Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Players of the 1980's

Options
  • 11-07-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Well lads and ladies. I'm doing a bit of research at the moment for a friend of mine for a future project. Question I have is..

Who do ye think are some of the greatest footballers and hurlers who played in the 1980's never to win an all-ireland medal?

Thanks in advance. Players and counties.

I'll start by saying

Willie Joe Padden (Mayo)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

as usual in these discussions and rightfully so, the late great Dermot Earley of Roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Plunkett Donaghy and Kevin O Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭megadodge

Tony McManus and Harry Keegan, both Roscommon.
    Dessie Barry (Longford).
    Frank McGuigan (Tyrone) father of Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Sean Stack & Ger Loughnane (Clare) and Mick Jacob (Wexford).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Colm Browne (Laois) and Ollie Crinnigan (Kildare)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Kevin Kehily Cork footballer
    Retired in mid 80's.

Won an all star at full back.in 80 and Corner back on 82.

Not old enough to see him. Play but heard me father talk enough about him.Teak tough defender who often done well on the Bomber Liston.

Dont think any of our hurlers apply as any old players won medals in 76-78 while younger lads from 80s upwards won medals in 84 and 86 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

At a stretch you could include Liam McHale.
    Even though he is better known for his exploits in 1996 he played in a semi and final in 1988 and 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Kevin McCabe (Tyrone)
    Joe Kernan (Armagh)
    Tony Scullion (Derry)*
    Danny Murray (Roscommon)
    Dermot Flanagan (Mayo)
    Val Daly (Galway)

*Did when All Ireland in 93 after years of trying in the 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Am biased of course but Stephen King (Cavan) was up there in a very bad period for Cavan football.

Nudie Hughes was at the height of his powers in a very good Monaghan team that won Ulster in 1985 and 1988 along with the league in 1985 - Nudie was a beast and won three All Stars in that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tony McManus jnr. Roscommon.

Tony Doran. Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Tony McManus jnr. Roscommon.

Tony Doran. Wexford.

Tony Doran won an All Ireland in 1968

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kevin O'brien, dermot early snr, dermot early jnr.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Nudie Hughes was at the height of his powers in a very good Monaghan team that won Ulster in 1985 and 1988 along with the league in 1985 - Nudie was a beast and won three All Stars in that era.

Being an Armagh supporter dating back to the seventies, I recall Nudie in his prime, and it is but right that he gets mentioned here. Furthermore, Nudie is one of a very select few who have won All Stars both as a defender and attacker, which in my opinion adds to his credentials.

With that in mind, I would have to mention our own Paddy Moriarty who played well into the 1980s and was a holder of two All Stars - one at corner forward, and the other at centre half back.

And while I'm being totally parochial, I should also mention our own Johnny Corvan who was an exceptional talent. He only ever made an All Star trip as a replacement, but was the first name mentioned by Charlie Nelligan as a guest on "Know Your Sport", when asked by Jimmy Magee as to who were the best forwards he had ever come up against.

Edit - Peter McGinnity of Fermanagh is also worthy of mention - an All Star in 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Seanie O'Leary, Tony O'Sullivan, Jimmy Barry Murphy, and John Fenton : Cork

Pete Finnerty, Tony Keady : Galway . You could include Gerry McInerney here also, although I don't know how much of the 80's he was around for.

Christy Heffernan, Ger Fennelly : Kilkenny

John Callinan : Clare

Joe McKenna : Limerick

Nicky English : Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Kevin O'brien, dermot early snr, dermot early jnr.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

sasol wrote: »

Pete Finnerty, Tony Keady : Galway . You could include Gerry McInerney here also, although I don't know how much of the 80's he was around for.

All fine hurlers listed but I don't think you read the OP very carefully, esp the bolded part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

sasol wrote: »

The cork lads won in 84 and 86 so you are wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The cork lads won in 84 and 86 so you are wrong here.

John Callinan is the only one on the list that hasn't won one, as I said above he clearly didn't read the OP correctly, Callinan is a good shout though!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

All fine hurlers listed but I don't think you read the OP very carefully, esp the bolded part!

I made a balls of that.

I didn't read the "never to win an all-Ireland" part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

Leo Turley - Laois

Stefan White - Louth

Kevin O'Brien - Wicklow (already mentioned)

There is a Down and a Leitrim player neither of whose names I recall at the moment who I will look up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Matt Connor - Offaly. One of the most natural and gifted players of his generation, part of the famous 1982 Offaly team that beat Kerry in the final. His playing career was sadly cut short by a car accident, but he was a remarkable footballer. Maurice Fitzgerald was the closet i've seen to matching his style and football abiliity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Matt Connor - Offaly. One of the most natural and gifted players of his generation, part of the famous 1982 Offaly team that beat Kerry in the final. His playing career was sadly cut short by a car accident, but he was a remarkable footballer. Maurice Fitzgerald was the closet i've seen to matching his style and football abiliity

Every season Matt Connor played Intercounty football he was the top scorer in ireland in league and championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

He has an All-Ireland medal so does not qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Every season Matt Connor played Intercounty football he was the top scorer in ireland in league and championship.

Sorry just read the title, players who havent won an All Ireland medal, but in fairness, he was a player that should have won more. If he did not have that accident , who knows how many more winning medals he would have collected...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Those deemed the 15 best hurlers of the 1980s never to win an All-Ireland will be honoured at the final next Sunday. Two that I thought unlucky to lose out were Sean Hehir and Joe Henry,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

feargale wrote: »
    Those deemed the 15 best hurlers of the 1980s never to win an All-Ireland will be honoured at the final next Sunday. Two that I thought unlucky to lose out were Sean Hehir and Joe Henry,
    That guy was a one man team throughout the 1980s, shame he never got a run out in the Railway Cup I always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That guy was a one man team throughout the 1980s, shame he never got a run out in the Railway Cup I always thought.

He did actually, and won two, I think, with Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

fearruanua wrote: »
    Well lads and ladies. I'm doing a bit of research at the moment for a friend of mine for a future project. Question I have is..

Who do ye think are some of the greatest footballers and hurlers who played in the 1980's never to win an all-ireland medal?

Thanks in advance. Players and counties.

I'll start by saying

Willie Joe Padden (Mayo)

Interesting - http://comms.irishtimes.com/stars-of-the-80s/2013/.ashx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Neil PAtterson Antrim. Slip of a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Advertisement