Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homepage Redesign Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Thanks for taking on board some of the suggestions.

It looks good- I still find the old one a bit easier to read with the columns but I'll get used to this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just noticed something... since when did images in-thread start resizing when you shrink the browser? Cool. This just a Chrome thing? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Dades wrote: »
    I don't really use the homepage at all, I really just open any Boards page and use the "My Forums" dropdown.

That said having had a mooch through it I find it difficult to see where the Forum name ends and the thread title begins. The text for both is the same colour, wight, size etc. Possibly more padding could alleviate this.

Also, I still there's a lot of white space (okay, dark space). So much so that I wonder if you couldn't just keep all the info on one line and truncate long thread titles. Would be interesting to see how that might look - perhaps it was tested and proved to be too much of a wall of text.

I do like the overall look, though. Very clean and sharp. :)

I get what you are saying, I think keeping all the info on one line was floated but not workable as it did end up being a wall of text.
    Just noticed something... since when did images in-thread start resizing when you shrink the browser? Cool. This just a Chrome thing? :)

I've no idea, that is quite cool though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Much better but I think the Forum name needs to be in a Column rather then attached to the Thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

sKeith wrote: »
    Can you unbold the Forum name
    After Hours | Trivial things that annoy you

Would rather if everything was unbolded tbh. It's all a bit heavy on the eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

o1s1n wrote: »

I was under the impression they were going to add unread bold / read unbold feature in the future. There is no reason to include forum in this, and as you said, its heavy on the eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Actually instead of the | after the Forum could you add and arrow -->

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The new home page is painful to navigate. Its a pity you couldnt keep boards.ie/? as it was before.

There is not enough content to browse, and what there is is spread over the page too much. How do you even get to the last post you have read, it just takes me to the first page :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The tab stuff never bothered me it's just that there are only 25 threads were in the older version there were 50 threads in the same space. And now http://www.boards.ie/? is bringing us to the new home page so I'm not too happy.

Not sure if anything can or will be done about it but I just thought I'd give my view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hi, thanks for the improvements so far

Could you please reduce the font size by one (I think it's one? one zoom on my mouse wheel anyway, lol) on the homepage, it's too big and out of sync with everything else and makes it more difficult to read

I would also like to echo the number of posts thing being added in a bracket again right beside the title, it's much easier than having to go hunting on the right

And lastly the forum name in a column suggestion too
    edit: Ignore the forum thing now, did you guys just change that? :o It's good it's at the start!

• Advertisement

There used to be a thing where once you logged out, you would be taken straight back to the forum/page you were viewing before you did. This was really useful for posting privately in forums that allow for anonymous posting. Now it directs you straight back to the front page. This is a tiny bit annoying - is there anyway to move back to the way it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Looks better but www.boards.ie/? doesn't work anymore. Shame but I suppose ye can't have people not using the new page I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That said having had a mooch through it I find it difficult to see where the Forum name ends and the thread title begins. The text for both is the same colour, wight, size etc. Possibly more padding could alleviate this.

Agreed, same here. It would be better if there was a clearer distinction between the two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

There used to be a thing where once you logged out, you would be taken straight back to the forum/page you were viewing before you did. This was really useful for posting privately in forums that allow for anonymous posting. Now it directs you straight back to the front page. This is a tiny bit annoying - is there anyway to move back to the way it was?

We pass a redirect param when logging in from a particular forum / thread view, after a quick think there shouldn't be any reason we can't do the inverse.

Let us take a look into it, I can't put any sort of timeline on implementation at the moment but we'll definitely stick it on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I don't really use the homepage at all, I really just open any Boards page and use the "My Forums" dropdown.

5iLBx8.png

Also, I still there's a lot of white space (okay, dark space). So much so that I wonder if you couldn't just keep all the info on one line and truncate long thread titles. Would be interesting to see how that might look - perhaps it was tested and proved to be too much of a wall of text.

I do like the overall look, though. Very clean and sharp. :)

Perhaps having the forum name in its own section to the left, similar to how the posts and thanks metrics have their own sections would help make it easier to distinguish between the forum and thread name and also fill up a bit of the white space?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The tab stuff never bothered me it's just that there are only 25 threads were in the older version there were 50 threads in the same space. And now http://www.boards.ie/? is bringing us to the new home page so I'm not too happy.

Not sure if anything can or will be done about it but I just thought I'd give my view.

Now that we are forced to use the "Improved" page, I'd also like to see the option for a condensed View that doesn't use so much whitespace, so we can see 50 lines where there are now only 25.

Nate

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's much better now.

Still a few problems:

1 - Forum name needs it's own column. The OCD in me hates having the start of the thread titles out of line. Plus it just looks untidy. Having forum name in it's own column to the left would tidy things up, and take care of a lot of that nasty whitespace.

2 - Can the background colour be made slightly darker please? I'm still finding it hard to distinguish.

3 - Can a button be added next to the name of the last poster to go to the very last post in the thread? Similar to the one in the CP? 262302.JPG

o1s1n wrote: »
    sKeith wrote: »
    I was under the impression they were going to add unread bold / read unbold feature in the future. There is no reason to include forum in this, and as you said, its heavy on the eyes.

Regarding the forum name it is bold, as it was too hard to scan threads when it wasn't bold. We hope to roll out bold/unbolded unread/read eventually. Our designers tried a lot of iterations of forum and thread font styling and size - this one worked best.

bluewolf wrote: »
    hi, thanks for the improvements so far

Could you please reduce the font size by one (I think it's one? one zoom on my mouse wheel anyway, lol) on the homepage, it's too big and out of sync with everything else and makes it more difficult to read

I would also like to echo the number of posts thing being added in a bracket again right beside the title, it's much easier than having to go hunting on the right

And lastly the forum name in a column suggestion too
    edit: Ignore the forum thing now, did you guys just change that? :o It's good it's at the start!

Cheers for the feedback bluewolf, I'll add it to our list now :)

Regarding the forum name it is bold, as it was too hard to scan threads when it wasn't bold. We hope to roll out bold/unbolded unread/read eventually. Our designers tried a lot of iterations of forum and thread font styling and size - this one worked best.

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but is there any merit in giving the forum name its own column? It'd read much neater. I like neat :o

EnterNow wrote: »
    Forgive me if this has already been answered, but is there any merit in giving the forum name its own column? It'd read much neater. I like neat :o

We all like neat :) It has been requested, again we're going to review all feedback next week-this has been mentioned a few times at this stage.

• Advertisement

We all like neat :) It has been requested, again we're going to review all feedback next week-this has been mentioned a few times at this stage.

Ah cool, sure once its considered is all we can ask :) Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

It's a bit better but with the whole top line being bolded it makes it hard to distinguish between the thread title and forum name when glancing quickly. You're sort of forced to read the forum name first then the thread otherwise you're eyes have to bounce everywhere. This is because the threads start at different points due to the varying length of the forum name.

Here's another layout I threw together, 50/50 mix of the old and new layout... everything is organised but doesn't look like an excel document In my opinion it's easier to read when there's a clear distinction between the different info similar to this

http://i.imgur.com/hJz02vm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

It's better than it was for sure but why are the headers in a different style to the skin I'm using? Why is Sys under boards.ie? Why is Talk To.. on the extreme left (I can guess this one)?
    I'm using the boards.ie beta skin and the way it displays all the forums in a category when I hover over it is a lot better than the homepage which makes you hover and then click to see further sub-forums.

Great, looks like the new version loads up when clicking the top logo now so the old version is gone. I really hate the new layout, to have each thread take up more space than on the old version and yet have less useful information is hilarious tbh.
    EDIT: Using it is even worse than looking at it. Having the last post link away from the thread title along with the ridiculous amount of scrolling needed makes navigation awfully clunky.

I'm going to reiterate what I said in my first post:
    Please remember that whilst we greatly appreciate and review all feedback, simply saying "I hate it" or "Change it back" are not constructive posts. Any abusive posts will be removed.

Just a heads up for everyone, HQ staff will definitely be afk this weekend so if you leave feedback or have questions and are hoping for a response it will not be seen until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I haven't read through every post in both threads so I apologise if this has been answered but can I just ask what is the point of the "thanks" column?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

NNNNNnooooooooo. My theme has now been updated with the new home page.

Is there any scope for allowing us refuseniks to keep the old system or is this the way she goes from here on out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I haven't read through every post in both threads so I apologise if this has been answered but can I just ask what is the point of the "thanks" column?

It's so people can view the posts with an insane amount of thanks to see what all the fuss is about. Useless to most people but I can imagine some would use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

NNNNNnooooooooo. My theme has now been updated with the new home page.

Is there any scope for allowing us refuseniks to keep the old system or is this the way she goes from here on out?

No, we're going to be forced to use this. They already removed the working version of the old homepage after only a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A table please. Also, if you're going to persist with this layout, thanks is going to be a very low priority data entry for most people, it does not deserve its own column in this.

Secondly, a virgin threads tab, preferably able to be narrowed to category, would be useful for spam hunting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement