hurling team of the seventies.

4. SÉAMUS McHUGH (Galway / Headford): Made senior debut with Galway in 1975 and captained team in the 1983 All-Ireland final. An All Star winner in 1981 and 1984, he played eight games in the International Rules Series, including the inaugural Australian tour in 1986.

5. JIM REILLY (Cavan / Kingscourt): A household name in Cavan all through the eighties, he played in all three tests in the 1987 International Rules Series. He won Railway Cup medals in 1983, 1984 and 1989.

6. CIARÁN MURRAY (Monaghan / Clones): Member of the Monaghan team which won the League title in 1985, he played six games in the International Rules series. An All Star award winner in 1985, in later years he gained notoriety as physiotherapist to the Irish soccer team.

7. COLM BROWNE (Laois / Portlaoise): Won an All-Ireland club medal in 1983 and Railway Cup medals in 1985, 1986 and 1987 – when he played in the final test against Australia. Won an All Star award in 1986 and managed Laois and Tipperary.

8. DERMOT EARLEY (Roscommon / Michael Glaveys/Sarsfields, Newbridge, RIP): Played with Roscommon for twenty years and is regarded as one of the greatest footballers never to win an All-Ireland, A member of the last Connacht team to win the Railway Cup in 1969, he won the county’s first All Star in 1974 and another in 1979. Managed Roscommon and Kildare.

9. WILLIE JOE PADDEN (Mayo / Belmullet): Voted fourth best ever midfielder in a national poll, he was especially renowned for his high-fielding ability. Won an All Star in 1985 and another in 1989, when he played with Mayo in the All-Ireland final.

10. PETER McGINNITY (Fermanagh / Roslea): Won county medals in his native Fermanagh and Antrim – lining out with St. John’s in the 1978 All-Ireland club final. Winner of Railway Cup medals in 1979, 1980, 1983 and 1984 and the county’s first All Star winner in 1982. Co-commentator with BBC Ulster in their TV coverage.

11. EUGENE McKENNA (Tyrone / Augher): Tyrone’s captain in their first All-Ireland senior final appearance in 1986, he won All Star awards in 1984, 1986 and 1989 and won Railway Cup medals in 1983, 1984 and 1989. Involved with Art McRory in the management of the county team in the late 90s.

12. KEVIN O’BRIEN (Wicklow / Baltinglass): Played four times for Ireland, including the tour to Australia in 1990 – when he was Wicklow’s first All Star recipient and won an All-Ireland club medal. A Railway Cup medal-winner in 1986 and 1996, he was a selector with Mick O’Dwyer.

13. EUGENE ‘NUDIE’ HUGHES (Monaghan / Castleblaney): Monaghan’s first All Star in 1979 and again honoured in 1985 and 1988 – one of a select group to win awards in defence and attack. Member of NFL-winning side of 1985 and Railway Cup winner in 1980, 1983 and 1984.

14. FRANK McGUIGAN (Tyrone / Ardboe): A legend in Tyrone, forever remembered for his 0-11 in the 1984 Ulster final, he won an All Star and Railway Cup medal the same year. Captain in the 1972 All-Ireland minor final, he played in the senior semi-final the following year. Career interrupted when he spent several years in the US and ended prematurely by a serious injury.

15. TONY McMANUS (Roscommon / Clan na nGael): An All-Ireland Under-21 medal winner with Roscommon in 1978. Won six Connacht senior medals and a key figure in his club’s pre-eminence in the province in the 80s. An All Star winner in 1989, he won three Sigerson Cup medals with UCD.

• Advertisement

In fairness I did use the All-Stars as a guide......couldn't really quibble with the team I have to say.

I'm sure there'll be something similar for the 90s in a few years time which will have us guessing again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

In fairness I did use the All-Stars as a guide......couldn't really quibble with the team I have to say.

Well then your picking of Brian McAlinden is deserving of respect.

One of the great injustices was McAlinden never getting an All Star. He really should have had one I thought in 1977 - two brilliant saves in the semi-final replay against Roscommon got us over the line in a one point match - the highlight of a very good season for him (although on reflection he may have suffered for shipping the five goals in the final, one of which was a "speculative effort" from Jimmy Keaveny).

He was though at the forefront of goal-keeping for a decade or more but missed subsquent opportunities to be rewarded at All Star level due to Armagh's poor form.

Advertisement